Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Islam

  1. #21
    Fanatic Enthusiast Luke's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Blot
    My opinion is justified due to my personal experiences. You can't say it isn't because you don't know every aspect of what has lead to this opinion of mine. I've had run ins with Islamic people, same with Christians. The latter were much friendlier, and didn't try and start any physical confrontation. Just the same as how I hate majority of Aboriginals. You can scream and shout that my opinion isn't justified, but in reality it is.
    In short; my personal experiences outweigh any actuality and despite it being centralised in my particular area, I believe it to be the entire group of people based on the few I have encountered. Brilliant logic.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

    |PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

  2. #22
    Veteran Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Quote Originally Posted by Blot
    My opinion is justified due to my personal experiences. You can't say it isn't because you don't know every aspect of what has lead to this opinion of mine. I've had run ins with Islamic people, same with Christians. The latter were much friendlier, and didn't try and start any physical confrontation. Just the same as how I hate majority of Aboriginals. You can scream and shout that my opinion isn't justified, but in reality it is.
    In short; my personal experiences outweigh any actuality and despite it being centralised in my particular area, I believe it to be the entire group of people based on the few I have encountered. Brilliant logic.
    It's better to judge on personal experience rather than the personal experiences of others. You said it yourself, the media is biased.

  3. #23
    Fanatic Enthusiast Luke's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Blot
    It's better to judge on personal experience rather than the personal experiences of others. You said it yourself, the media is biased.
    Person experiences do not directly correlate with a media bias. Nor does judging a large group of people who globally possess the same or near-same beliefs on a minority within said group.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

    |PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

  4. #24
    Veteran Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Quote Originally Posted by Blot
    It's better to judge on personal experience rather than the personal experiences of others. You said it yourself, the media is biased.
    Person experiences do not directly correlate with a media bias. Nor does judging a large group of people who globally possess the same or near-same beliefs on a minority within said group.
    I never said they do correlate with media bias. That's the point. My personal experience is so different to what the media and social media spews. And that's why I believe in what I do. I don't force my opinion on anyone, I simply just voice it. And no one should be able to deny that my opinion is correct, because it is correct to me, because of my experiences. Freedom of speech.

  5. #25
    Senior Member manmat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    408

    Re: Islam

    You should base you views on WHAT THE CASE ACTUALLY IS.
    I.E. the facts.
    Your experience would have to be extremely varied and wide to form the correct opinion about it.
    So unless you spend your time looking into Islam, studying theology, social theories and other religions, your personal experience is probably wrong

    Also anyone can deny your opinion is correct, as denying it also comes under freedom of speech.
    You are EITHER wrong or right about the actual state of affairs, you might wish to make it your aim to collate as much information as possible about the subject, and THEN form an opinion.
    Otherwise people with more experience won't listen to you.
    AnimationsGoogle|PA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Win_Guy
    Energy doesn't obey the laws of physics

  6. #26
    Veteran Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: Islam

    It's never wrong to me though. That's the argument I'm putting forward. And for something like dealing with Islamic extremists, there is no factual information. Everything is interpretive on what other people have experienced. Am I meant to take their opinion as gospel? No. I'd prefer to take my opinion, which yes I have studied a lot into Islam, and a number of other religions and cultures for that matter. My opinion is really based on a physical interaction with these people. I didn't say it was always unpleasant, but majority of the time it was.

  7. #27
    Senior Member manmat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    408

    Re: Islam

    Quote Originally Posted by Blot
    It's never wrong to me though. That's the argument I'm putting forward. And for something like dealing with Islamic extremists, there is no factual information. Everything is interpretive on what other people have experienced. Am I meant to take their opinion as gospel? No. I'd prefer to take my opinion, which yes I have studied a lot into Islam, and a number of other religions and cultures for that matter. My opinion is really based on a physical interaction with these people. I didn't say it was always unpleasant, but majority of the time it was.
    Well that's all very interesting but not debate worthy if you get what I mean. Trying to take your personal experience and apply it to the whole of Islam would be inaccurate. Also, you can go around and ask as many people as possible about their experience of Islamic people in different countries which would also be useful - You would need to ask MANY people, and all this would tell you is what people think about Islam.
    Muslims can be bad Muslims so the ones you have met may not reflect Islam
    AnimationsGoogle|PA Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Win_Guy
    Energy doesn't obey the laws of physics

  8. #28
    Fanatic Enthusiast Luke's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Islam

    Blot, I honestly think you should reconsider what you are trying to say, the main points that I see in your posts are:

    - Islam is bad, but all religion

    That is cool but that does nothing to the debate on Islam, if that is your opinion, why are you still here?

    - My Aunty is a Muslim

    So? You keep using this, it means nothing. I have family who are Christian, that doesn't somehow make me more knowledgeable on Christianity.

    - Muslims in my area are bad, that is my personal experience?

    Once again; so? I've had bad experiences with a few Polynesians, that doesn't mean that all Polynesians are bad and it is wilfully ignorant of me to possess such a claim based on the actions of a few people.

    - I've done a lot of research on Islam, a topic which angers me

    You obviously need to do a lot more and focus on a less bias approach. You can research anything from any perspective, it doesn't make your knowledgeable on the subject it just makes you more biased. Also I understand your extreme views you have posted prior. Before you respond, do some more research, especially around the 1970s, also try reading the Kite Runner.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

    |PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

  9. #29
    Veteran Enthusiast


    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Perth, WA
    Posts
    6,385

    Re: Islam

    I've read the Kite Runner. I just dislike how you keep saying that my opinion is wrong. And I've said a number of times it isn't wrong to me. My opinion is 100% right in my eyes. I never said all of Islam is bad. I just said there's more extremist Islamic believers compared to extremist Christians.
    You're not doing a very good job of convincing me I'm wrong by just saying "you're wrong, you can't base it on personal experience." I can, and will.

  10. #30
    Fanatic Enthusiast Luke's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,706

    Re: Islam

    I never said you were wrong. The only thing I mentioned that is close to that is your claim that modern Christianity is less violent than modern day Islam. All I am saying is that there is minimal validity to all of your claims ergo I fail to support your conclusion on that basis. You have every right to assume that you are "right" assuming this is a black and white, wrong and right argument, I just cannot agree with your argument based on my previous point, but that does mean I am telling you that your opinion is wrong.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

    |PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |


 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •