Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Islam

Islam

So I've noticed some people here have strong opinions about the religion of Islam, so a thread dedicated to this debate seemed in order.

Is Islam inherently evil? Is Islam a religion of peace? Is Islam no different from any other religion?

My opinion:
    [spoiler:3saei8ks]I personally see no difference between Islam and any other major religion, except that Muslims seem to have more radicals then say Christianity, I wouldn't say they're more radical in general, I've known Muslims, they're not crazy, and I'm not saying Christians never commit acts of evil, murders and bombings are done in the name of Christianity to this day, but it's certainly more common for Muslims to do it.[/spoiler:3saei8ks]
    -

I don't mean to cause any hate with this, so if we could keep this debate as civil as possible that would be best.

___
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashed
    tl;dr: The forum is dying, so is pivot

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Islam

I agree with what you said. There are preachings in both the bible and the Q'ran that state how we should deal with those who go against the writings and teachings in said books. The difference I can see is that Christians have for the most part abolished the real nasty acts of violence from the new wave of Christian teachings (i.e. no more stoning and such) but as for the Q'ran I can't say the same.

It does come down to the radicals, and like you said, there is maybe more radicals who follow Islam, than there is Christianity, Buddhism, or Judaism.

My aunty is Islamic, when my uncle married her, he had to convert. Both my cousins are Islamic. They are great to have around. It's never the religion itself, just the stupid people who believe every word it says, and can't think for themselves.

I wouldn't say that there are more Islamic radicals than Christian; more that they just tend to lean toward violence more often, where most Christians (note: Western Christians) have a deluded sense of self worth and wouldn't put themselves on the line like that.

I don't think the teachings of the Quran are evil. I believe a lot of "terrorist" acts are bought on by social and environmental upbringings within a community that has seen a lot of hard times. Evil is also a subjective term entirely from the viewpoint of the person being wronged. We can't say that any act of Islamic radicals is evil, it may be awful for people but hell; for a community bombarded consistently with violence whilst maintaining an awful economy, it's pretty normal for your family members to die.

In my opinion all religions... Maybe bar Buddhism (for obvious reasons), are as bad as one another. They cause people to believe in something; sometimes so strongly that their ideals shift entirely as to make this deity happy; or so entirely that they believe they are superior to/deserve more than others.
    But believe me Christians and Jews can be just as awful to other human beings when they have the power to.

Neo

It's never the religion itself, just the stupid people who believe every word it says, and can't think for themselves.
    I completely agree. Sometimes I feel as if Islam does not have more radicals, and the media tends to make it it look as if they do, and as a Muslim myself people have questioned me about things like this whenever I say that I've been to Pakistan, for example. Another thing people question me about is the maltreatment of women. Some people even criticize me for being a Muslim as they tell me I am almost supporting this maltreatment, and in some western cultures, they make it seem as though this is because of the quraan and sunnah, when really in the quraan no such commands are written.

Maybe bar Buddhism (for obvious reasons)
    explain please? Why are Buddhist in anyway separate from other religions?

|Pivot|YouTube|Easytoon|Flash|Animation Blog|Want some CC?

Ranks
    Spoiler:
    Intermediate: 11th November 2012

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

There is actually a lot of violence inspired by Buddhism, you just don't hear about it that much. Some examples that come to mind are Pol Pot's genocide in Cambodia, Tibetan Buddhism, and a lot of the kamikaze pilots during World War 2.

I'll explain in greater detail later, still in class, rofl.

Neo

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclon
    There is actually a lot of violence inspired by Buddhism, you just don't hear about it that much. Some examples that come to mind are Pol Pot's genocide in Cambodia, Tibetan Buddhism, and a lot of the kamikaze pilots during World War 2.

I'll explain in greater detail later, still in class, rofl.
    that's what I was thinking, and a more recent example, the buddhist killing the muslims in Burma.m Buddhism itself isn't talked about as much in the media.

|Pivot|YouTube|Easytoon|Flash|Animation Blog|Want some CC?

Ranks
    Spoiler:
    Intermediate: 11th November 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Neo
    Maybe bar Buddhism (for obvious reasons)
    explain please? Why are Buddhist in anyway separate from other religions?
    I'm sorry, I was being sarcastic. Should have made that more obvious, but was very tired when I posted.

Well Islam is not inherently evil.
    The current state of affairs might make it seem that way, but it just isn't...
    There are many social, economic and political reasons why the extremists are acting as they are and where they are. The fact that they are Muslims is really not even relevant.

Christians used to be the same.
    The Crusades is an example.

It chops and changes but really, all that is "evil" or corrupting is human nature.
    Religion is just one of an indefinite number of ways this nature expresses itself.
    People cause wars and violence - not religion, not ideologies - just good old human nature.

EDIT: having said that, I am currently reading the Quran and this guy just wont fucking shut up about how bad the Jews are at being Jews. Constantly knocking the way they kill all the prophets etc. - I think the author(s) were bullied by some bigger Jewish kids at school.

Also I THINK the Quran was written during a time of persecution which may also make it more prone to interpretations of violence - when compared to the new testament for example.
    AnimationsGoogle|PA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Win_Guy
    Energy doesn't obey the laws of physics

1 Post Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by TheRavenHouse
    Is Islam inherently evil?

The viewpoint of Islam is that the universe is the creation of Allah who is One. He alone is its Master, Sovereign and Sustainer, and it is functioning under His command. He is All-powerful and Omniscient.
    Man is His creature, subject and servant and is born to serve and obey Him. These correct course of life for man is to live in complete obedience to Him. And it is for Allah, not man, to determine the mode of that worship and obedience.

At certain times Allah has raised Prophets for the guidance of humanity and has revealed His books through them. It is the duty of man to live his life according to the dictates of Allah and to follow the Divine guidance.
    Is Islam a religion of peace?
    Islam is not a new religion, but the same truth that God revealed through all His prophets to every people.
    Muslims follow a religion of peace, mercy, and forgiveness, and the majority have nothing to do with the extremely grave events which have come to be associated with their faith.
    As Muslims, we realize this fact more than most people, as the peace of many of our brothers and sisters in various parts of the globe has been tragically disrupted: Palestine, Chechnya, Afghanistan, Kashmir, and other locales.
    In the Arabic language, the word peace is derived from the radicals S-L-M. The scholars of language mention closely related terms that can be derived from this origin: Salam, Salamah, Silm, Islam and Salm.

Is Islam no different from any other religion?
    The basic message of false religion is that God maybe worshipped in the form of His creation. False religion invites man to the worship of creation by calling the creation or some aspect of it God. For example, prophet Jesus invited his followers to worship God, but those who claim to be Jesus' followers today call people to worship Jesus, claiming that he was God.

The Arabic word ''Islam'' means the submission or surrender of one's will to the only true God, known in Arabic as "Allah". One who submits his will to God is termed in Arabic a "Muslim". The religion of Islam is not named after a person or a people, nor was it decided upon by later generations of man, as in the case of Christianity which was named after Jesus Christ, Buddhism after Gotama Buddha.
    The basic message of God's divine religion, Islam, is the worship of God alone. It also requires the avoidance of worship directed to any person, place or thing other than God.

@ the angel.
    The Jews also worship God alone.
    Islam is Mono-theistic, closest in its teachings to Judaism which names no man as God also.
    AnimationsGoogle|PA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Win_Guy
    Energy doesn't obey the laws of physics

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast