Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Marijuana Vs Cigarrettes

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils
    Quote Originally Posted by manmat1 View Post
    Weed reduces your IQ.
    That's based on a correlation but given my experience of people who didn't and now do smoke weed it seems to be true.
    Then again anyone who chooses to smoke anything is a moron.
    =D
    Not true at all. It can make some people depressed, unmotivated, reliant on outside stimulus for short term happiness, and generally a burden to everyone close to them, yes. But it can also help others become more in-tune with other people's emotions, strengthen their passion for nature and the arts, inspire them to become a more loving person, etc. For me, weed came at an important time in my life when I was beginning to question everything I've been told about how the universe works, and find a deeper purpose in the world and within my own life. It helped me to put down barriers of ego, listen to the quieter aspects of life, understand other perspectives, and achieve other things that shaped me to be the person I am today. I won't pretend a plant was God or anything, but I can't deny the positive effect it had on my life.

It all depends on the attitude you have before you allow it to influence your life, just like any other force. It's only a tool. Video games can turn people into lazy, angry douchebags, and inspire others creatively and logically to solve puzzles and make the best out of the resources they're given. Books can inspire some to explore the world and attempt to see through the eyes of other people, and cause others to reject reality and escape to find comfort in a false existence.

EDIT: Also, let's examine the effects of marijuana itself, and NOT the smoke. ANY sort of smoke is unhealthy for you, it would be pretty foolish to say otherwise.

About cigarettes, I don't like them at all, and I personally don't see any benefit that can be derived from them. BUT, while I have my reasons to dislike them, I think that people who smoke them should be treated with respect. There are some assholes I know who make snide remarks when they see a guy casually enjoying a cig on the streets, totally minding his own business.
    Last edited by Psyclon; 28 Jun 2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Clarification
    TheRavenHouse likes this.

Veteran Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MEn View Post
    ??

If everything is inconsistent with everyone then all scientific research for humans is absolutely useless under this premise. Yes, while everyone's brains are unique and everyone shares different opinions, that has no relevance to the physical aspect of humans, disregarding outliers. Chronic smoking will have the same effect on someone's lungs as another person's, because lungs are physically the same in humans if disregarding extreme epigenetic effects on it. Smoking has been scientifically supported to be detrimental to one's cardiorespiratory health. Due to nature's entropy, a smoker's chance to have the inevitable delayed fails to support your claim that all effects will differ for every human being.
    I never said that. Science still hasn't determined how one person can smoke say 5 cigarettes a day and doesn't get lung cancer, compared to someone who smokes 5 cigarettes a month and does.
    I wasn't talking just physically, mentally everyone is different. Drugs will effect people differently, like weed and cigarettes (nicotine in cigarettes is a drug). Someone like myself smoked both, but was never addicted, and I found it extremely easy to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    This is simply wrong. People with higher levels of intelligence are naturally curious and actually are more likely to experiment with drugs. Additionally, weed has literally no effect on intelligence levels.

I personally don't smoke either, but get your facts straight. As for the debate, it seems that cigarettes are far worse than marijuana since they're both addictive/harmful.
    I already said its a correlation.
    It IS true in the sense that in a given study of people who did and didn't smoke weed, the ones who smoked weed became less intelligent.
    Source - BBC News - Young cannabis smokers run risk of lower IQ, report claims
    @stark
    Its not the same principle
    A single doughnut is not harmful to you in itself.
    A SINGLE cigarette / joint is harmful in any amount because of the smoke they emmit
    AnimationsGoogle|PA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Win_Guy
    Energy doesn't obey the laws of physics

Veteran Enthusiast

But it isn't that much more damage than a doughnut will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark View Post
    But it isn't that much more damage than a doughnut will do.
    Yes it is.
    Much much more.
    Smoking increases the chances of;
    Coronary heart disease by 2 to 4 times,
    Stroke by 2 to 4 times,
    Men developing lung cancer by 23 times,
    Women developing lung cancer by 13 times, and
    Dying from chronic obstructive lung diseases (such as chronic bronchitis and emphysema) by 12 to 13 times.
    Eating doughnuts 1, doesn't have any effect on the respiratory system, 2, has a FAR lesser effect on the other's mentioned above.

If you eat 5 doughnuts a day and exercise properly, the increased risk of the above diseases is incredibly small.
    If you smoke 5 cigs a day and exercise properly, the increased risk of the above diseases is very large.

Which is worse cannabis / cigarettes?
    Cigarettes, the cost to the person smoking and everyone else and the economic cost is much larger than that of weed.

Does this mean weed should be legal?
    No it means cigarettes should be Illegal.
    AnimationsGoogle|PA Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Win_Guy
    Energy doesn't obey the laws of physics

Veteran Enthusiast

I'm not even going to continue to argue with you because I fucking hate arguing with you.

I'm not even going to continue to argue with you because I fucking hate arguing with you.
    Honestly he's making sense so far, and I agree with most of what he's saying.

Eating a donut and smoking a cig/joint affect you in incredibly different ways, cigs/joint being the worse one by far.

They each affect different bodysystems (for the most part), and the only thing you have to worry about is burning the calories you intake and watching out for hydrogenated fat in a donut. For smoked tobacco/marijuana, you're going to get some more serious problems in the long term (although like i said, it's based on a lot of variables).

(Also, I thought it was general knowledge that cigs fuck you up? Didn't we have this huge change in the tobacco industry like in the last ~30 years or so to raise awareness?)

But still, though. Do whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by manmat1 View Post
    I already said its a correlation.
    It IS true in the sense that in a given study of people who did and didn't smoke weed, the ones who smoked weed became less intelligent.
    Source - BBC News - Young cannabis smokers run risk of lower IQ, report claims
    @stark
    Its not the same principle
    A single doughnut is not harmful to you in itself.
    A SINGLE cigarette / joint is harmful in any amount because of the smoke they emmit
    Disregarding the fact that correlation doesn't imply causation, we have two studies that are directly conflicting. It seems that there really hasn't been enough research done to properly test long-term cognitive effects of marijuana.

If you don't know the guy on the other side of the world, love him anyway because he's just like you. He has the same dreams, the same hopes and fears. It's one world, pal. We're all neighbors.

MEn

I never said that. Science still hasn't determined how one person can smoke say 5 cigarettes a day and doesn't get lung cancer, compared to someone who smokes 5 cigarettes a month and does.
    The high entropy that exists within nature is why some people have the inevitable delayed. Like I said, beyond extreme epigenetic effects on a human/outliers, it is scientifically supported that the average Joe has an increased chance of receiving lung cancer. While nothing can be proven through experimental procedures, there is enough darn evidence to favor the conclusions of a cigarettes detrimental effects on a person's health, such as an increased risk of cardiorespiratory diseases.

Simply put, nature is random as fuck, but smoking increases the chances of lung disease. It's like before smoking, you choose a number between 1-1,000,000 in order to select a randomly generated number, where as after smoking, you choose a number between 1-1,000 to pick a single, randomly generated number. The majority of people will choose the wrong number, but there will still be more people choosing the randomly generated number when they have a much more narrow selection compared to a broader selection.

The main point of everything in life is everything effects people differently. Everyone is different. Some people will benefit from smoking weed, some won't. Someone like my father can smoke cigarettes majority of his life, and not get lung cancer, while others could have a packet and get lung cancer.
    Your conclusion implies a physical aspects within a human being, which implies your premise to involve physical aspects in a human being rather than emotional/mental aspects. This is why I misunderstood.

Sorry, but potentially bullshitted statistics are much more convincing than a observed sample of two people.
    Last edited by MEn; 30 Jun 2013 at 04:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cold_sausage
    tht is a 2 word post pls add more 2 yor comment or i will report you to the mods

i dun think this is real just fake

Banned
    Why not neither?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast