Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Piracy

I don't see it as a bad thing, I like to try something out before I actually BUY it.
    And if I like it I'll support it by paying the money.

If I enjoy something I download, I usually buy it if I have the money. I also usually download something if I do not have any access to the media at hand, such as a rare limited print album. Basically anything that I cannot get otherwise. As far as I see, I'd be flattered if people went out of their way to download something that I made without buying it. Sure, it'd be awesome to get money out of the deal, but having someone care enough about your product to commit an illegal crime just to have access to it says something. Many artists are actually becoming more and more in favor of it. Maybe that's the wrong use of words, but many artists either have, or threatened to leak their albums so their fans can hear it. Death Grips released NO LOVE DEEP WEB without Epic's word, and the very talented James Blake even said this year, about his solid new album, Overgrown, that "I don't care if you download my new album for free". Danny Brown, and MIA also dropped hints at them leaking their own albums earlier so people can download them (this would still be illegal) without having to purchase. I think that pirating is becoming a new things that even the respectful artists are caring less and less about. Of course, I only covered music in this post, but that's all I really care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Minifrij View Post
    I realize this, and I can understand why they would, but it is the sheer lengths that companies go to to try and stop piracy. Take The Pirate Bay for example. In an attempt to stop piracy Paypal stopped funding a VPN ran by one of the creators of The Pirate Bay. This is no worse than piracy as they are directly taking money away from one business.
    Paypal is only doing their job. With the advancement in technology, people have found new ways to scam people out of their hard-earned money and steal sensitive confidential user information. I'm up to date with the news as much as the next person is but if I were in charge of Paypal, I would have done the same thing in freezing assets from a company/service I had not previously heard of and they were making thousands if not millions in such a short time span. This is the thing that people blow out of proportion completely, they automatically jump ship and call "piracy" on something that might not have even involved previous track records or even illegal activities. Remember when Paypal froze Mojang's (Notch's) assets when Minecraft came out and people bought the game to the extreme? They are all safety precautions! If Paypal didn't ever freeze any assets and they allowed whatever, there would be lawsuits out the ass on them from people who have been legitimately scammed or have had identify theft issues whilst using the service. Paypal is a business, and it must comply with business standards much like ANY and I repeat ANY company that utilizes the Paypal service.
    Luke likes this.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Faded View Post
    Paypal is only doing their job. With the advancement in technology, people have found new ways to scam people out of their hard-earned money and steal sensitive confidential user information.
    Paypal is unnecessarily gung-ho and unpredictable with freezing accounts. The company is well-known for stunting the growth of small businesses by freezing large amounts of money with little explanation or co-operation for months, and sometimes years. It's funny that other reputable online money-handling services such as Skrill and PayMate can still operate securely and avoid situations like this. In fact the only reason that most businesses tolerate Paypal is because their customer base insists on using it.

I'm up to date with the news as much as the next person is but if I were in charge of Paypal, I would have done the same thing in freezing assets from a company/service I had not previously heard of and they were making thousands if not millions in such a short time span. This is the thing that people blow out of proportion completely, they automatically jump ship and call "piracy" on something that might not have even involved previous track records or even illegal activities. Remember when Paypal froze Mojang's (Notch's) assets when Minecraft came out and people bought the game to the extreme? They are all safety precautions! If Paypal didn't ever freeze any assets and they allowed whatever, there would be lawsuits out the ass on them from people who have been legitimately scammed or have had identify theft issues whilst using the service. Paypal is a business, and it must comply with business standards much like ANY and I repeat ANY company that utilizes the Paypal service.
    It isn't necessary for Paypal to freeze a company's funds for the sole reason that they're suddenly making a lot of money. Mojang weren't badly affected by this, but as I explained before it can be extremely damaging and even fatal for a business to have its funds frozen for months at a time. Paypal shouldn't be stunting quickly growing business like this when their only excuse is that they started making lots of money. It's not a necessary security measure, it's a badly-designed and damaging safeguard system.

Paypal is a business, and it must comply with business standards much like ANY and I repeat ANY company that utilizes the Paypal service.
    To any Europeans having trouble with Paypal, the company is actually registered as a Luxembourg bank and must comply with EU banking regulations. They would never advertise this publicly but it's interesting seeing as they seem to withold funds as they please and without warning instead of going through the necessary procedures that a normal EU bank must follow.
    Minifrij likes this.
    what is homo love?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12