Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color

KTU
    Dedicated Member

Color

I was talking(arguing*) with my friend about this yesterday. What if everyone interpreted colors differently? Like, in someone's mind, one color would look like a different color in someone else's mind, but they would both refer to it as the same name. For example, When I see purple, some one else also sees purple, right? Well, if I saw through that person's eyes, his interpreetation of purple would look like my interpretation of, say, green. But he would think of it as purple. There's no real way to test this. Also, if everyone had different conceptions of color, aestheticity (spelling or grammar check please?) would be different to everyone too. "Matching" colors would be different in everyone's mind. For example, if purple was the current fad, everyone would buy "purple" clothes. If everyone suddenly interpreted colors the same, no one would be "stylish" in someone else's eyes.

Of course, the only two colors I can think of that would have to look the same in everyone's eyes would be black (no color) and white (every color).

Which brings me to two conclusions:
    1) (more logical explanation) Since everyone's eyes are different, perhaps color interpretation is a randomly greated pattern created when you are developing your eyesight.

2) (some crazy theory I thought up last night) Color is not actually an essence, but a state of mind, which can only be altered by excessive manipulation. Say you were in a car accident, and you fractured your skull. Fragments of bone are lodged into your brain, and the brain itself is mashed against the other side of your head. Somehow, medical science has managed to save you, but now your sight is inverted, and all you can see is white (sound like blind to anyone?). However, medical science has invented a new mental therapy to cure your blindness so that you can see colors, but not at all what they had been before. Your whole world will look crazy to you since your conception of color will have been altered.

Think about it, and post your thoughts.
    [center:36nrfcqg][/center:36nrfcqg]

Man, I would hate to live in your world, you interpret things way to much. You remind me of my english teacher. Anyway, about the theory, it would be kinda easily tested. Jusy say:

llllllllllWhat color is this?
    llllllllllWhat color is this?

This would figure out people names for colors, if I am reading your post right. You other theory I am to tired to discuss, maybe I will edit this tommorow.

KTU
    Dedicated Member
    What I am saying is that those two colors look completely different to everyone, but everyone would still refer to them as red and green. If you were looking through my eyes, my "red" might look like your "teal", or your "purple". Everybody has the same name for colors, but the colors are just differently interpreted for other people.

lol, just like robots. They can see hues, saturation, alphanessisity (lol), and other things, but they have no perception of what it looks like to another robot, or if it looks like anytihng at all. This is a topic that has crossed my mind before, and I try not to fathom it, because it doesn't much matter right now.
    I'm gay.

I think the way it works is that majority wins. If four out of five dentists agree that this is orange, then it's orange.

Same thing could apply to anything. What if what we call an apple, is really a pear? Nobody knows, so it doesn't matter.

KTU
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toastmaster
    I think the way it works is that majority wins. If four out of five dentists agree that this is orange, then it's orange.

Same thing could apply to anything. What if what we call an apple, is really a pear? Nobody knows, so it doesn't matter.
    Agreed, but five out of five dentists will always agree that's orange, or that this is pink, or that that is green, because they have developed an eye that interprets that color as orange or pink or green, or any color for that matter.

And no, the same thing cannot apply to material objects, because other senses would interfere with sight. Pears do not have the same shape or texture or density as apples, nor do they taste the same. It's all a matter of perception.

Old Newbie
    Why am i posting here >_> Anyway,i've thought about this before and it seems to make sense but the only thing i can think of is that colors actually have properties that make them good at certain things.For example chlorophyll is not just green for no reason.It's because, and i quote:
    "The molecule contains special ring shaped structures that capture preferred wavelengths of light. Green is not "captured" so it is reflected back to our eye."
    If everyone saw colors differently then wouldn't things like chlorophyll be different through peoples eyes. To explain it better to a person who see's green as green then the plant would be healthy and would be capturing light properly.But to another person who say, saw green as yellow, the plant wouldn't be capturing the right light and would have to appear to be dying.
    If so, we are going into a theory that suggests we all see the world completely differently in terms of everything, not just colour but how things are surviving stuff that looks more burnt to one person than to another :_) and that would mean changing a LOT of proven scientific theories. :])
    The thign to remember is color is not just 'as we percieve through our eyes' but colors are different physically and effect everything.Color is all about light.How the protons respond to the color and go into our eyes and our brain analyses it and decides what color it is.
    "rhodopsin, the light-sensitive receptor protein in the disk membranes of rod cells, announces the arrival of this tiny pulse of light to the signaling machinery inside the cell."
    If colors were different to every person then so would how they react with light and since light is the source of all energy.The world would be VERY different to each person.

Yup this has come across my mind alot, ive treid to explain it to my freinds but they just think im crazy. But you explained it very well .

Soo say ...

Both Me and You are looking at an orange (as in fruit). We interprit that an orange is the colour orange < like we see ther

But in our minds we could see colours differntly:

Me: (-cool_) -looing at the orange.see the colour - Green
    You: wa_)( - looking at the ornage. see the colour-BLue

Because its impossible to describe what a colour is like, in our minds we have learnt that this colour is orange, even tho it could be seen as differnt colour to someone elses eyes, they also call this colour orange. so if this was true would ther even be a correct name for a colour ?

i think i got it lol. im just thick as shit and cant explain things well :P.

This is crazy, someone could see me as someone from blue man group.
    Yeah you might be right that we see colors differently.

KTU
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P-H-X
    Why am i posting here >_> Anyway,i've thought about this before and it seems to make sense but the only thing i can think of is that colors actually have properties that make them good at certain things.For example chlorophyll is not just green for no reason.It's because, and i quote:
    "The molecule contains special ring shaped structures that capture preferred wavelengths of light. Green is not "captured" so it is reflected back to our eye."
    If everyone saw colors differently then wouldn't things like chlorophyll be different through peoples eyes. To explain it better to a person who see's green as green then the plant would be healthy and would be capturing light properly.But to another person who say, saw green as yellow, the plant wouldn't be capturing the right light and would have to appear to be dying.
    If so, we are going into a theory that suggests we all see the world completely differently in terms of everything, not just colour but how things are surviving stuff that looks more burnt to one person than to another :_) and that would mean changing a LOT of proven scientific theories. :])
    The thign to remember is color is not just 'as we percieve through our eyes' but colors are different physically and effect everything.Color is all about light.How the protons respond to the color and go into our eyes and our brain analyses it and decides what color it is.
    "rhodopsin, the light-sensitive receptor protein in the disk membranes of rod cells, announces the arrival of this tiny pulse of light to the signaling machinery inside the cell."
    If colors were different to every person then so would how they react with light and since light is the source of all energy.The world would be VERY different to each person.
    No. Because if we all saw wolors differently, the person who saw green as yellow, would have grown up believing that yellow meant the plant was healthy, and that, say, purple mwant the plant was dying. It wouldn't prove anything except that everyone that has ever looked at a healthy plant knows that the leaves would be "green".

Which only leads to the conclusion that there is no definite color, and if there is one, it would be inpossible to fathom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast