Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: The Right To Death

The Right To Death

The debate section has been a bit empty lately, so I decided to make this to get people posting.

So the right to death: should it be legal? I think it's generally accepted that elderly people who are in severe pain should be able to ask for an "end", but I know some people don't agree with it. There are also some who believe any adult should be able to end their life, regardless of health.

So what do you guys think? Should any adult be able to request death/kill themselves if they feel the need to? Or should this be reserved for those near death or elderly folk who are hospitalized?

Here are some sources on the subject you can check out if you want to read up on this:

Right to die - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

RIGHT TO DIE --LAW AND LEGISLATION---two approaches to the right-to-die

A legal right to die: responding to slippery slope and abuse arguments

Discuss.
    See You Space Honkboy...

The Little Frij
    I believe that the right to die should be given, but only in special cases. For example, I believe that this should be able to happen. If a person is in extreme pain, or has nothing left to live for in the case of above then they should be able to end their lives at their own will.

If someone's life will not be any good to anyone and people around that person accept that, it should be an option to pull out the plug in my opinion. Not only is it better for someone to just die instead of being crippled in front of those close to them, it also takes up a spot in the hospital and costs a lot of resources to be kept alive. If we put that effort into something else it might save some other lives. If my dad would be in the hospital being a human plant with no realistic way of him being the person he once was I'd sign for him to be euthanized if possible for the forementioned reasons.

I think the debate on this for me is: when is a life meaningful enough to be kept alive and when's the chance of the person coming back slim enough to be euthanized?

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence
    If machines are actively keeping someone alive I think it should be the family's decision. Otherwise it shouldn't be allowed.

Though the truth is that no one's going to be able to stop people anyway so w/e. I don't believe in government endorsement in such things.

Banned
    Being plugged in machines under massive amount of pain isn't living, it's hell.

I wish I'm not in that situation, being useless on bed for years and years and years...

I think we're quite on a line here then.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

Banned
    I think people should be able to die if continuing their life is just truly unbearable. If the situation has even the slightest chance of improving then I don't think they should kill themselves. When I say this, I mostly mean people who are going through a rough time emotionally. If someone has a severe illness and truly has no hope then they should be able to go to sleep one last time.

DD addict
    More like a suicide, if you ask me. There should be no such thing as "the right to death". Death is a fate that awaits any living being. None should ask for his death no matter how hard the situation was. Commiting suicide give the impression of a weak personnality.

Quote Originally Posted by sifterpivoter View Post
    More like a suicide, if you ask me. There should be no such thing as "the right to death". Death is a fate that awaits any living being. None should ask for his death no matter how hard the situation was. Commiting suicide give the impression of a weak personnality.
    Locked-in syndrome sufferer Tony Nicklinson dies of pneumonia less than a week after losing a legal challenge for the right to end his life - Home News - UK - The Independent

You don't need the right to kill yourself.
    What are they gonna do,put you in jail?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast