Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Darkdemon Sociological Pyramid (possible debate)

Ok, well, the main point of this topic is for me to bring to light darkdemon.org's messed socialogical grouping. I've witnessed alot of things like this lately, and I think it should stop.

Ok, first off, when I first came here to darkdemon, everyone thought I was inter, BUT the mods said I needed to ahve a bigger gallery. NO other reason than that I needed more anims. I've seen this with alot of people. Also, the inter section. I've seen many people who are vets quality, that are being held back for no other reason than they don't have an animation that exceeds 300 frames.

In the past few days, I have seen people moved up into inter that don't deserve it, and some people moved into vets that don't deserve it (I won't name any names, but I will if utterly necessary). Now, there needs to be a SET rule setting for beginners, inters, vets, and elites, not the "Unwritten" honor code thing we have going now, and I believe that ONLY elites can decide whether or not they are ready. There have also been many people who have deserved higher rankings that haven't.

People like KTU (I know he got moved, but he should of been vets ages ago), bolt, and otehrs all deserve veterans. People like FF50(recently moved, yey) theories, and smoof have deserved elites for ages also.

Where am I getting at? People are being grouped socially by their animation skill, and also their post count. I've seen a ton of people with 700+ posts say dumb rules that aren't oriented towards following rules many times, and no one says anything. I've seen people with 50 posts make really good threads, and get put down and locked for ebing noobs. Wer need to re-orient our social status to not be decided by animation status or post count. Kinda messed up >.> If anyone dissagrees, please post.
    I'm gay.

I completely agree with you, I have been observing this mess myself.

Smoof should really be moved to Elites.
    My Thread - Courtesyplz.

Enthusiast
    I agree with you completely also...Quite frankly some of the decisions made in "move ups" are outrageous.

(note, i think FF550 completely deserves elites, but at the same time, so does smoof)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon

Sephy, your one sick fuck. But I cant help but laugh.

Forums are a community based system, and no matter if you're staff, elite, or just really respected, nothing you can say or do will change things unless everyone else changes as well. (and more often than not they won't)

EDIT: about what you said on people with lots of posts keeping topics, and new members getting their's locked:

I completely disagree, I've been a staff member longer than anyone here except DD Bert and LS, and I've never seen ANY staff lock a topic because the creator didn't have many posts.
    Perhaps it seems that way due to the fact that many of the rule-breaking topics are made by newer members, but nobody will ever decide something like that based on post count.

I disagree with you for most of it. The part with the 300+ frames. It's necessary to have a really long single animation, because it shows how consistent an animator can be over a very long period in the same animation. It's easier for him to make mistakes you see, which is a better test of his ability than showing us a lot of lucky 30-frame moves. Your thing about new people not being moved up to intermediate is just your opinion, not an actual fact. I know that stickid and eetwo were moved up when they posted in the beginner's section. Now that I think back, I was moved up to intermediates instantly too. So just because you weren't moved up is no reason to complain about sociology.

What I agree with you about is that people are classified by their animating ability, but I disagree with the post count. That has nothing to do with it really, it's just your opinion again and not actually a fact. I also agree about only elites deciding who to move up, and that specific guidelines should be set for beginners and intermediates to actually know what they're aiming for, instead of being given vague suggestions to "improve realism" or "make it longer".

About people being moved up too soon from beginners to intermediates, I'm taking the resposibility for that one. I posted a topic in the admin/mod chat area complaining about the amount of time it takes for beginners to be moved up. The general gist of it was that beginners are beginners for too long, often for over a year. When they get into intermediate, they're moved up to veterans in half the time it takes for them to get into intermediate. You'll just have to trust in my own opinion with Pivot animation for this. Although anyone who gets moved from intermediate to veteran unjustly isn't my fault.

In general though, I believe this is just a topic for you to specify people you like, and to express your wish that they be moved up. Which contradicts your own argument. Thanks for your time, I got a lot off my chest here. :P
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Dedicated Member
    True bahumat, but about the thing you said about animators needing to be able to keep up the animating quality throughout a long peroid of time to show their stamina, that's a rather complex thing to do, and i think that would be a requirement for a veteran move up, not an intermediate one.

Thanks to Baha for the uber sig!
    Whaddya mean it's not butter!?

Sounds like an excuse for laziness to me. What's the difference between making 10 30 frame animations and one 300 frame animation? None. Both are 300 frames.
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

I see your point mainly, and now I understand the situation better. But it still is kind of bogus that nothing has been done about some of the off things about the system (you metioned the "vague" directions givin to the beginners and inters). It was in philosophy, because I knew that not ewveryone would agree with my opinion, and that there would be innnevitable debate.
    I'm gay.

OkaY the pwnage answer by xemozu as always. you will NeVeR make everybody happy, im completely sure that a lot of people here dont agree what u say or vice-versa so really i think that is best let the things how it are. Now, my opinion... lets see oh, the post count well, it really depends, yeah its true that there are people that have only 50 post and are really good members, sometimes awesome, for example damon. he has like 100 or 200 post, and i really like him. but i am SURE that there aren't members whit +700 post and are just a dumb### because if they were im sure that darkdemon have banned them before the 30 post. lets see what other thing... oh yeah the +300 frame anim thing, i agree what bahamut says, but answering to someone that wrote this rule should be only applied to the vets when they are trying to get to elites i totally disagree whit him, cause how its gonna to be a veteran animator that still can't mantain his consistence in a long anim? and finally, u said that u have seen some people moved from begginers to inter or from inter to vets that DONT deserve it, remember that this is just your opinion and im sure that everyone dont think like you (me, for example) but i still like you a lot errr yep i think thats all

Sam
    Dedicated Member

Re: Darkdemon Sociological Pyramid (possible debate)

Quote Originally Posted by .:HiGhLy:.
    Where am I getting at? People are being grouped socially by their animation skill, and also their post count. I've seen a ton of people with 700+ posts say dumb rules that aren't oriented towards following rules many times, and no one says anything. I've seen people with 50 posts make really good threads, and get put down and locked for ebing noobs. Wer need to re-orient our social status to not be decided by animation status or post count. Kinda messed up >.> If anyone dissagrees, please post.
    I wont comment on the pivot part because i dont regulate that and dont keep up with it. Just because people have high post counts doesnt mean their opinions or comments mean anymore than a person who just joined, its all in ur head. Admins and mods lock threads as they see fit, and when another thinks it should be unlocked, its done. True, there are some threads that are locked that i dont see the need to be locked, dont think this goes without discussion. Personally, i think this forum is much more unbiased than some ive seen out there, but i do get where ur coming from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast