Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Big Crunch

The Big Crunch

You know the theory; if you don't, http://www.exitmundi.nl/bigcrunch.htm

So we're expanding. Eventually, we stop expanding and start to retract back into ourselves and time runs backwards.

But, if time runs backwards... does that mean it suddenly turns round without changing speed? Or will it slowly, gradually, get slower and slower as we approach the halfway mark of the existence of the Universe, then speed back up as it closes in on itself? For instance, a car has to slow down before it can go into reverse; will time have to do the same?

Perhaps time is slowing down right now, on such a minute scale, that changes cannot be sensed by twice as long after we die. Time will be incredibly slow just before the changing around, really, really small movements per second.

Also, if there is any life then... will it be completely confused and scared by time going backwards, or will its memories and thought processes be undone?

What do you think? Time will slow down, or time will suddenly turn on its head?
    My Thread - Courtesyplz.

Enthusiast
    No its not. We aren't slowing down, because we can measure how fast we're expanding with the redshift of galaxies.

Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

Enthusiast

Interesting thought:

The universe probably wouldn't shrink evenly. Some parts would begin shrinking before other parts, so the universe could not just completely become nonexistent. Some parts still expanding, others in reverse. You agree?

I think this because; how could, from the Big Bang, everything be distributed evenly among the universe?

Well I really don't understand this theory fully anyways.

Click here to find my latest old Pivot animations.
    Click here to find my good old Pivot animations.

Enthusiast
    I think this theory contradicts itself. It says in the big bang theory that the universe started as a infinitely small infinitely dense singularity. If it connects itself to the big bang theory then it can't say that the universe will run out because its infinitely dense. Also the end of the universe is nothing so no mater how massive the center of the universe becomes it can't pull nothing back into the middle.

Ultimate Flash Tutorial

Time is just an illusion, it doesn't exist.

Bert: Dont spam.

Enthusiast
    You can't see time but it can be measured so who's to say it doesn't exist.

Ultimate Flash Tutorial

Fanatic Enthusiast

"The gravity of all matter in the Universe combined may cause the inflation of the Universe to slow down, come to a halt -- and after that, the Universe would start shrinking again."

That's what the article says.

I do not believe that the whole universe will collapse into it's self. I don't see how they can predict what is going to happen, if the law of the universe switch around.

Law of Mass Conservation
    Matter changes form, but cannot be created nor destroyed

So how is it going to disappear, if matter can't be created or destroyed. Only if all the laws of the universe would cease to exist.

Also, your coffee would not, heat up, if your cool down. Everything would go to absolute zero and supposing that this is true, and if there was any life left, we would all freeze to death. Because everything would try to get rid of all entropy, so They would try to reach absolute zero. Since:

Third law of Thermo dynamics.
    "As a system approaches absolute zero of temperature all processes cease and the entropy of the system approaches a minimum value."

Unless that law also reverses, but then every thing would heat up to a maximum. So either way we'd be screwed.
    But I don't believe in it anyway. And the controversy in the article isn't making me believe it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU. THE POWER OF COHERENT THOUGHT COMPELS YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilio
    Time is just an illusion, it doesn't exist.
    Amswer me this: Does language exist?

Bert: don't spam
    I'm gay.

Enthusiast
    We are reality. If we were really all an illusion then that illusion would be reality.
    And yeh language exists.

Bert: don't spam

Ultimate Flash Tutorial

Fanatic Enthusiast

lets keep on topic guys, this isn't about nihilism, it's about the big crunch

i saw somewhere that the mass of the universe is constantly changing, what with solids to gases and gases to plasma, like the stuff that occurs in stars, ect

apparently most of the universe's mass is made up with quarks, and its these ridiculously small particles and their amount that will determine if the universe will begin to collapse or just continue expanding forever

so mass cant change, but weight can change which will govern the fate of the universe

so it could be a big crunch or not, thats the way i see it
    Elite Forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast