Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: My Own Run Test

MEn

My Own Run Test

http://**********.com/img/1213456021.gif
    Anything I need to work on? I decided to make a run test. I'm fairly bad at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cold_sausage
    tht is a 2 word post pls add more 2 yor comment or i will report you to the mods

i dun think this is real just fake

Fanatic Enthusiast Flaming Wolf's Avatar

Re: My Own Run Test

I know you made that with a default, but the back was uberly stiff. I know you're a bit rusty, and that can probably account for a bit of it. Just fix up that back and you got yourself a nice run.
    [center:3m01loo1]CHECK IT OUT, I'M BACK
    ^THREAD^[/center:3m01loo1]

MEn

I'll try it out with a backbone default then.
    tht is a 2 word post pls add more 2 yor comment or i will report you to the mods

it wasnt terribly bad, just the centered origin bugged me...

think of this, wen u run does your body's center stay in the exact same place? i know normal peoples dont

try having him move around abit more
    [center:23j4mmrs]Animations
    [/center:23j4mmrs]

MEn

I'll try to fix that up.

Veteran Enthusiast ULTRA1337piv0tz's Avatar

The arms werent moving correctly.
    Back was stiff, but it has only 1 joint, so nvm.

So try to make another with a better stick.
    Steam: xendlessnl

MEn

Quote Originally Posted by DarkIce
    The arms werent moving correctly.
    You can't just say that they weren't moving correctly. You have to explain how. How is it not moving correctly?

Haha, I was always terrible at walks and runs until recently. All of the stickmen in my animations are just jumping around randomly, never walking or running. You'd think running and walking would be a crucial thing to know in animation, but apparently that's not true for some of us. It's definitely a useful thing to know how to do well though.
    That's a nice run you have there, but there are a few things that would really improve it. It would look much better if you had made the stickman rise up and down as he was running. It's only natural that we move up and down when we run. After all, running is a series of controlled leaps, so you've got to animate that. It's not just legs and arms waving back and forth, right? I'm sure you get the point, so I'll stop bugging you about it now :P
    I wouldn't say that using a default's straight back is any excuse for stiffness, because it's very possible to get around that with no curvy-backness. You simply have to change the angle of the stick man's back instead of curving it. Normally, if you had a curved back and were, say, having a stickman pick something heavy up, you would change the back's curve accordingly to show weight, like so:

You can do the same with a default's back by doing something like this:

Use his neck and legs to make it look like his back is curved. It certainly doesn't look as nice as a genuine curved back, but you might as well do the best you can with what you have.

However, you aren't animating a default picking up a heavy object. You're making one run. You should still follow the same rules though, just maybe not as extreme as the examples I gave you. Here's what I would do: http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h215/Gifgiff/Run.gif
    All I really did in that animation that's different from yours is move the guy up and down as he runs. Another thing I made sure to do was have his feet stay flat against the ground from the moment they make contact to the moment they leave the ground. Your stick man's feet go in a sort of curved fashion, which doesn't really give the impression that he's walking on a flat surface. Since he doesn't move up and down at all, I can't tell that there's even gravity in his world. Maybe in his universe there doesn't exist gravity or ground, in which case it's a very good animation.

That was a long comment, and all about a simple run loop. Now I'm kind of confused about people that claim there isn't enough animation in some animations to critique. I hope I helped a bit!

Dedicated Member

Well... not much more to say besides it was smooth,
    try to add a bit more easing, and make him go faster. It looked like a jog loop, not a run loop.

Edit: Listen to giffgif man. He was right.
    [center:2s1p98zp]|Thread|Hosting Guide|Collab Tips|
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1250795438.png[/img][/center:2s1p98zp]

Fanatic Enthusiast

gifgiff wins one thousand internets, verry good comment man.