Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Kellawgs
  • 4 Post By wraybies

Thread: subject

subject

If anybody could give me some legitimate feedback on how to animate this better, that'd be great. I wish to be a better animator, and this animation was honestly me trying my hardest to get that to look right, but it doesn't, poses are fucked as shit, and I'd like some help from the community here.

Here's the pivot file if anybody has any desire:
    http://puu.sh/3Jm0n.piv
    Marvilicious likes this.

Tychus Findlay

That's really not that bad honestly. The biggest thing that bothers me though, is that his origin is static. You should move it from side to side a little, or even in a circular motion. It doesn't have to be much, 1-2 pixels a frame, but it won't look as stiff. Also, there's not really any kick in the push off the ground. The lower part of his leg shows the power, but the upper part hardly moves. Try making the upper part of his leg a little shorter as his foot reaches the maximum height in his stride. That would help display that his leg is going behind him a little more. Other than that I think it looks good. I like how it has your slow paced style to it.

Flume

A few things need adjusting. The origin needs to be unstuck to show power in each stride, at the moment it looks like his legs are just going back and forward without making any real contact with the ground and pushing off it. It should be going up as he pushes off each stride and lowering and he plants each foot, obviously only by little increments but anything to show the feet are being planted and pushing against the ground to propel the body forward.
    The arms look more like they are going out to the side rather than the back, some shortening and slight thickness resizing might do the trick. The arms also come to far across the midline of the body in my opinion, no one brings their hands across their face as shown by the stickfigure's left hand when they run.

I'll edit this with more when I have the time.

His upper arms stretch out to far, killing all sense of perspective. Good job though, is this practice for what I think?
    スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::

スリップノット「I A M N O T H A P P I E R T H A N Y O U」::

Puddin
    I don't like how he's moving his back it just looks really stiff.
    I really like the angle and 3D though (y)
    Last edited by Echo; 23 Jul 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Something I like doing if I'm animating 3D and it's something simple like a run is I animate it 2D on the side first. Then I look at that pose and simply redraw it from a different angle on the screen somewhere. If I adjust all these poses to the same pose but in another angle, the 3D will look right. This has worked quite well for me in the past, not sure if everyone will find this useful though.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.

You've always been an awesome animator in my eyes, with some practice you'll get it right, I know man, I think you should move the origin center man, and you should shorten the arms and legs when going backward and forward, it looks really nice in my opinion, but I know you can do it better bro (Y) Keep it up

Enthusiast

alright kellawgs, time for me to drop some real knowledge on you here so sorry in advance.

what you do have is a very nice run loop, and very smooth. the arms are really well done so i have no critique there. the first issue is the legs and the upper legs not moving how they should in a run. It makes him look like he's running in place and not pushing along the ground. this is a problem in both perspective and anatomy. I've made an example to explain the problems I see in the animation.

to start, look at the 2 key poses in a 3d run animation

Stride A, and Stride B (since a 3d run loops needs 2 strides)

because a camera sees from one point, one leg will always be much more flush with the camera, whereas the other will be at a lesser angle. A and B are the same pose for each different step, but A shows the leg kicking more at the camera, to create perspective. B is the other step, and it's angle compared with the other angle sort of makes us recognize the field of view for the camera. This is all because when we run, our legs are not perfectly straight, we sort of move side to side, which is why swinging our arms against the motion helps us move faster and in a straight line.

the next issue is the easing in your feet sliding along the ground, which creates the illusion that the character is running down hill and is a common mistake.

notice how here, there is no easing on the feet as they hit the front of the stride. the second they hit the ground, they are moving back. on your anim, when the feet hit the ground at the front of the stride, they ease for a few frames as if he's absorbing the impact of a step down.

Anyways, those are some things to look for to help you create a more lively and dynamic stick run that looks more human and less 2-d. you kinda have to create the illusion of him having hips and shoulders and it's not easy, but you've done a really good job already, and with some work you'll be making 3d better than anyone on the forum.

P.S. raymond is right. moving the hips helps trememdously, but for this demonstration I did my hips like you did. sorry for the shitty headspacing and shakiness. I animated this rather quickly.

here is the full size final run loop. I hope it helps you.

and here's a piv

I really appreciate that post Wraybies, that's some quality animation you have right there, puts mine to shame to be honest lol. Thanks alot for the pivot file too.

I also appreciate everybody else's comments too, thanks alot everyone, you guys give me hope !