Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Did Wii break your t.v?

quoted from yahoo, hope you like it...

Picture this. You're lining up the perfect shot in Wii Bowling, remote in hand. You set up the shot, swing the remote with all the strength you can muster, and... follow through a little more than you intended.

Somehow the remote leaves your sweaty-palmed grip and bang, smash, there goes your TV, window, photo of your granny, anything that happens to be in the path of the newly liberated remote.

Hold on, though. If you're wearing the (supplied) wrist strap, no harm done, right? So you'd think. As you can see, some Wii owners are finding the strap decidedly lacking. (Check out nascent site wiihaveaproblem.com for more strap malfunctions.) The problem isn't with the amply broad strap itself, but the considerably narrower section that connects the strap with the remote, which is prone to fray in some circumstances. The result is smashed remotes, smashed televisions, smashed windows, and unhappy (or, at least, somewhat red-faced) customers.

Teething hardware troubles are hardly new to the world of console launches, especially in the last year or so. The Xbox 360's original overheating issues are well documented, with the first production run of consoles suffering what is generally regarded to be an unusually high failure rate. We're even hearing the start of mutterings about overheating issues with some brand new PS3s. But it's probably the first time a console's design has lead --albeit indirectly -- to quite such a catalogue of destruction. To its credit, Nintendo appears to be happy to replace the wrist strap in some circumstances, but if there really is an underlying design weakness, then it needs to be addressed before an unfortunate (or worse, sue-happy) bystander gets beaned by a stray remote.

Sure, it's easy to laugh at the misfortune of these hapless Wii'ers, especially if you're still combing stores for miles around looking for yours. One broken strap could be regarded as misfortune, but as the volume of fractured straps grows, it starts to look more like carelessness -- or, at least, evidence of a lack of real-world testing.

In the meantime, wise Wii owners will want to consider hunting round the house for something a little stronger -- or waiting for one of the more opportunistic peripheral manufacturers to cash in on the opportunity to flog reinforced replacements at an inflated price. That's business.

Jon
    Fanatic Enthusiast

These wii stories are classic. It really brings out the stupidity in everyone.

go wii
    In memory of Shane and Sarah

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon
    These wii stories are classic. It really brings out the stupidity in everyone.

go wii
    That about sums it up and i don't think anyone else will even need to post in this thread.

Enthusiast
    When I get my Wii come Christmas i'll put a sheet of plexiglass over the screen.

Ultimate Flash Tutorial
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Quote Originally Posted by ddd9824
    It wont end like that! read the bible
    And it wont end like that either. Read a brief history of time.

Quote Originally Posted by hamandcheese
    When I get my Wii come Christmas i'll put a sheet of plexiglass over the screen.
    Lol, I've also read quite a few funny storys about the wii.

aha this is so funny, I guess i'll put some grip on my wiimot when I'll get it.

Enthusiast

Yeah, my Wii shoots out if played with enough, what's the big deal?

Want a sig like the one above? I am taking requests in my thread here...

Enthusiast

it's just plain gay.

If you swing the wiimote hard liek a baseball bat no shit, that'll happen. It works fine if you sit down and swing the remote normally or slowly.

[add me @ jjknox@gmail.com]

you'd think that people cant play those gun arcade things like house of the dead

Tsu
    Fanatic Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvereye
    Yeah, my Wii shoots out if played with enough, what's the big deal?
    lol nice one. kinda gross though. i dont think everyone gets it (-cool_)
    anyway just swing the wii normally dont act like its a freaking tennis raket

Quote Originally Posted by Xmpt
    What are they're T.V.'s made of? Unless they're flatscreen, I really don't see that happening. I've almost had some close calls though, but I never go without the rope going around my hand.
    it happens i saw the pics for that one, and i dont think it was a flatscreen. and its possible. If your swinging it fast enough for it to leave your hand, it can break something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wil
    aha this is so funny, I guess i'll put some grip on my wiimot when I'll get it.
    You can get wii gloves and theyre like rubbery glove like things for your wiimote and looks like it provides good grip. which is ropably why they made it in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SM
    My god, some people can be so careless, and/or stupid with their 45 dollar wii-motes. If your gonna play, either hold it with 2 hads, or swing it normally. Jeez.
    I agree, carelessness is stupidity :]) .

Im getting a wii this christmas, cause its FUN and fuzzy...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast