Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SA
    Enthusiast

SA's PSP Game Reviews

Well, I have alot of PSP Games, despite having my PSP since Christmas morning : ) My methods of doing this are confidential.
    Therefore - For those having to buy their games at stores - I will try to review a lot of games - To help you if you are going to buy any.

Note: Some of the very latest games I will not be able to review.
    I will also not be able to review every game. I am only human : )
    I will also not be able to play every game all the way through. I do have a life, believe it or not.

I have added a "Maximum Price" to the bottom of every review. This is the largest amount I would pay for the game having played it.

LocoRoco

Gameplay

Now LocoRoco seems to be shunned by older gamers - Particularly teenagers - But I can't think of a good reaon why. I think the no blood and gore is what turns people away. But it's their loss. Loco Roco is a fun, crazily innovative, out of the box, great game. It is very unconventional when it comes to the handling. You use the L and R buttons to tilt the world, which causes your "blob" to roll along the surface, and L and R together to jump. And speaking of these surfaces, there are alot of different ones you will encounter in the game. From perfectly solid ones to squidgy walls and floors that have you sinking in them, jumping furiously out of.
    As you move throughout the game, you collect "flower buds" that cause your "blob" to grow. Quite fun to watch. But then you reach a narrow hole. Oh noes. Not a problem - Just tap the O button and your big "blob" now turns into an amount of smaller "blobs" that allow you to sqeeze through small gaps to advance. The amount is decided by the number of "flower buds" you have collected.
    And then there is the large amount of fruit that you collect on your travels. Usually they are along the contours of the level, making them easy to collect, but aquiring all 200-300 can be difficult.
    Then you can collect little blue men. Strange, I know. These are hidden and you will have to find up to 5 of them on a level, which can be tricky the first time round. These give you a piece of "furniture" to put in your Loco Roco house.
    Loco Roco House? What the hell, I hear you cry. Well, it's a nice little addition that can keep you amused in short bursts. It has you placing pieces - that you will encounter and collect in the levels - in a little house like structure - Where little LocoRoco "blobs" go about their way. You do not control them in this mode, just watch them tackle the obstacles or path you've layed out for them.
    Then there are minigames. 3 in total. You need to unlock these minigames in the Main World by collected all of either:
    The "flower buds" - Meaning you finish with 20/20 little "blobs"
    The fruit - Meaning you finish with anywhere between 200/200 to 350/350 of them
    I'd like to say which one out of these does get you the minigames - but I'm not entirely sure. Which is more the fun you finding out : )
    And then there are the enemies. These all do the same basic thing. Steal your little "blobs" >: ( If you're big, then one is usually sucked right out, and you'll have to hurl at them to free him/her/it? The enemies provide a nice challenging element in some areas, but aren't too hard. A good mix, making it enjoyable to play.
    So there is a Main World - That has bountiful amounts of levels. Enemies that steal your little "blobs" Minigames, and Loco Roco House. Although these last two aren't nearly as fun or engaging as the Main World - But still deserve credit.
    Gameplay: 9

Graphics

I love the graphics of Loco Roco. Very vibrant, colourful, and appealing. The style of the characters may not be to everyone's tastes, but if you are like me, and like anything out of the ordinary or innovative, this game's look will suit you perfectly. And I have to say - The physics of this game are exceptional. Not once did I think "That didn't look right" - And I love how bouncing off different surfaces gives you different results.
    Graphics: 8

Lifespan

Now with Loco Roco - You will either love it or hate it. If you hate it, then this game will not last you more than a few minutes - As the whole game is essentially the same. However, within this general theme lies new platforms and surfaces that constantly kept me intrigued and engaged. And yet - This game will only last you a few hours first time round - Which I think isn't too bad. But for some, it isn't long enough. And completing the game fully - collecting every piece of fruit - Will take you about a day in my opinion. But then the game will be exhausted and the main story mode is then essentially dead. You will still have the mini games and Loco Roco house - but these won't last for long.
    Lifespan: 7

Orignality

I have never seen anything like this game - And it is a massive breath of fresh air. I love innovative games, and if you like me, Loco Roco is worth it just for the sheer originality it offers.
    Orignality: 10

Overview: 8.5 (Recommended)
    It's fun, new, fresh, invigorating and intriguing. But for some, this may not be enough. If you are a strong fan of hardcore games that have you constantly involved. Or you have a strong favourite genre like FPS or beat 'em Ups - i advise you not to get this game. But, if you are getting tired of all the generic PSP Titles - I recommend Loco Roco strongly.
    Maximum Price: £25 ($50)

Burnout Legends

Gameplay

Burnout was a revolutionary game for the driving genre when it arrived with "Takedown" stuck to its name. This now allowed you to deliberately or accidentally take out opponents. And there was also the Aftertouch feature - Allowing you to shrinken the humiliation from crashing by moving into opponent's path - Causing them to crash too. How nice.
    And you'll be glad to hear - Burnout Legends on the PSP has both of these features intertwined in the insanely fast gameplay. And I mean fast. You'll be racing along at 100 mph+ and then you'll get some nice boost from either a takedown or a stylish drift, or even from driving into oncomming traffic. This is essentially NOS on drugs. Holding the R button activates your boost and has you hurtling down the course - Everything whizzing past scarily.
    So the aforementioned crazy speeds are in the races in Tour mode. In Tour mode you choose what race you want to do when you want. No "You must do this then this then this". Completing one race may unlock another - But you'll still have 2 or more also unfinished. A nice aspect I think.
    But it's not just the same race over and over. There are varying types - Even though they focus on a main factor. Beat your opponents. This may be in a race with 3 other opponents of 3 laps - Or a pursuit in a rather nifty police car, chasing another car and depleting their health in a time limit - Or taking out as many cars as you can in a time limit.
    But - The most satisfying thing about BL is not winning the races - it's taking your opponents out in any way imaginable - And smiling as the camera shifts back to show you your opponent's car crumpled, flying through the air. And there are so many ways to do this. Slam them in to the wall - Fun. Hit them into an oncomming car/van - Fun fun. Hit them into a pillar or other stationary block - Fun and Flat. Hit them ont an oncomming truck - Super fun. And to keep the spice going a little longer - There are signature takedowns to perform. One, for example, is slamming them into a pillar.
    And ontop of this - There is an entirely different type of game to play. Crash Mode. This mode appeals to everyone's destructive side, and has you hurtling into traffic jams and junctions, trying to cause the most damage possible. Endlessly fun.
    Gameplay: 9

Graphics
    I expected the PSP would largely struggle with the Collision engine Burnout uses. But I was greatly surprised. I played and noticed no lag. I crashed. No lag. i took down two opponents at the same time. No distinct lag. However, some of the explosions have been dummed down from the PS2 version and some other details are gone. But these are not significant at all. You still see the sparks fly when you rub paint. And the half-truck fly overhead when you make the best takedown ever : )
    Graphics: 9

Value

Burnout is a great game to pick up and play - And will keep you entertained for hours at a time. Completing the whole game - With everything - Will be quite a lengthy process. The levels you do, have a bronze, silver and gold reward - Depending on how well you do with the given objectives. I found getting Gold first time was not that hard. But - Getting all of the trophies for signature takedowns or for "A 3-way takedown" will keep you playing for awhile.
    Sadly, the races do get a bit repetitive. But luckily, the takedowns don't. Which hands Burnout a handy lifeline.
    Value: 9

Originality
    Burnout Takedown gave a new perspective to driving games, and although there are now games trying to copy its fundamentals - Burnout still deserves it crown of being the first well known. And so they should get credit for bringing their original idea to the PSP.
    Originality: 9

Overall: 9 (Must Have)
    Burnout Legends is extremely fun to play. And there is nothing sweeter than drifting around a large corner onto oncomming traffic. Narrowly dodging a truck then swerving into an opponent, causing them to hit the wall, bounce off, and hit a car. Absolutely nothing more appealing for a game in my opinion. The endless takedown possibilities will keep you hooked - And the levels alternate between Crash and Tour to keep the game fun - Though still a bit repetitive.
    Regardless - this is a must have game for PSP owners. If you don't already have it - Slap yourself : )

However: If you are wanting Burnout Legends because you want new races and new features from the PS2 titles - Do not buy it. But if you are wanting more of the same working formula that is Burnout, in a handheld system - By all means make a purchase.
    Maximum Price: £35 ($70)

Tokobot

Gameplay

When I first got this game, I was sceptical about it. I don't know why but I didn't think it would keep me interested for long. But I was wrong. The sheer uniqueness and ingeniousness behind it is compelling. It isn't like ordinary Platformers at all.
    You are a character called Bolt. But you also control these Tokobot followers. You start with 6 of them - And the game introduces you to all the abilities you can do with your Tokobots at the start - With a good learning curve.
    Now, there are 3 formations you can use with your Tokobots. The V-formation, the U-Formation and the Circle Formation. Whilst in these formations, holding the R button initiates an action, and you beome Jointed - Ie; you all hold hands. Aw how nice. For example -
    In the V-Formation with R held, you spin around with your tokobots, making a handy attack.
    In the U-Formation with R held, you swing your tokobots overhead like a ladder, making a handy attack.
    In the Circle Formation, without R held, you jump and press square to use a stomp attack.
    But - This isn't the only thing you can do in your transformations, oh no. As you progress you will collect Super Chips which give you new abilities. One of which is being able to glide through the air, using the Spin Move. I won't reveal anymore as it's part of the fun discovering these new abilities on your own.
    And then there are Karakuri Combinations. JUst to give the game evem more creativity. Throughout the game you will unlock these Combinations also. And they involve transforming your tokobots into different robots. One of which is transforming into a half bodied samurai that weilds a katana, giving you the ability to perform a 3 slash combo with timed presses of the square button. Again - Part of the fun is discovering these on your own. But they are not all attacks - Some allow you to cross terrain or move objects. However, these Karakuri Combinations require Prehistoric Parts - Which you collect from smashing crates and defeating enemies. And just to keep it fresh, there are 3 types of collectable parts - Green, Red, and Blue - And different Combinations require different amounts of different parts. So stock up well!
    Now this all seems good - but what does every platformer need? Enemies of course! And how are they in Tokobot? Well the enemies you come across at the beginning are simplistic and it is easy to figure out what attack will work on them - Mainly due to the sod-off spikes on their body. But it is in the boss battles that Tokobot gets so much of its Gameplay boost. These bosses require different combination of joint actions - And figuring these out is entertaining, if frustrating. But it will keep you coming back until you work it out, and when you do, you will give a little "Aha!" , I assure you : )
    And ontop of all that ^ - The story intertwined in the game isn't bad at all. I personally like how you don't know where you're going next until the very end of the level.
    Gameplay: 8

Graphics

Each level doesn't differ a whole lot - But the graphics do work well in the game. Lighting does vary indoor and outdoor which is nice - And you can distinguish a fair amount of detail. Although some enemies are very simple. Yet why make them complicated? All in all, the graphics fit in well with the lively, upbeat, happy theme of Tokobot.
    graphics: 7

Value

Tokobot is a great little game. But maybe too little. It's not very short and should keep you entertained and trying certain bosses or puzzles over again and again. But the whole game feels too restricted. You're really only given one path to go down - Not able to veer off and find hidden items - Which would have been nice. But all the same, the unique ways it presents for a platformer will keep you intrigued.
    Value: 8

Orginality

Now Platformers have been round since most of were born. And over the years the Platformer genre has gone downhill imo, sadly. But Tokobot gives a whole new outlook on this type of game, and it's a welcome one too. I've never seen anything like this before and it manages to find a narrow tunnel in the Platformer genre that has not been seen before. Sure they could have added guns, but then it'd be stepping onto Ratchet and Clank's territory. However, there are hints of platformer elements you may have witnessed before - But in the grand scheme of things - This is unique game.
    Originality: 9

Overall: 8 (Recommended for Platformer Gamers)
    Tokobot is a great, intriguing, innovative and creative Platformer that does what I wish every Platformer would do - Be new, exciting, but also challenging. I have no doubt that if you buy it you will be repeating parts frequently to get it just right, but not for hours, which is a great factor for a game in my opinion. I think the Karakuri combinations are fun, as are the Joint Actions. The story keeps you inrigued as you disover more actions and combinations along the way. I for one, couldn't put it down.
    If you liked games such as Ratchet and Clank and Daxter - You should suit Tokobot fine.
    Maximum Price: £25 ($50)

Games Reviewed Soon:

Killzone
    Family Guy

If you have any requests - Please post here.
    If you have any comments on my reviews - Please post here.
    If you want to assist me - PM me.

SA
    Enthusiast

Reserved for Future Reviews

SA
    Enthusiast

Reserved - If I do write this many reviews : O

Stop post whoring. If you want to have it all on the first page, put it all in the first post. I would expect better from an admin ^:_)

Anyways, I found the review was closed minded and very racist, which is how i like it. Good job on the detail of the gameplay, btw.
    I'm gay.

SA
    Enthusiast

You can't write an infinite amount of words in one post. Therefore - I might need anotherpost to keep reviewing Games in. And it's a pain if it's on th 3rd page or something. This eliminates fuss and makes it easier for everyone. So stfu k? : )

Thanks for the comment.

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

I remember downloading the demo of LocoRoco the day it came out, and beating it about 100 times. When I finally bought the game, it was that fun x 10. I totally agree with your review. I loved it, so I was able to play it for a long time.

Good review.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

SA
    Enthusiast

Thanks Matt. I'm glad atleast one person likes the review

So does anyone want me to review a game prior to others? Anyone want to offer assitance? I'm open to ideas people. I just want this to benefit people : )

Review the elderscrolls oblivion travels for the psp when it comes out.
    I'm gay.

SA
    Enthusiast

The Elder Scrolls® Travels: Oblivion™ will be released on the PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) system in the Spring 2007

I never said no future releases, so ok. I'll try and review it asap to its release. But I may not be able to. It depends on various things...

I got my psp also christmas morning, go on msn when you get up or something, we can talk about it yay! Anyways I recommend getting pursuit force, it's so addicting and fun!
    [center:spejwvlf][/center:spejwvlf]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast