Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Switch question...

Can i connect to the internet using a network switch? I plan on hosting a lot of LAN parties soon, but the internet is sh!t on the wireless ruter / hub so i'm gonna upgrade to a switch.
    Only problem is, can I connect to the internet using a switch? Or is it purely networking-pc's-only? ( e.g school networks and stuff)

Indeed if you have a seperate modem, just hook it to one of the open ethernet ports, or if it has one the WAN port.

Simple.

I have my broadband router. But what i meant is, is it possible for me to get rid of the router ENTIRELY and configure the broadband onto the switch?

Its possible but it depends on what type of internet connection your running. In most cases your still going to need a modem, which in turn can be directly hooked to the switch.

If you have a combo modem / router now, you could just add the switch to it, by linking it via a free ethernet port?

So I could plug the switch into the router, then plug the PC's into the switch?
    My router has also a four port switch built in, but we now have 7 computers in my house so we need MORE.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshmallows
    So I could plug the switch into the route, then plug the PC's into the switch?
    Correct, basically it just allows you to hook up more computers.

You just need one free ethernet line to go from the router to the switch and your all set.

So in theory, if I get a faster switch then my router, the switch'll convert the internet stuff and make it faster than if I had it in the router?

Need a lag free life for these lan parties y'know.

^^ Well not really, it wont act as a booster of any kind the speed is liable to be same as the router will limit it depending on its speed.

Shouldent be too much bother most run at 10/100MBit base.