Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

How to Skin Your Desktop

Well it all started a while ago when werez mentioned something about another windows licensed skin called "royal noir". I tried it out and i liked it, but i was also wondering how they managed to do that without "windows blinds"...

So there i went searching about until i found something on the neowin forums, called "uxtheme.dll" . Every single xp computer has it, but what it does is make sure the themes work correctly for one and also make sure that only "windows licensed" skins can be applied. Which is what mainly put windows blinds and all of the other cheap crap in buisness. YET there are some unlocked ones which lets all .msstyles skins be added.

So how do you do it? Well follow me *dum dee dum*
    --------------------------------------------
    1. Be sure you are using Windows XP, service pack 1, service pack 2 or Windows Server 2003, service pack 1.
    2. Download and run UXTheme Multi-Patcher (Neowin Edition) 4.0.
    3. You will get a message that warns you that you will get a “Windows File Protection” message and to not insert your Windows XP setup CD. Click on “OK”.
    4. On the “Windows File Protection” message, click on “Cancel” and do NOT insert your Windows XP setup CD.
    5. “Windows File Protection” will then ask, “Are you sure you want to keep these unrecognized files versions?” Click on “Yes”.
    6. The installation process will begin or will ask to begin. It will say your computer needs to be restarted. Click on “OK”. Your computer will be restarted.
    When you go back to the desktop nothing has really changed, so go and grab some skins!!!!
    http://www.skinbase.org/section.php?sections=msstyles
    The skins must be extracted (in their own folder) to
    C:\WINDOWS\resources\themes\foldername
    Now when you right-click the desktop > properties > appearance you will see the skin name and it will be previewed . Simply apply and it will go on!

But however if you decide you want to restore the uxtheme.dll back:
    1. Simply re-run the program: UXTheme Multi-Patcher (Neowin Edition) 4.0.
    2. Click patch again, and it will ask you if you want to restore, click yes.
    3. It will also ask: “Do you want to enable or disable themes service?” Simply enable it, so you can still use the default versions.
    4. Let it do its stuff then it will ask to restart, go ahead and do so.
    But anyway since you probably want to see it in action, here you go, i'm using it right now!
    http://www.filecram.com/files/resized_orange.PNG
    http://www.filecram.com/files/resized_black.PNG
    "background made by self".

So go ahead and play around with it!
    Sticky? i don't really know so i'll add a poll .

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

Haha, I never knew someone else used this. I used this technique to apply a windows theme that I made from scratch. Much easier than designing it to work with WindowsBlinds. Nice guide.

I don't really know if it should be stickied though. I won't vote on the poll, because I don't really have an opinion. It could be stickied, or it couldn't, I wouldn't care <_<
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn&#39;t need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

Also see the official FAQ/Troubleshooting guide if you run into some problems:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=339820

And matt what prog did you use that? resource hacker? resedit?

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

I never actually finished it. It was a while ago when I did it, but if I remember correctly, yeah, I used ResHacker.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn&#39;t need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

that's awesome. I'm definately going to spend some time one day designing and structuring one of these. Thanks for the cool shit dude, I seriously appreciate it.
    I'm gay.

Fanatic Enthusiast

oh gawd, If I knew how to makes these I'd sell them on ebay. >.>

But anyway, great walk-through. If I get bored of what I have now I'm definetly going back here and getting a custom one.

Dedicated Member
    yeah, thanks but now my task bar + some windows have reverted to the windows classic style, know how to fix this?

This is good man!
    I want to do it but i dont want to mess with my comp.
    Anyways nice thing and yes someone have to stick this.
    "That's how I party, that's how I party.."

Nice tutorial. I'm glad people figured out how to do this, because I hate windowblinds, and that's pretty much the only other way to change the skin.

There's also a way to do this for vista, but there's only like 1 skin that works, and it's barely any different from aero :/

Quote Originally Posted by Stickster
    yeah, thanks but now my task bar + some windows have reverted to the windows classic style, know how to fix this?
    You probably didn't restart the computer yet. Also the better way to add it on, is to double click on the .msstyle file itself.