Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Tsu
    Fanatic Enthusiast

Tsuchinokos game reviews NO:1 - Orange Box (all platforms)

The Orange Box

Hey guys welcome to my first of many to come reviews.
    Since this IS my first, itll be special in the way that i will review the strong/weak points of not only the pc version of orange box, but the ps3/360 versions as well.

Yes thats right, i DO own ALL 3.

Half Life 2
    From half life 2's GOTY awards, and the fact that its obviously going to get a 10, il skip that and jump into ep1.

HL2 EP1
    EP1 takes place right after hl2, and it gives off this different, shall we say, atmosphere.
    The game feels different apart from half life 2. Some of it is the way the characters are integrated, more of it is simply the layout of the levels, but it no longer feels the same as you did when you were speeding your boat through the slimy, rundown, headcrab infested world. This isnt bad though, it really mixes things up and makes if even more playable.

A lot of the game has you fighting a new enemy, the combine zombie, or the zombine. They make the game pretty intense seeing as in a closed in area, theyll pull out a live grenade and go all kamikaze on you.

From the very beggining you'll love this game. You find yourself being pulled out of rubble by dog, then being thrown over somewhat of a canyon in a bus. The whole game was done very well and and they threw in enough new stuff to keep you from feeling like your just playing hl2 in a new place.

Hl2 ep 1 gets a 9.0 from me, and thats for all platforms.

Half Life 2 EP 2

HL2 ep2 is like omg in a can. Its like pwn in a bottle. Its like ceiling cat in a newly refurbished ceiling.
    this is the peak of hl2 at the moment, only to be bested by ep3 at release.

The story, and the way its portrayed is amazing.
    Every area of the game had tons of work put into it.
    I dont want to spoil anything, and theres a lot of cool stuff thats nice to go through on your own, so im going to veer away from the funny, intense, then very disturbing story that you'll be put through.
    theres actually a new "weapon" in the game, which is just a ball you pick up with the grav gun and shoot at striders. The ball sticks to them, the you pull out a pistol and shoot the ball to instantly kill a strider. This adds something new to the way you fight a well known enemy.
    Another new thing is blood. Theres more, it animates differently, and its more satisfyint to blow the legs off an antlion with a shotty with all the gooey green goodness flying all over the place.
    OK that was enough for ep2, lets go to portal.

Ep 2 gets a 10 out of 10.

Portal

Portal has gained a massive amount of popularity for things like cake, a computers voice, and a cube with a heart on it.

Portal pwns.

Basically you have a gun that fires two different colored portals. Go in one, come out the other.
    (puzzle game)

Accompanying you is glados, is funny/creepy/awesome/wtf voice that you will hear throughout the game.

The ONLY real problem with the game is indeed length.
    The game is usually beat in under 4 hours the first time through.
    Even with this, the game is very unique in the way that the story is portrayed.

You wake up in somewhat of a prison, and throughout the game subtle hints are being passed on to you about the past o the company behind it all, aperture science.

This game takes place in the world of hl2, black mesa is mentioned in portal, and aperture science is mentioned in hl2.

As for control, pc has it.
    Its not a problem during the story mode, but if you want to beat some of the challenges, IE beating a stage in a very small amount of time, the game almost REQUIRES a mouse to get gold. Seriously, a joystick can make some of the challenges seem impossible. Apart from that, pc has had custom content being created for it, and consoles are incapable of running them, seeing as ut3 is the only game out on the new gen systems to have such support.

The ratings are as follows
    (not biased, dont flame)
    PC:
    Control: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    Fun Factor: 10
    Overall: 10
    360:
    Control: 9
    Overall: 9.8

PS3:
    Control: 9
    Overall: 9.8

Team Fortress 2
    Last, but not least, is one of the best online games ive ever played. Tf2.

If you dont know, tf2 is a class based shooter with 9 classes.
    Each have their own weapons, amazing models, and unique personality.
    The game is pretty deep, every single class hass been balanced out VERY well.

The pc version gets a straight 10.
    The console versions are more equal, but control and slight lag issues on BOTH platforms Drops it on both.

360 has constant server closings since no servers are dedicated.
    PS3 DOES have dedicated servers, but the controls a a good deal harder to get used to.

Hm, thats about it, these very minor differences arent much to think about,
    every version is worth buying.

PC: 10
    PS3: 9.8
    360: 9.5

Expect my future reviews to be far more in-depth. After all, this was 5 freaking games.

Enthusiast

Re: Tsuchinokos game reviews NO:1 - Orange Box (all platforms)

I remember reading about PS3 version having worse textures and a like, plus FPS dropping like crazy..
    Yes / No ?

Fanatic Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the only difference between the PS3 and the Xbox 360 versions is that the PS3 loads a few seconds slower.

Portal is too short to receive a note of 98%.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Wright
    True, but in that short time, i have few games that can match the enjoyment that i felt while playing portal.

Enthusiast

Yeah, i was thinking more like 97%....... .. .

Seriously, what in hell are those 2% that makes the game not perfect ? I have always wondered how people come up with these 7,3 etc. reviews ?
    What determines that 2% ?

Tsu
    Fanatic Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Snigge
    Yeah, i was thinking more like 97%....... .. .

Seriously, what in hell are those 2% that makes the game not perfect ? I have always wondered how people come up with these 7,3 etc. reviews ?
    What determines that 2% ?
    >.> <.< >.>
    Imperfections