Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Enthusiast

Modem question and a new question too.

The modem that we had would keep dropping internet every 20 secs- 5 mins. It got really annoying. We live on-site at this resort, and I told my Dad about how we would need a new modem. I asked if I swapped out one from the next door condo, then maybe it would work. I tried it, and now my Internet won't keep cutting out. But, If I go to Speedtest.net, My download and upload speed are WAY lower than before. Why would that be?

Edit: Oh yeah, This brings me too a new question. Most of the time when my internet does go out, It's when I'm on Steam or Msn. Most other times it's fine.
    Any help with this?
    [center:2nf8ts7e]Xbl: Killer Noodlez|Psn: Belowxero| Steam: Belowxero94[/center:2nf8ts7e]

Re: Internet modem question

Are you wireless or are you wired? It could be your bandwidth messed up. Call your ISP and see what happens because we can't exactly tell you the exact problem.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky
    Are you wireless or are you wired? It could be your bandwidth messed up. Call your ISP and see what happens because we can't exactly tell you the exact problem.
    Wired, My Wireless router has stopped working for whatever reason. I'll try the old modem again to see if there is a difference.
    [center:2nf8ts7e]Xbl: Killer Noodlez|Psn: Belowxero| Steam: Belowxero94[/center:2nf8ts7e]

It could be the card itself, if it's a desktop just open up the tower and look at the network bus. If it's a laptop you might want to have an IT guy look at it if you want your warranty still. It could also be the router itself. Usually modem's have nothing wrong with them.

Its most likely the router considering by what you have posted. This one you have swapped / lent may not be able to achieve your line speeds provided by your ISP.

It not too likely it could be the network card but it is possible. From what you posted it seems like a router issue / or a network via your ISP end.

Enthusiast

It's not my router, Because I've just been going right from the Modem into my computer. But, I swapped the modems again. And the first modem has a download speed of around 2000-3000 kbps. And the one I swapped out was only about 200.
    So I'll just keep the first one.
    Thanks for the help.

Edit: Oh yeah, This brings me too a new question. Most of the time when my internet does go out, It's when I'm on Steam or Msn. Most other times it's fine.
    Any help with this?

Re: Modem question and a new question too.

Sorry in my post I ment Modem not router.

Your ISP should be able to diagnose any line issues, by running line tests etc. If your getting problems with certain apps its either your ISP, or your router blocking applications however it should not cut off your internet, only the applications. An over defensive firewall has cut me off in the past too, can be a few reasons.

For most issues your ISP should be able to help you.

Re: Modem question and a new question too.

It's cable I'm guessing, right? Well if it is, you may see them use a signal tester for the room the modem is in, since there is one master setup, and that supplies all rooms. Now if your network room doesn't have enough frequency, it could be messed up also. They could run tests similar to line tests to figure if it is the frequency.