Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Fanatic Enthusiast

Laptop upgrading

Ok, so I have a Dell Inspiron 1521, and so far it hasn't had any trouble running quickly.

But pretty soon, I'll be running more and more demanding programs, so I'm wondering if it is worth upgrading the ram in it.

At the moment it has 1GB RAM, is it worth it, and how much will it cost me, how to go about it?

all that kinda stuff.

thanks.

SIB
    Dedicated Member

Re: Laptop upgrading

2-4 GB is really for 3D gaming and high quality video editing.

For gaming you really need 4GB and a separate graphics card.

Gaming:

Money Value= 4GB DDR2 Memory, a Nvidia 8800 GTS (the best value and cheapest card that supports DirectX 10), and a 2.5 gigahertz processor should be great.

BEST= 4-8(yes, there are systems out there)GB DDR3, a Nvidia 9800 GX2, And a 4 gigahertz processor(usually factory overclock).
    This will run you down at least $5000 coupled with a hard drive.

Video Editing:

2GB DDR2, with an 8800 GTS should suffice. Along with a 2.8 gigahertz processor(or something close)
    Courtesey

Awesome Sig by zelsor

Fanatic Enthusiast

Not really upgrading my laptop there is it?

Nice facts, but it doesn't really help me.

SIB you should really learn to read posts fully before you post.

When you say "demanding programs" its really depends on what you mean i.e games or high powered software. Allot of things are more dependant on graphics too.

Adding more RAM will always help, but it depends on what you'll be doing. It shouldnt cost a bomb, you can probably find the right type of RAM on places like ebuyer or maybe overclockers.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Well, when I go to uni, I'll be doing an animation degree.
    And obviously any profession animation program is gonna take up some space.

And I'm just looking ahead, seeing as I'll be using this laptop, I really want to keep it upto date in spec terms, so I was just asking really.

Well graphics is an important factor too sadly upgrading a laptops graphics card is either impossible or hard, unless you get dell to do it. Upgrading RAM is quite easy normally just a slot on the back you can remove and add more in or remove a card you already have in with a greater amount, you'd have to open it and see.

But adding RAM which ever way you look at it will improve performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SIB
    2-4 GB is really for 3D gaming and high quality video editing.

For gaming you really need 4GB and a separate graphics card.

Gaming:

Money Value= 4GB DDR2 Memory, a Nvidia 8800 GTS (the best value and cheapest card that supports DirectX 10), and a 2.5 gigahertz processor should be great.

BEST= 4-8(yes, there are systems out there)GB DDR3, a Nvidia 9800 GX2, And a 4 gigahertz processor(usually factory overclock).
    This will run you down at least $5000 coupled with a hard drive.

Video Editing:

2GB DDR2, with an 8800 GTS should suffice. Along with a 2.8 gigahertz processor(or something close)

I love when people talk out their ass.
    A macbook PRO only has a 2.4... Laptopts aren't meant gor gaming anyway. Unless you want an XPS or voodoo envy.

Anyway, I would just bring it up to 3gigs and you should be fine with RAM. If you go into your BIOS you might be able to raise your dedicated vram a bit so that could help you some. Laptops are very limited when upgrading in the graphics area, so you can't do much.

Also, I don't think he wants to buy the cooling and stuff for the 9800GTX or a 4Ghz overclock... Factory gaming PC's, of course, are a money waster. Just build a nice gaming machine for like 800 bucks. Not spend 3grand on an XPS 420h2c.

Fanatic Enthusiast

I do believe darkdemon is the only one that listened to what I was saying, and thanks for that.

I'll leave it at that.