Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

What is with major PC companies these days?!

HOLY SHIT. I am kinda getting annoyed by this. What is it with comapnies like Dell and HP making these bad-ass computers that cost like 5grand and you can build the same thing for less than 2 grand. IT started with the HP blackbird, then the Dell 420H2C, and now Acer has one called the Predator [ http://www.acer.com/predator/ ]. I think they are just dumb, do you guys have any ideas why they are doing this? I mean it could be marketing reasons but can people be THIS stupid?! The only reasonable one would be the Gateway FX coming in at about 1080 USD at a bestbuy.

SRSLY U GUISE.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Re: What is with major PC companies these days?!

Out of everyone who has a computer, what percentage of them have the knowledge to put together their own?

Go buy all the parts you need, and find someone who will put it together for free.

I see what you mean, it's fucking ridiculous. I built my dad a computer like that and the whole thing ended up costing him about a grand, not 5.

Acer is starting to be the LG of all PC's, they are basically copying everything and are even daring into the laptop area to compete with XPS and Alienware. Seriously, it should be a law (in my opinion) to have the knowledge to put together basically COLOR CODED (I mean by it's ports, or just RTFM) components into a motherboard. You can build one in about an hour ffs. If your that desperate, just get a barebone and overclock it. Not that complicated (maybe messing with BIOS settings and overclocking maybe but building the thing is just to easy).

Like K.A said, not everyone knows how build a computer, not every part of its simple depending who's doing it or what you want.

The only thing I can say which warrents high price tag is the warrenty itself. It's one bonus which you dont get when building your own computer unless you find the faulty part and remove it and often that takes another machine to do so. It can be allot of hassle if it doesnt boot up first time and there isnt a obvious issue. I've built around 16 machines now, but in some cases buying a computer is wiser. I wouldnt be surprised by the price tag one bit, they are in it to make a profit.

Building is alot of fun to do and sometimes like perhaps in this case a cheaper way though there are always upsides / downsides.

Well, profit is obviously on their minds.

Although putting together your own isn't particularly difficult (You can use google, for Christ's sake) some people don't want to risk it, or they simply don't follow directions well.

So, most of the high price tags are for the people without the knowledge to build the computer themselves, or are unable to do so for other reasons.

We're all pretty much stating the same thing now.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

Yea. It's like buying a Mac, your paying for the hipster look and name. You look all sexy with that beast, not all this water cooling and overclocking stuff. you pay for the ease, and you get ripped off instead of taking a little while to read up on the stuff.