Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Xubuntu Help

Xubuntu Help

Okay, I just got Xubuntu (Ubuntu, just toned down a bit for crappy computers)...and I'm trying to get used to it and all....now here is my question of need (Yes I did Google this...found nothing of help seeing how the site was down for me)

Is there any other way to get WINE for Ubuntu...if so, would it run with Xubuntu Linux so I can run Pivot.

My next question...is there anyway to retrieve my files from my Windows OS?

Much appreciated .
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Re: Xubuntu Help

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

^ Did you check there? I dont use WINE so I cant help you.

If you've got linux duel booting on a seperate partition / harddrive you should be easily be able to view your Windows files via Linux. I'm doing pretty much the same thing with Vista using Fedora 9 Linux.

Though I'm not too familiar with Ubuntu distros.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDemon
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wine

^ Did you check there? I dont use WINE so I cant help you.

If you've got linux duel booting on a seperate partition / harddrive you should be easily be able to view your Windows files via Linux. I'm doing pretty much the same thing with Vista using Fedora 9 Linux.

Though I'm not too familiar with Ubuntu distros.
    Yeah, I tried there...the whole WINEHq site is down for me for some reason, and I just need the program itself so I can run some of my programs and what not.

As for the dual booting thing...I'm not, so I don't know if that effects me finding my files or not, because my main reason is so I can transfer my 1 Gig files of sticks/animations/etc.

Well if you have your files on a seperate medium, like a portable harddrive it wont be a problem.

Edit: "retrieve my files from my Windows OS"

If you've formatted over the top of your windows installation with linux, no you can't you've wiped it all. You should of partitioned so you could have duel booted, or backed up your windows files.

Well I mean, I still have my Windows OS, it's just, I have to select when I start up my laptop (That considered dual booting?), and I mean...I checked the Windows OS and everything is still there.

If you can select which OS to boot from yes it's duel booting as you have the choice of OS you wish to boot into.

I can't tell you how to do it, I know in allot of linux distros, fedora being one you can get access to your windows files through linux, it's labelled when navigating through drives / folders etc.

Okay, well the site works now...but it won't let me download it for some odd reason which is extremely odd because I was on Xubuntu last night and I went to download and it gave me an error page saying that there was no connection when I was on wired internet.

Go to your Remove/Change Programs at the bottom of the applications drop down menu.
    There should be a huge ass list, and wine may be a third party download.
    If now, install any packages you see, and see if Wine is then there.
    If not then, just google it, and install through terminal.

When I got it, I just downloaded it off the site.
    But, I am Dual Booting, and using Ubuntu.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

Would be a lot easier if you go to wine-hq.com, then put the apt-get line in terminal. Then set the pivot .exe to run in wine. Takes like 2 minutes. Also, I don't see how a computer can't just run the gnome environment. The XFCE one to me is a pack of balls, so if you get the chance, get something like Mint. It's ubuntu + a pack of sex. Allthough, I've used it only on one computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticky
    Would be a lot easier if you go to wine-hq.com, then put the apt-get line in terminal. Then set the pivot .exe to run in wine. Takes like 2 minutes. Also, I don't see how a computer can't just run the gnome environment. The XFCE one to me is a pack of balls, so if you get the chance, get something like Mint. It's ubuntu + a pack of sex. Allthough, I've used it only on one computer.
    It'd be easier than that if you were to read one of my posts above, saying I get the error page everything I try...

Quote Originally Posted by ChAoZ
    Okay, well the site works now...but it won't let me download it for some odd reason which is extremely odd because I was on Xubuntu last night and I went to download and it gave me an error page saying that there was no connection when I was on wired internet.