Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Computer Re spec.

Alright so It's my birthday today, and for a present off of my parents I'm going to be getting a whole new computer basicly.

My dad has been doing a lot of research and is getting a bit angry so I thought I could post here and see what he has chosen so far is good.

What I aim to be able to do Is to play decent games such as Left 4 dead and maybe crysis at some level, It depends on the graphics card for crysis but the motherboard I have in mind will be able to handle it. I'm not that good either so I'll stop talking and you can get thinking.

Current Specs
    Motherboard: MSI-6570 (any extra details you need such as chipset just post)
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ (1.84Ghz, this can overclock to I think what I used to have running at 2.2Ghz but not any more)
    GFX: ATI RADEON 9600 XT BRAVO (not much information on this)
    RAM: 768mb ( Not quite sure about this, I know you can get ram for M/B also)

Wanted Specs
    Motherboard: GA-EP43-DS3L (This supports Intel and runs Dual core and 2 Core duo aswell as Quad core)
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 Processor, 2.5 GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, LGA775
    GFX: Also contemplating this.
    RAM:Going for 4GB but with overclocking in mind, not sure what speed to get.

I know I haven't given alot of details but from the motherboard can you give comments on experiences with it and maybe good GFX and Ram.

E: I've put in the CPU :P.

Re: Computer Re spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Hectik
    Alright so It's my birthday today, and for a present off of my parents I'm going to be getting a whole new computer basicly.

My dad has been doing a lot of research and is getting a bit angry so I thought I could post here and see what he has chosen so far is good.

What I aim to be able to do Is to play decent games such as Left 4 dead and maybe crysis at some level, It depends on the graphics card for crysis but the motherboard I have in mind will be able to handle it. I'm not that good either so I'll stop talking and you can get thinking.

Current Specs
    Motherboard: MSI-6570 (any extra details you need such as chipset just post)
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+ (1.84Ghz, this can overclock to I think what I used to have running at 2.2Ghz but not any more)
    GFX: ATI RADEON 9600 XT BRAVO (not much information on this)
    RAM: 768mb ( Not quite sure about this, I know you can get ram for M/B also)

Wanted Specs
    Motherboard: GA-EP43-DS3L (This supports Intel and runs Dual core and 2 Core duo aswell as Quad core)
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 Processor, 2.5 GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, LGA775
    GFX: Also contemplating this.
    RAM:Going for 4GB but with overclocking in mind, not sure what speed to get.

I know I haven't given alot of details but from the motherboard can you give comments on experiences with it and maybe good GFX and Ram.

E: I've put in the CPU :P.

Well, without knowing the new GFX card, can't really help much, although what you have there is perfect, it will last you a while, and you wont need to overclock your RAM, there'd be no need. You'd also need to upgrade to x64 bit OS to get the full capability out of your new RAM. I have a little worse setup than you now, with an nVidia 8600 GT and I can run games like L4D fine, I can run Prototype full graphics (not exactly a graphics intense game). Although, make sure your Motherboard is LGA775 Socket.

Enthusiast

Oh hey there , I haven't been on DD to check any posts that have come through but thanks heh. Alright I came back home today and I see a big parcel and I was like... :00000.... It was a case, and then behind it I found these...

Specs
    M/B: The Gigabyte one
    CPU:None yet but I think it will be the one in first post
    GFX: nVidia GTX 260 with 896mb of it's own ram >:0
    RAM: 4gb hopefully.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-19115037
    Trust me, getting the best processor you can really pays off in overall speed. My computer's card can handle Crysis yet my processor is so shit I can't play Sims. You never want that speed holding you back, and overclocking is a shifty process. Overclocking may cut years off of your part's lifespan and is extremely unsafe in processors. My processor, AMD 3000+, when overclocked it's dye will break and will be rendered useless.

I suggest getting a processor good enough to handle everything you need before overclocking. Then, if you feel you need extra speed, it can handle it. The 8400 45nm can go up to 3.8GHz stable and safely, yet operates at 3GHz 24/7. The price also isn't too bad.

Nice mobo, supports a lot.
    [center:15cesajl]I'm gone, but I loved my time here. Thank you all for being such a great community![/center:15cesajl]

Get the EVGA GTX 275 instead, it's only a few dollars more.

Darky - he already has the card, mobo and ram.

I you have the money invest in two 9800GX2's and run quad-sli. With a computer near your wanted specs in puts Crysis at 57 average FPS with everything on max settings. If not, get one or two GTX285's from XFX or EVGA.

Enthusiast

Hey thanks for the comments. I had to settle with 2gb ram since my OS only goes up to 3gb and dual running (or something) the ram in the motherboard causes problems, so I went with Crucials 2gb ram, my dad says it's the fastest and stuff.. yeah.

The graphics arrived and so did the processor today, so they're in. With the GFX cards size we had to get a bigger case, an Antec 900. The graphics card is huge, so It's being supported a little by those little bits of plastic that keeps wires tidy, heh. I can give out the proper specs now.

Specs
    MB: GA-EP43-DS3L
    CPU: Intel Pentium Dual core E5200
    GFX: nVidia GTX 260
    Ram: 2gb from crucial <_< (It's the fastest one or something)

Yeah... so that's that :P. Also if I haven't mentioned it already, the case is an Antec 900 and the power supply is from Corsair. The case + power supply came to 130 when before we decided on the GFX looking at around 40 hah :P.

So, with these specs, could I play some good games? I've been looking at the things that I can play and the ram needed seems to be low, are they all low?

Get 4gb and get 64bit OS....

Corsair is the best memory you can get. You'll probably play CoD4 at high settings with a constant 35-40 FPS. Upgrade the GPU and you'll get a little more out of your processor. Like I said, can't go wrong with a GTX285 from XFX. Will cost you a few hundred more, but the time it will last you will save you in the long run. Also, what's your budget? We can't maximize specs without knowing it.

Enthusiast

I've already bought everything, just read my last posts.. Anyway, I'm not good with computers so whats a GPU? and also my budget I didn't know because It's a birthday present.. and what actually determines how fast I can play games? and the settings and stuff?

Also the gfx card has 896mb of It's own ram if that helps :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast