Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New PC

Devoted Veteran

New PC

I'm sick of getting recommended to play games like Fallout 3 on Low graphics, I may as well buy the game on the 360 ffs. Bottom line is that I need a new PC.

Now, ideally I'd like to be able to run Crysis on Very High settings, and that's just so that I know I can easily run other games on the highest graphical settings. I would also like to point out that I would really prefer not to build this myself, I'd rather buy it already made and then have it mailed straight to me.

Selling my Xbox and laptop gives me around £1000, and in a few months, I can easily have £2000, so I'll set my budget at around £2200, although hopefully I expect to pay nowhere near that much.

Suggestions? Baring in mind I don't know dick about what a good processor, or what a good video card is, so don't give me all your 'GET THE GX NVASIPFAS DRAQGON XXXXX CARD!!!11', because I have no idea what you're on about.

Re: New PC

HP for the win

Buy a separate processor if you want better performance.
    [center:2h0fxjzg][/center:2h0fxjzg]

Quote Originally Posted by Chance!
    HP for the win

Buy a separate processor if you want better performance.

What shitty advice

You're going to have to do some research, and just find what what's good and what's not. I'm saying this because I highly recommend you just build your own rig after buying the parts online. http://www.newegg.com is a great site for finding all sorts of parts, you can usually find costumer reviews on a part, too.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    «« forum rulesstaff teamforum search »»[/center:1o6efzo1]

I don't know shit about computers and such, but this may help in some way:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 556AATf65g

Fine you want good advice?

* RAM
    RAM is to computer what location is to real estate. RAM or Random Access Memory is perhaps the most important factor to consider when buying your laptop or any computer.

RAM will greatly determine the speed of your laptop or computer. How fast it will process your tasks and graphics. You must make sure you have enough for your needs. You can now find many laptops pre-loaded with 1 Gig of RAM and capable of upgrading to 4 Gigs or more.

Compared to yesterday’s computers that’s a lot of RAM. If you’re not into gaming, handling large video files/editing, all that RAM is not needed but it will make your laptop run faster. Also, remember if you’re into gaming, Video RAM will be important - you need a top of the line (read expensive) Graphics Card and it will increase the cost of your laptop.

Also it may be wise to buy a laptop with upgradable memory - since new applications, multi windowed browsers, streaming video... of the very near future may place high demand on your laptop’s RAM.

* Dual Core Processors
    CPU or Computer Processing Unit is the heart of your laptop and in this case you have Two Hearts - Intel Centrino Duo is the front runner in this area right now. However, AMD is giving Intel some stiff competition in the dual core battle with its Athlon™ 64 X2 dual core processor. Either one would be a wise choice.

* Hard Drive
    The amount of space or size of laptop hard drives are steadily increasing, a 100 Gig laptop is now common. If you don’t want a lot of storage, buying a smaller size hard drive will save you money.

Many laptop experts choose the SATA hard drive with a high 5400 or 7200 RPM.

* Weight or Size
    Perhaps the major reason you’re considering buying a laptop is its size or weight - otherwise you’re better of saving your money and buying a desktop computer instead. A laptop is portable, you can carry it anywhere... tuck it under your arm and cart it to class or your next business meeting. It is ideal for taking your information and work to wherever you want to go. This portability is the main selling feature of a laptop.

Obviously you must pick the best sized laptop to suit your needs. Laptops are divided into different categories, here’s a quick rundown:

Tablet PC (smallest) Size of a paper tablet or notepad, less than 3 pounds.

Ultra Portable (small) <11" x <10" Less than 1.3 inches thick, less than 4 pounds.
    Thin and Light (mid-size) 11-14" x <11" 1 to 1.4 inches thick, from 5 to 7 pounds.
    Desktop Replacements (largest) >13" x >11" More than 1.5 inches,
    more than 7 pounds and up

Pick the size that suits your purpose and use.

* Price
    Laptop prices are steadily falling, it is now possible to get a quality laptop for well under a $1000. Many are selling at the $500 - $600 range. High quality gaming laptops offered by such specialty laptop makers as Alienware, Rock, will still set you back 3 to 4 grand.

* Warranties
    Don’t overlook this factor, if you’re buying an expensive laptop, you might want to check out extended warranties. If you do a lot of traveling, you might need to purchase insurance against thief and loss.

Consider these elements before buying your new laptop

Crono: Great copy pasta there!
    [center:2h0fxjzg][/center:2h0fxjzg]

Ned

PC or other computers are even one tad bit good at playing games.
    Get a console, a man console.
    If you like futur tech, PS3
    Or just online gaming, xBox

Quote Originally Posted by sincerelyned

What!?

The PC is the best gaming system out there, and will be for a long time to come. There are multiple reasons that I shouldn't even have to mention as to why.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    «« forum rulesstaff teamforum search »»[/center:1o6efzo1]

Devoted Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by sincerelyned
    a face palm wouldn't even suffice here.
    [center:2mwkv12p][/center:2mwkv12p]

Devoted Veteran

@Crono, yeah, Skype already sent me to that site. I just quickly scanned through and found this (like I said, I don't fancy putting it together myself):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6883113103

How would that perform?

@Bolt, thanks.

@Chance, get the fuck out, you're not helping.

@Sincerelyned, the capabilities of a high-end PC are far superior to that of a console.

Van

amd 940 pin 7850x2 2.8ghz processer 94$, gigabyte mother board amd 940pin MA78GM-US2H 112$, two 1 gbyte sticks of 800mhz ram 19$$ each all up 264$ and will fly

These were the parts I was recommended for when I was thinking about upgrading... you might find this helpfull..
    keep in mind that this is in Australian currency

Hope it helps..

A good graphics card.. ATI HD 2400 PRO ( 512 Mb ) is only around 69.. depends where you shop tho.

You are probably better off getting your computer custom built, you don't have to put it together.. you can get it installed at the shop/etc.. and yeh..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast