Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Black and White

h4x0r

Black and White

Just reinstalled it on my PC, some game from 2001 where you control god, the Spore thread reminded me of it.

Info:
    The player takes on the role of a god ruling over an island populated by various tribes. The player's control over the island is manifested in the Hand, an animated on-screen hand which can move or throw people and objects, tap houses to wake their occupants, cast miracles, and do many other things. Use of the keyboard and buttons in the game is purposely low; to add to the sense of realism, the (usually) mouse-controlled hand can perform every function in the game. In later patches, the Hand can also be controlled by an Essential Reality P5 Glove, a consumer-level virtual reality glove that is no longer for sale.

Generally speaking, the goal of a level is to gain control over every village on the island. This is accomplished through the performance of impressive acts that will cause the villagers to believe in the player. Villagers can be swayed by everything from helping them with day-to-day tasks to terrorising them with fireballs and lightning storms. Another important element of the gameplay is the player's Creature — a pet of sorts that can be trained to do almost anything, thanks to the game's complex AI, developed by Richard Evans. This Creature is trained by being placed on a leash while the player demonstrates the action the Creature is to learn using the Hand. With time and repetition, it can perform complex functions that will allow it to serve as the player's avatar in the world.
    Anyone ever play it/remember it?

Re: Black and White

The idea of it was very good, however the execution was bad.

Fanatic Enthusiast

Always wanted to play it, but I just can't find it in any store or city, it just disappeared!
    [center:3i8o92ef]Old thread[/center:3i8o92ef]

I can't be fucked going through the tutorial again. God damn it needed an option to skip all that.

Amazing game though. Good fun. I'd play it if I knew I didn't have to go through that fucking tutorial lol.

I have the second one, amazing game, but it lacked creativity in missions, they were all the same: build from scratch, destroy the enemy base. Although I must admit, building cities was amazing, they felt alive.

I've been playing some Black & White 2 lately. While it fixes a lot of my gripes with Black & White 1, it introduces just as many new ones. I especially hate how the creature's importance is significantly downplayed. And the creature AI is shit. I taught my creature to eat only grain, and regardless of how full my storehouses get or how many fields of grain are directly around him, he will refuse to eat. Even when I hand him the food he just tosses it aside. And the army controls suck as well. The pathfinding is abysmal, my men just run around aimlessly, not doing what I order them to. And building an impressive-as-fuck city is only fun for so long. In the end the only option left to win is to just build a million houses until you win the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Damon
    I've been playing some Black & White 2 lately. While it fixes a lot of my gripes with Black & White 1, it introduces just as many new ones. I especially hate how the creature's importance is significantly downplayed. And the creature AI is shit. I taught my creature to eat only grain, and regardless of how full my storehouses get or how many fields of grain are directly around him, he will refuse to eat. Even when I hand him the food he just tosses it aside. And the army controls suck as well. The pathfinding is abysmal, my men just run around aimlessly, not doing what I order them to. And building an impressive-as-fuck city is only fun for so long. In the end the only option left to win is to just build a million houses until you win the land.

IMO the creature is overpowered, you just have to send it constantly against the enemy base. And since it keeps reviving eventually the base will be destroyed. Get a small army to capture the city and voilà.

That problem with the grain has never presented to me, I'm positive the system for modelling the creature to your liking works pretty well.

Finally I must agree with you on the pathfinding, it sucks horse cocks.

Van

The idea of it always made me want to play it..
    Still never have