Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lunar Republic Princess Luna's Avatar

Are games too easy nowadays?

Someone I know believes that games today are much easier than earlier games. Such as, Call of Duty 1. This person stated that Veteran on COD1 was very hard but veteran on later COD games are far easier. I think this person also stated that the first Mario games were much harder than today's as well.

Do you also think that people make games too easy nowadays?

Spoiler:
    Late-2006 - Started using Pivot.
    6 Apr/2010 - Became intermediate by winning the Best Beginner on DarkDemon contest.
    12 Aug/2011 - Returned to Beginner rank.
    20 Oct/2012 - Returned to DarkDemon.

Devoted Veteran

Re: Are games too easy nowadays?

First of all, your friend thinks CoD's easier because he's gotten better at it throughout the series' progression. And as for Mario; that's a kid's game, they make it easier for a reason.

I don't really have any easy games, so I can't relate.

Veteran Enthusiast

It's true, publishers are selling out IPs to become more casual to hit good sales results, the hardcore are being left behind. Only games that have come out in the last 5 years that I'd call hard (By default settings) would be Ninja Gaiden, Tekken 6s Arcade mode, and Operation Flashpoint.

More and more developers are aiming their games at the casual gaming market, because they know they'll make more money.

It's annoying, but there are a few good games every now and again that have a great difficulty curve. I don't have a problem with them being too easy if the story line is good. I've played through the MW2 story line at least 7 times and I love it- but it's piss easy.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    It's annoying, but there are a few good games every now and again that have a great difficulty curve.
    Tekken 6 was hard for me at first, then I started learning combo's for characters, and then all the other advanced gaming techniques and stuff and now I'm pretty good at it.

And chim, the tekken 6 arcade mode is easy once you know 10 hit combo's / juggles.

I dont play video games as much as i used to but i was pretty damn disappointed at the difficulty of zelda twilight princes. They put way to much work into the scenery and not the actual obstacles. I think they should put out an easy version, and a harder version for the more experienced players.

Being a Wii gamer, I know exactly what you mean. The cock-fuckoldry that developers are pushing upon us, the gaming crowd, is tantalizing. Only games such as No More Heroes and Monster Hunter 3 have been able to enlighten our highly deformed ruffian-selves. It's the fact that they sell more and cost less (speaking in general, I'm sure LOZ:TP cost much more than the average game) to produce. The profit gained is unarguably large. Albeit this puts many developers' focus on casual games and their remakes while leaving many veteran gamers in the dark.

But a company can't rely on the sales of only its hardcore fans. Homestar Runner (unrelated to gaming, related to this subject) has shown how much a series falters when catering only to them. A developer is going to have to change their series if they're going to want to get other audiences to buy from them, and making a game easier is (ironically) an easy way. People are less afraid of a video game that won't bloody murder them on the first boss, they tend to buy those games more often, and after the series is grounded it's possible they could heighten the difficulty.

Really, there are plenty of positives when developing an easier game. Ninja Gaiden has not amassed the same amount of popularity as what could be considered an easier version of it, God of War. Games that are made to be hard may tickle your fancy, but games that are made to be easy will cater to the widespread gaming platform while giving developers their due pay.
    [center:15cesajl]I'm gone, but I loved my time here. Thank you all for being such a great community![/center:15cesajl]

Veteran Enthusiast Lt. Longrods's Avatar

Also most games can also go online now, where difficulty is dependent on how much better you are than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Ecstasy
    Being a Wii gamer, I know exactly what you mean. The cock-fuckoldry that developers are pushing upon us, the gaming crowd, is tantalizing. Only games such as No More Heroes and Monster Hunter 3 have been able to enlighten our highly deformed ruffian-selves. It's the fact that they sell more and cost less (speaking in general, I'm sure LOZ:TP cost much more than the average game) to produce. The profit gained is unarguably large. Albeit this puts many developers' focus on casual games and their remakes while leaving many veteran gamers in the dark.
    LMFAO. Complaining about the difficulty of games on a console MADE FOR CASUAL GAMERS.

That's why I know how developers treat their casual market. It's absurdly easy to make money from the Wii, though it has its few difficult games.
    [center:15cesajl]I'm gone, but I loved my time here. Thank you all for being such a great community![/center:15cesajl]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast