Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Compatible computer parts - last updated 07/08/10

So ive started a project where im building a computer. My mom is paying for it. And this is my first build.
    And this is my questions thread for it. I will be listing my questions here.

Question 1: (resolved)

My mom is very nervous that the parts might not be compatible and what not and we only have one shot at this. Ive already gone through all the research to find out if everything is compatible and so far i dont see any problems. But my mom refuses to buy the parts until i get a double check from some sort of computer expert or whatever. and since there are plenty of that here: ive decided to ask you guys. So basically what im asking you guys: if these parts are put together correctly will they work?

500$ budget

List of parts:
    Hardrive
    Monitors
    Motherbored
    Graphics card
    Power supply
    Ram
    Processor
    Fans

Again: THIS IS MY VERY FIRST BUILD. If they do not fit together please give it in detail. Like which parts dont fit and why. Please. Thank you in advance.

Re: Compatible computer parts

Yep, looks fine. Although you know the fan is a CASE fan and not a fan for the CPU correct? The fan will fit on pretty much any standard case so no need to worry about that.

Main things to look out for are that your motherboard supports the type of RAM and processor that you're buying. But it does so you're alright.

Well, judging by you not giving us a budget I'll give you a build you can depend on:
    MOBO
    HDD
    Case
    Monitor
    GPU
    PSU
    RAM
    Processor
    CPU Cooler

The H50 cooler is liquid cooling but it comes pre-loaded and doesn't require maintenance so it's pretty nice. I didn't include thermal paste because the H50 comes with material already cured on it, but if you'd like apply some Arctic Silver. I went ATi because almost all current nVidia cards are underpowered space heaters. Is what I did was build you a rig that will last you a really good amount of time depending on how you use it, so yea. If you don't want to spend the money go ahead and drop the thing down to an AMD build and switch out the MOBO and the CPU. You could also lower the GPU. The build you have there is decent but an 8400 is a pile of shit that won't do much for you. Feel free to edit what I've given you. Oh, and if you're wondering why I didn't include a CD drive is because almost all games are going digital now, but they're only around 35-40 bucks so feel free to add one. Another thing is I picked the case based on functionality, and how great the cable management is. Feel free to add case fans, too. Anyway, with that I'll let you handle the rest.

What I have to say about what you built is that it's extremely out of date, 1 gig of ram is barely enough for VISTA let alone 7, the PSU is way underpowered and offbranded, the GPU is a pile of crap, you didn't pick out a case, crucial is budget ram but I wouldn't rule it out, corsair is just known for it's goodness. If you want an OS pick win7 home premium and dual-boot a linux OS if you feel like it. Building obsolete rigs isn't exactly the best way to spend the money and what I gave you is pretty easy to change up a bit depending, but if you want something that will last and have good support it'd be best to just invest in it.

Here's a guide for the H50 cooler if you need help:
    [youtube:1vqdulkl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxoFiFuS_g[/youtube:1vqdulkl]

About keyboards, I dunno how much you type, or how long you want it to last, but a nice mechanical keyboard is awesome. Filco/Unicomp(Holds the IBM model M patent for buckling springs)/Das keyboard are your best bets. They're sorta expensive (120+ without discounts) and Cherry MX blue switches are the best all around and give you that nice clack clack clak noise you hear from a good mechanical keyboard :3. Cherry MX Brown switches are the way to go if you don't like that noise. Here's a few demonstrations, examples of mechanicals:

The sound of a Cherry MX Blue switch on a Filco "Otaku" keyboard (otaku = no key lettering):
    [youtube:1vqdulkl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zLzB3wHFh0[/youtube:1vqdulkl]

A guide to mechanicals:
    [youtube:1vqdulkl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEDv5eWB9lU[/youtube:1vqdulkl]

I sort of went above and beyond what you asked, but I thought the keyboard part would help you somewhat and I was bored. As for mice, it really doesn't matter. Just remember Logitech and Razer have good ad campaigns and like to exaggerate their usefulness.

Moar on keyboard tech:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology

Typical keyboards you see such as ones from logitech and razer are low quality rubber dome switches with some riced up components. Mechanicals are an investment so make sure you pick the right one for you. Buckling springs = VERY very opinion based, but they're built like a tank. My friend still has his 1989 or so IBM Model M and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by STICKY FRESH BALLS
    Well, judging by you not giving us a budget I'll give you a build you can depend on:
    MOBO
    HDD
    Case
    Monitor
    GPU
    PSU
    RAM
    Processor
    CPU Cooler

-snip-
    If you weren't so dumb, you'd probably be able to tell, judging by the price of the parts he's chosen, and the fact he said his mum is paying for it, that he's on a fairly low budget.

[quote=Sir Skype]
    Quote Originally Posted by "STICKY FRESH BALLS":1bpk4f0b
    MOBO
    HDD
    Case
    Monitor
    GPU
    PSU
    RAM
    Processor
    CPU Cooler

-snip-
    If you weren't so dumb, you'd probably be able to tell, judging by the price of the parts he's chosen, and the fact he said his mum is paying for it, that he's on a fairly low budget.[/quote:1bpk4f0b]

Well it doesn't hurt to ask. If you're on a low budget all I said was the downgrade a few parts. If he's on that low of a budget he may as well get a laptop in my opinion. Not only that we aren't exactly being told it's purpose.

[quote=STICKY FRESH BALLS][quote="Sir Skype":sdssduu1]
    Quote Originally Posted by "STICKY FRESH BALLS":sdssduu1
    MOBO
    HDD
    Case
    Monitor
    GPU
    PSU
    RAM
    Processor
    CPU Cooler

-snip-
    If you weren't so dumb, you'd probably be able to tell, judging by the price of the parts he's chosen, and the fact he said his mum is paying for it, that he's on a fairly low budget.[/quote:sdssduu1]

Well it doesn't hurt to ask. If you're on a low budget all I said was the downgrade a few parts. If he's on that low of a budget he may as well get a laptop in my opinion. Not only that we aren't exactly being told it's purpose.[/quote:sdssduu1]

Yes because if he's on a budget he should buy a device with limited upgradability, and for the price, low performance.

about 500$ guys. Stop fighting. I can go about 30 dollars over but thats for stuff like shipping and tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Abadax
    about 500$ guys. Stop fighting. I can go about 30 dollars over but thats it.
    Well ok then, just up the power supply to a 650 watt or so, then add in an AMD Phenom instead of the Athlon and up the ram to 2gigs. That should still keep you around budget.

What I have to say about what you built is that it's extremely out of date, 1 gig of ram is barely enough for VISTA let alone 7,
    My current laptop has about a gig with xp and its working great. I was planning on getting xp anyway. I have a friend that has the disk and i also have one lying around here somehwere.

the PSU is way underpowered and offbranded,
    I wasnt really sure how much i needed so i just got the highest power i could get for about 30-50 bucks (the budget i had left over from everything else)
    the GPU is a pile of crap,
    Im not really a big expert on graphics cards to i kinda rely on reviews. I tried to find what made a graphics card good but i couldn't find anything. Can you explain?
    you didn't pick out a case,
    Already have one.
    Building obsolete rigs isn't exactly the best way to spend the money
    Well since i dont have much money and neither dose my mom i just needed a computer that could last me until i could get a job and be able to handle a few fps games with minimal lag. Than i would go ahead and buy a god box.
    and what I gave you is pretty easy to change up a bit depending, but if you want something that will last and have good support it'd be best to just invest in it.
    The problem is that i dont have the money to buy it in the first place. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by Abadax
    about 500$ guys. Stop fighting. I can go about 30 dollars over but thats it.
    Well ok then, just up the power supply to a 650 watt or so, then add in an AMD Phenom instead of the Athlon and up the ram to 2gigs. That should still keep you around budget.
    cant. Only with the cpu you said and the power supply was 8 dollars over budget. and my mom is really strict about this. We arent very moneyfull if you get what im saying. Plus the cpu dosnt fit with the mother bored

Well if 18 bucks is over too much I dunno what to say. If it's all compatible go ahead and do it. I think you might wanna make it obvious in the first post about the budget n such.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast