Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: ARCTIC SILVER 5

Fanatic Enthusiast Fuddermuffin's Avatar

ARCTIC SILVER 5

Couple months ago, I bought a really cheap power supply for my computer, but it provided enough power for my new graphics card.
    This Wednesday, the power supply overheated and there was a small, but loud electrical explosion. Of course, the whole thing fried itself, and I headed to buy a new one. Before that, I was stupid enough to open my computer and try to fix it. I ended up just cleaning all the dust out of every little corner. However, I tried to clean my heatsink fan on top of the CPU without knowing that if you removed the fan, it would fuck up the thermal grease between the processor and heatsink.
    Anyways, I ordered some Arctic Silver 5, which I read was the best or at least a very good thermal paste for my computer, and the Arcticlean kit so I can re-apply it. My main point is, I've never done this and I don't want to fuck up my CPU since I just had to buy a new power supply. I did do some research online on how to apply it, but I'm just wondering if anyone had done this before. Maybe you could give me some tips so I don't break my processor.

Or just share stories about how you broke something...
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1221454788.gif[/img] - Click Clack
    Steam ID: Fuddermuffin (Team Fortress 2)

Re: ARCTIC SILVER 5

Just make sure you don't directly touch the top of your processor. Natural oils from your hands on the processor = bad.

Just take off the existing heatsink and use rubbing alcohol to remove the existing thermal paste, reapply the new thermal paste, put the heatsink + fan back on.

What fan do you have? There's different ways you should apply it for the best effect. You could also lap it but that takes a lot of practice and not exactly worth risking on your only CPU.

I have the factory heatsink that came with the Intel Processor, Socket 775 or something. I was planning on using the tip of a credit card to spread out the grease. Is that a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuddermuffin
    I have the factory heatsink that came with the Intel Processor, Socket 775 or something. I was planning on using the tip of a credit card to spread out the grease. Is that a good idea?
    Just put a blob in the middle then press the heat-contact of the heatsink onto it and it will spread it out by itself

Well, I got the cleaner and grease today and applied it. I put a drop about the size of a grain of rice, maybe a bit more.
    It ended up raising the temperature. Should I re-apply it with more or was it just because I probably left some finger residue/dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuddermuffin
    Well, I got the cleaner and grease today and applied it. I put a drop about the size of a grain of rice, maybe a bit more.
    It ended up raising the temperature. Should I re-apply it with more or was it just because I probably left some finger residue/dust.
    Probably your fan. Was it completely spread out across the HSF + CPU? Make sure the fan is on too. If you can show us some pictures of it.