Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Need some help deciding

First decision:
    Upgrade my shitty blackberry bold 9650 that I've had for almost 2 years to an iPhone 4s on Monday.. or wait a few months until the new iPhone comes out?

Second decision:
    I'm looking for some recommendations on a gaming laptop ~$1000.

I'm an EasyTech associate at Staples and honestly never recommend Dell to anyone, usually stick with HP or Lenovo, but every review I've read on the Alienware m14x has been good.
    I like everything about it. It's pretty perfect since I'd be bringing it to and from class.

I'd definitely upgrade the GeForce 650 to 2gb, the LCD to the 1600x900 resolution, and then maybe the processor to the i7, the Killer wireless, and the 8gb of RAM.
    Everything there would cost $1479 plus tax. ($1333.80 if I get it before the sale ends)

$1274 plus tax without the i7, Killer wireless and 8gb RAM
    http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m14x-r2/pd.aspx

Now my mind is pretty much made. I plan on getting the iPhone and ordering the Alienware sometime next week, unless I get some good recommendations steering myself away. I know I'm gonna be pissed if I get the iPhone on Monday and the new one comes out a month later, but on the other token I just want to get rid of this blackberry already.
    [center:spejwvlf][/center:spejwvlf]

Re: Need some help deciding

On the first dilemma, I'd actually rather wait for the new iPhone to come out. It can't be that long before the iPhone 5 and if you're anything like me, you'll be happy you went with the more patient choice afterwards. And it's not like a BlackBerry is all that bad, as long as you can call and text, you can't complain all too much.

About the computer, the Alienware does seem quite good for it's price class, but if you aren't really going to make use of it's portable options, I'd consider getting a desktop, as those often have more power for less money. Nonetheless, does the laptop you picked looks pretty good and it's not all too expensive either.

Quote Originally Posted by Lympha
    On the first dilemma, I'd actually rather wait for the new iPhone to come out. It can't be that long before the iPhone 5 and if you're anything like me, you'll be happy you went with the more patient choice afterwards. And it's not like a BlackBerry is all that bad, as long as you can call and text, you can't complain all too much.

About the computer, the Alienware does seem quite good for it's price class, but if you aren't really going to make use of it's portable options, I'd consider getting a desktop, as those often have more power for less money. Nonetheless, does the laptop you picked looks pretty good and it's not all too expensive either.
    I have a desktop (pretty outdated but still runs games on mid-high settings), I'm going to be bringing the laptop to and from class.
    Thanks for the input. I would be too if I took the more patient route and waited, I'm just excited to get rid of the blackberry :P it freezes all the time

iPhone's aren't doing it anymore in my opinion. I know you said that you wanted one but, I would suggest that you look into android phones a bit and see if you wouldn't mind one, they have some really nice ones for the same price as an iPhone.

but, if you want one, I would wait for the 5.
    [center:1unt1isk]
    -Streak[/center:1unt1isk]

I know someone already brought it up, but you should put serious thought into upgrading your desktop and just getting a smaller netbook. If you want something to play games on, a desktop is better, the only reason you should go for a gaming laptop is for gaming at friend's places and the like. You say you want to take it to classes, but as someone with a pretty decent laptop that runs a lot of games, its the worst thing to have in class, super distracting. If you're planning on going over to friend's houses and what not and getting together to play, then I can see why a gaming laptop would be better, but just for something to take to classes a netbook will serve you fine.

There's also a lot of issues that come up with gaming laptops, mainly heat problems. I have a friend with an alienware laptop, and his gets so hot he can only play games for a few hours at a time before he has to shut it off to let it cool, and forget putting it on your lap for anything, it runs just way to hot. If you are really set on getting a portable gaming rig, then go for the laptop, but I would urge you to rethink what you want to do with it, and consider getting a small netbook that can surf the web and take notes easily enough, and then have a dedicated gaming rig. Also consider pricing, you say you are looking at $1333.80, imagine you get a $200 dollar netbook and put $1100.00 into a gaming desktop, I feel like your money would go further.

Thanks for the comment. I did put that into consideration. Another thing that leaned me towards the laptop is that I dorm at school, so when I go home on vacations I'd have to bring the desktop and monitor back and forth, which was pretty annoying to do last year. Also, since I dorm, I'd be able to bring it to friends' rooms and game on it there. So the portability was a big factor in my decision.

Also, I forgot to add in the first post that I don't plan on bringing it to all of my classes (although I probably will end up doing so) however 2 of my classes require a laptop (Web development, and Programming Concepts) so I definitely want something better than a netbook.