Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Fanatic Enthusiast

Cheap-ish gaming PC's?

I'm looking into investing in a Gaming computer because all my life i've has cheap shitty laptops that can't even handle minecraft at a high fps, i don't really have a budget but obviously the cheaper the better, what would you guys advise?

Bare in mind i know nothing at all about ram, or graphics cards and shit

Re: Cheap-ish gaming PC's?

What kind of games do you want to play? And would you like to be able to play the newest games?

If you want a gaming pc, cheap is not really an option. You should either be able to afford it or don't do it. Lets say you buy a cheap pc now that can just run the latest games, it will be a pain in the ass to run next year's games. If you buy one, it should atleast have a little buffer, performance wise, for the next couple of years. Or you would have to replace parts with better parts which would cost you even more money.
    (let me just tell you that playing shooters and stuff at the lowest graphics is not worth your time)
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Cavolia
    What kind of games do you want to play? And would you like to be able to play the newest games?

If you want a gaming pc, cheap is not really an option. You should either be able to afford it or don't do it. Lets say you buy a cheap pc now that can just run the latest games, it will be a pain in the ass to run next year's games. If you buy one, it should atleast have a little buffer, performance wise, for the next couple of years. Or you would have to replace parts with better parts which would cost you even more money.
    (let me just tell you that playing shooters and stuff at the lowest graphics is not worth your time)

basically that
    LoL Username: Mmmmooooooooo

I spent $2500 on my gaming desktop computer. So worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt
    I spent $2500 on my gaming desktop computer. So worth it.
    specs please
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

Fanatic Enthusiast

I don't think i'll be playing shooters and stuff, i'd prefer to play little things like Minecraft, but at a high fps, big render distance, fancy graphics and shit, on my laptop even small games lag and stuff it's terrible, i'd just like a pleasurable experience when playing games.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by vagiC
    I don't think i'll be playing shooters and stuff, i'd prefer to play little things like Minecraft, but at a high fps, big render distance, fancy graphics and shit, on my laptop even small games lag and stuff it's terrible, i'd just like a pleasurable experience when playing games.
    Then we are not talking about gaming PC's.
    For minecraft and other smaller games pretty much any new-ish PC will do.

Al though 1000$ can get you a pretty decent Gaming PC, If you are looking for the cheapest deal you should order the parts separately and put it together yourself.
    One Grand in a non pre built PC will get you pretty far running in the highest settings of most games.

And Cavolia, you play games for the graphics? Good for you.
    [center:69ipe3si]
    MY THREAD[/center:69ipe3si]

I am gonna explain you stuff about the specs and stuff. (Also, i gave you some recommandations about shit.)

1. The processor:
    The processor is important for very big games. But since you want to run Minecraft and those games like that, you shouldn't bother yourself with processors. I think you should get atleast 2.2 Ghz as a processor. I will be getting a new gaming computer soon and the processor will be around 3 Ghz. Also, do not take a Pentium processor. I recommend a i5/i7.
    2. The RAM
    The Random Access Memory, shortened as RAM is how much can your computer can handle at once. If you do no want to get memory problems on Minecraft, (Example when you blow up a fuckton of TNT, you can run out of memory on Minecraft, which is very annoying.) then you should get like 3 or 4 gigs of RAM.
    3. The Graphics Card
    The graphics card is REALLY important for gaming. I don't know a lot of names of graphics card, but if you wanna run Minecraft with all those fancy graphics and stuff (+ An HD texture pack or shaders mod) then get a NVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti, a lot of people recommended me to it. Its cheap and perfect.
    im havolis

^ Your recommendations are alright but...

- Processors aren't all about clock speed. Don't get me wrong clock speed plays a decent role. But my 2.3ghz i7 runs laps around my old pentium 3.2ghz. Can't really compare the 2 since ones a quad core and the others single just trying to make a point. Quad cores aren't really necessary for gaming but more and more games will start utilizing them in the future. I believe a few do already. They're really good for games with open worlds.

- Definitely want more than 3gb. I would say 6 minimum.

- Honestly if all your doing is playing minecraft it's kind of a joke to need a gaming computer. A 560ti is OVERKILL for that game.

Now that I got that all out. If you do plan on playing games other than minecraft and your on a budget, custom build it. It's like putting lego pieces together and the amount of instructional videos on how to build one is insane.
    - Go AMD for the processor.
    - Get a decent motherboard.
    - 6gb RAM.
    - Hard drives are a little expensive right now they'll probably begin decreasing in price within a year but you can probably find a good deal on one.
    - As for the graphics card. Resolution plays a huge role in performance. Honestly you can get a $100 graphics card if your playing on a smaller than 1920x1080 resolution. Video memory doesn't mean much unless your using multiple displays. If your just using a single display 1gb will suffice. There's a 550ti on newegg for $125. If you care more about graphics and your going to be playing on a 1080 screen then spend closer to $200. A radeon 6870 will max out everything under 1080 and most at 1080 and there's one on newegg $179.99.

Just one more thing that might help. I spent $1280 on my laptop.
    Specs
    Intel Core i7-3610 @ 2.3 GHz
    6gb RAM
    1gb Nvidia GeForce GT 650m
    500gb 7200rpm

I play GTA IV maxed out 35-40 fps. Arkham City on Very High 35 fps on the laptops native resolution (1600x900) haven't gotten to other games yet but I'm sure it will perform fine.
    Keep in mind that laptops are much more expensive than desktops AND the desktop counterparts perform much better than a laptops (GT 650m is little better than a desktop GTS 250; which is old as shit.)

P.S - There is such thing as a cheap gaming PC. It is very possible to build one under $1000. Also, desktops are very upgrade-able. So ignore the people saying it's impossible. I hope this actually helped and you didn't just skip over it, I wanted to be as informative as possible without overdoing it.
    [center:spejwvlf][/center:spejwvlf]

I actually don't know much about these stuff lol. Thanks for correcting SuperSupra.
    im havolis

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast