Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Zelda: Ocarina of Time Beta Quest/Ura

We all know and potentially love the Nintendo 64 and up releases of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Did you know though that before the game was to be released on the Nintendo 64 that it was originally supposed to be released on the Nintendo 64DD which never saw a release outside of Japan? Well, this part is completely true because it was supposed to be an entirely different game from what early gameplay and images show us; just take a long look:

Just a few images from a pre-release that has shown its face in the form of a video/screenshot on the internet.

Before we continue on any further, what exactly is a beta quest? From Unseen64
    The Beta Quests are events and scenarios not seen in the game, but that can be reached with Action replay/Game Shark codes. There is an incredible number of variants in the beta quests, and probably no one has really seen them all, so we can only wonder if there is still more stuff left in the cartridge. Some of these Beta Quest scenes are situations connected with the new features that would have been in Zelda URA, while in others it’s still possible to see some of the items cut in the transposition from disk to cartridge, or particulary situations that were changed a bit in the final version. Certainly a precious source of information of beta Zelda.

As Linkx111 has pointed out, this particular mode simply removes the pointers that would connect an area on the game map to another one. Zelda’s game areas are indeed listed inside a buffer, which contains all the areas inside of blocks. Removing the pointers permits the player to travel randomly from a map to another, eventually landing inside particular blocks which has no pointers and contains traces of old beta items, or permitting to explore the cutscene like we would be normally playing in the game. Many of the items could look like betas but are indeed just a messed up version of the normal game, due to the missing pointers but other items and scenes, not included in the final game, can be accessed via this method.

Also thanks to ZethN64 for pointing this out recently. To correct the previous statment, the beta quest code loads up specific scenes within a map without the cutscene trigger event activated. These cutscenes load up different object sets(NPC and object placement within a map) depending on the last value you use on the beta quest code.(BETACODE 000X) These scenes also contain old exit data within the map that do not always point correctly to the right exit due to the game being compiled and exit table being shifted so many times. Developers saw no reason to fix these exits since they were meant for cutscenes only and the player wouldn’t walk through these exits. These scene’s objects sets however do contain during the time of their creation object placement, aka beta actor/object placement. It gives us a glimpse of what the prerelease/ura Zelda would of been like with these object set placements and how much it differs from the final game.
    Now, an interesting concept is that the Beta Quest can easily be accessed through the use of GameShark Pro codes that allow the player to access some of the beta content that was either cut or removed from the final retail release. Sometimes, NFR [Not For Resale) cartridges include some of these features but it is not really known if the NFR Cart for Ocarina of Time includes this. Another interesting thing is that the guys from Hard4Games have done 3 Beta Questin' videos that show some of the cut content or changed content:
    [youtube:1sj7dgju]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdN0qtwX-H0&feature=plcp[/youtube:1sj7dgju]
    [youtube:1sj7dgju]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6E7qB3tIPY&feature=plcp[/youtube:1sj7dgju]

Now, with the plans of a 64DD Zelda game and such concepts like
    The first 64-bit version of Zelda, was originally conceived as a way designed to use the features of 64DD. Internal Clock, rewritable discs with a size double what had ever been used on the cartridge, internet connection and tools for editing images, Zelda 64 was presented by Nintendo itself as a title so huge and puzzling that it would be impossible to implement the normal N64. Miyamoto and his team wanted to make a world of Hyrule persistent and completely adapted to the will of the player, any change that would have affected Link to the scene, would have been saved, every tree cut, destroyed every case, the imprints of the feet on the sand, all these and many other things still would have been remembered and would have changed the game environment for the duration of our adventure.
    All this because of the possibility of 64 Disc Drive. But there was only one small problem: the 64DD was not greeted with much interest from professionals, remembering the bad purpose made by all previous add-on for console, the DD was growing slowly postponed, Nintendo itself lost confidence in the project and it was not clear if it ever really left. At this point, Nintendo had no other choice, also because of low sales of the N64, announced that Zelda 64 was adapted to be able to go out on normal cartridges, so hoping to renew interest in the console market. But this change meant the voidment of all those interesting features that would have been possible thanks to 64DD and part of the game and history had to undergo an extream cut.
    From an interview with N-ZONE magazine (translated with google and reported by GoNintendo) we can read that Aonuma admits that Ocarina of Time originally had more temples and magic abilities that were cut.
    Eiji Aonuma: Yes, you may be absolutely right, although I can not remember exactly all the details. There really is a difference between the temples, which we wanted to integrate and those that exist in the final game. And that had something to do with magic. We thought of integrating some actions, some plot threads, and some puzzles that have something to do with magic abilities.
    We have come to the conclusion that other, already existing, just regular items to be a worthy replacement. So we had originally three temples, which would capture the young Link, three temples for the adult Link and three in which he was to learn each spell – but instead we have eliminated a temple of it. In the final game is now so 3 plus 3 plus 2, or 8 temples to find.
    Also, some more interesting info from the early beta / prototype version of Zelda 64 were shared in the Iwata Asks dedicated to the Ocarina of Time 3D remake:
    Iwata: Oh, he wanted to make an FPS (first-person shooter).
    Koizumi: Right. In the beginning, he had the image that you are at first walking around in first-person, and when an enemy appeared, the screen would switch, Link would appear, and the battle would unfold from a side perspective.
    [...]
    Iwawaki: But…I do think we tried out a first-person perspective a little.
    Osawa: I think we made something to try it out, but decided it wasn’t interesting visually and abandoned it right away.
    [...]
    Iwata: You were originally developing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64DD.13
    Koizuma: Yes. Miyamoto-san said he had some ideas, like leaving behind all of Link’s footprints.
    Iwata: Yeah. (laughs)
    [...]
    Koizuma: That’s why he started saying that if Link was going to ride a horse, he wanted to include mounted archery and one-on-one battle. (laughs) We were able to include the mounted archery, but not the one-on-one battle.
    Iwata: But later you included it in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
    in this original game, there had to be an expansion much like the other Zelda games which saw Ura releases on both the Famicom Disk System and Super Famicom Satellaview as BS Zelda games which took the original game and basically made them into a second quest with the same character or a different character. Ura Zelda 64 or better known as Ocarina of Time Ura is considered to be once of the most mysterious add-ons to ever be conceived by Nintendo. Much like Super Mario 64 2, there were no screenshots ever released for the game; however, unlike the failed Super Mario 64 2, we got information to this game.
    Ura Zelda supposedly unlocked new mini-games, new sidequests, characters and shuffled around items to give Zelda players some new stuff to do in the familiar world of Hyrule.
    Shigeru Miyamoto told us shortly before the launch of Ocarina of Time, that “you first play the initial disk version of Zelda — after finishing everything, you can enter into the world, into the basic design of the same.
    It’s very much a parody game based on Ocarina of time, but with new dungeons to explore. It even features the same storyline.
    The title might support the GB Camera to create masks for Link. Miyamoto hinted of this possibility in a 64 Dream interview. If this does turn out to be true, gamers will be able to create their own masks in Talent Studio and implement them into Ura-Zelda.
    Ocarina Of Time was design with the introduction of the DD in mind, and if you load the game with the drive connected to your system, you will see a screen option, which says “Ura Zelda” another version of Zelda.
    There were several ideas I could not incorporate into Zelda because of the lack of time and various other factors. For example, I wanted to creat some extra dungeons for those who had completed the quest.
    The 64DD adventure is said to enable gamers to revisit areas and dungeons of Ocarina of Time and experience new adventures in familiar surroundings.
    Every change Link would make to his surroundings would stick. If you smashed a box, it would stay broken. If you dug a hole, it would remain there until you covered it. If you left footsteps in the sand, they would stay. All this was supposed to be made possible by the enhanced storage space of the 64DD.
    Miyamoto: “Whether or not we release it or not, we are still working on the game.”
    Ura-Zelda isn’t so much a new game as it is an expansion to an existing one: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (it is not compatible with Majora’s Mask).
    One of the few features that Nintendo told us about was the addition of new mask quests. Apart from the existing masks, Ura Zelda was to include many more — some of which were no doubt included in Majora’s Mask.
    August 25/2000: Speaking to the press in an open forum held yesterday in Tokyo, Japan, Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto casually commented that “Ura-Zelda” (aka: Legend of Zelda DD) has been completed for some time now.
    Ura Zelda could not be played without owning Ocarina of Time – and Nintendo was hoping one would help sell the other. After literally years of delays, Nintendo quietly dropped Ura Zelda from its release lists.
    Because the 64DD is unlikely to see an US release, Miyamoto also said the following. “We may have to have a special edition release (of Ura-Zelda) in the future.”
    A misconception that people seem to think is that the bonus disc for Wind Waker included the final release of Ura Zelda known as Master Quest. The game does in fact have one of the features that Ura Zelda would have which was remixed dungeons; however, there was so much more to Ura Zelda which makes it almost impossible for Master Quest to be Ura Zelda since it does not include the new items, weapons, enemies, locations, etc that Miyamoto had stated would be in the 64DD expansion. A cool little feature that seems to show up a lot is the fact that in earlier releases of the Ocarina of Time cartridge is that we do have partial access to Ura Zelda.

We have the DISK icon on the menu select screen which would be present after a player beat the "first quest" on the cartridge which would unlock Ura Zelda. If we go farther and look at debug access, we get two test maps that were used to test the hardware for the 64DD expansion. Granted these two rooms are inaccessible, but it's nice to see how far this game come to almost never ever being released or its unreleased expansion.

That's enough from me, I want you to guys to discuss this. Kind of consider this an Ocarina of Time discussion thread. What do you guys think of these things?

Resources:
    http://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/04/zeld ... eta-quest/
    http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Ocarina_of_Time
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Banned

Re: Zelda: Ocarina of Time Beta Quest/Ura

This would be awesome if it was released to the
    public. Nintendo would've sky rocketed if it was
    released.

Also, is it just me, or did this seem like it was
    gonna be a creepypasta at first?

Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    This would be awesome if it was released to the
    public. Nintendo would've sky rocketed if it was
    released.

Also, is it just me, or did this seem like it was
    gonna be a creepypasta at first?
    Haha, even know that I am a fan of creepypasta; I do know better as to where to be able to post it and all. The Legend of Zelda has always been a thing that has interested me in its past. The Zelda 64DD game would have re imagined what we see in Ocarina of Time to this day if it were to even still be released [I would imagine so since it is a major key to the Zelda Timeline that Nintendo made official in Hyrule Historia].
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

I guess it'd be pretty cool if that was released, but I'm actually not a fan of the whole old 3D genre of the Legend of Zelda, until like Twilight Princess.
    It's nice to know more of the history of one of my favorite franchises though.