Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Getting a gaming PC.

I'm getting a Gateway DX4870-UB20P, and it has pretty good things overall, I'll customize it further and turn it into a gaming computer, so ok, here are the initial specs and what I expect it to be after I'm done with it:

Initial.
    Processor: Intel I3 2120 3.3GHz
    Ram: 6GB -expandable to 16
    Graphics card: Intel HD graphics
    HDD: 1TB
    PSU: 300w

After:
    Processor: Intel I3 2120 3.3GHz
    Ram: 10GB -expandable to 16
    Graphics card: ASUS HD Radeon 6850
    HDD: 1TB
    PSU: 500w

Do you guys think that is at least something good to start up with?
    [center:2cr2jqg2][/center:2cr2jqg2]

Re: Getting a gaming PC.

You have more than enough with 2x4gb slots of ram, that would also enable dual channel supossing your motherboard supports it. Shell out the extra money into a 6870, it's really good for the price (160$ aproximattely). If you're planning on upgrading right away, then don't buy a fully built computer, just get the parts that you're actually going to use, or it's going to be a huge waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Xemozu
    You have more than enough with 2x4gb slots of ram, that would also enable dual channel supossing your motherboard supports it. Shell out the extra money into a 6870, it's really good for the price (160$ aproximattely). If you're planning on upgrading right away, then don't buy a fully built computer, just get the parts that you're actually going to use, or it's going to be a huge waste of money.
    Well, I'm actually planning to add on along the way, maybe like a month later or so I'll get myself the power supply and I'll see if my motherboard can enable dual channel, so I can in fact get the 6870, I've heard it's better.

*update*
    So I got it, using it now, gotta say, it's pretty fast, still needs those extra ram and a new PSU and a GPU.

Skip on the ram for the meanwhile, I have 4 gigs in my gaming rig and it has never seen 100% use. (My monitor isn't huge though) I'd say PSU then GPU. Chances are that it won't even turn on with a 300 Psu if you get a 6870

Return the gateway and buy the parts separately. You'll save money and have a lot more upgrade possibilities.
    [center:spejwvlf][/center:spejwvlf]

I don't see why you are gonna spend all this extra money on more ram and shit when you should get an i5 or above processor :/

What we all loves. Bitches that can hit balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler
    I don't see why you are gonna spend all this extra money on more ram and shit when you should get an i5 or above processor :/
    Actually, the 2120 has outdone the Phenom 4 many times, which leads me to believe it isn't bad at all, but I'm getting an i7 2600k for video editing/gaming and I have an extra computer that needs a 2120 so I don't really lose any money.

But I see your point, a quad is "better" but like I said, I'm getting an i7.

*sorry for the bump*