Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Indie Games

Indie Games

So, before I jump into anything, I want to start off by telling why I made this topic.
    Whenever I visit this particular forum on DarkDemon I most often get bored really quickly and return to the index page. This is for the very reason that I don't play a lot of games that are featured here, because I either haven't played them or just don't enjoy the game or genre. But there is a genre I often do enjoy, which leads us to...

Indie Games!

As I'm sure most of you are aware of, indie stands for independent. This means the developers of these games are often small groups (sometimes it's even one person, like the creator of the infamous game Cave Story) work on a game without having to be depending on bigger companies, such as EA, Bethesda, Rockstar, etc. Because of this, indie game developers have the ability to put all their creativity into their game. This makes the indie scene very unique when it comes to gaming. I'm not saying that there aren't very creative games by mainstream companies and neither am I saying that all indie games are creative, but generally speaking the game industry big-shots (especially EA) tend to follow a continuous line of games that don't contain to much originality.
    Which is why I am a big fan of indie games.

Now, making threads here for individual indie games can be quite wasteful as they often don't get a lot of attention and there are just so many of them. Therefor I introduce you to the indie game thread where you can discuss indie games you enjoy and want others to be more aware of.'

If you want to stay a bit up-to-date with indie gaming, here are some sources to go to:
    IndieGames.com
    Reddit.com/r/IndieGaming

Re: Indie Games

My friend kept telling me about this game called "Hidden in plain sight". I just watched a video on it now and it looks very fun and intense. I'm excited to play this, and I'll post a video:
    [youtube:kocoawwc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XXzdVP26g[/youtube:kocoawwc]
    This game is an Xbox live indie game, and it is 80 points, I believe, which would be equivalent to $1.

Pingu

That game looks quite decent, I'd say for one dollar it's worth trying it out. I probably would if I had an XBox.

Anyway, at the moment I'm kinda low on money, but once I have more again (around the end of the month when I get payed out), I will definitely pick up both Pid, which looks like a great game, despite it's reviews, and Mark of the Ninja, which is a really awesome stealth platformer.
    Right now my biggest issue is that I don't own a good computer, although we're getting a pretty good one soon, I'm gonna have to save up for a good PC myself.

Hotline Miami.

http://hotlinemiami.com/

Short but sweet and one of the most fun experiences I've ever had. It's only 10 dollars, try it before you buy it, whatever, but I recommend you at least try it. Also, it was made by Cactus. Yes, THAT Cactus who made those weird as fuck flash games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e7p85vud-I (only video i could find that was pretty short)
    Stripes would be good camouflage, if tigers weren't bright orange.
    The turtle is one part fortress, one part... mobile home.
    I love honey, but bees..
    emanating fire really cuts down on cozy nest options.

Hotline Miami was fun as fuck and the OST was godly. Godamnit, that fucking OST.
    スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::

スリップノット「I A M N O T H A P P I E R T H A N Y O U」::

I saw this in my Twitter feed today; a free to play board game for the PC that's made extremely realistic, you can even cheat, like with actual board games.
    [youtube:uvujlms8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WD0gMu0LDU[/youtube:uvujlms8]

MEn

^^^^^^^^^ Created by Wolfire, same people who made Receiver, developing Overgrowth, and host the Humble Bundles.

Great indie developer to check out, their game overviews are really quite interesting.

I have quite a lot of indie games on my Steam library, but I'm quite a fan of Natural Selection 2 right now. The gameplay is incredibly unique, and it's a great sequel to the first installment. Combining both RTS and FPS, the amount of teamwork required will insure that you fail if your team doesn't work cooperatively. A lot of strategy involved other than being good at an FPS. Fantastic game to pick up, it's on sale on Steam for 15 bucks.
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/
    Quote Originally Posted by cold_sausage
    tht is a 2 word post pls add more 2 yor comment or i will report you to the mods

i dun think this is real just fake

Natural Selection 2 has indeed get a lot of good reactions, though I don't see myself playing it any time soon, as I've got many other games on Steam I haven't played yet and I'm generally not a big fan of FPS games.

Also, I found this nice summary of many indie games released in 2012 on chronological order.
    TwntyTwlv.

Also, I'm planning on buying both Pid and Mark of the Ninja, but I'm hoping they'll get a nice discount during the winter sale first.