Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Weekly Discussions: Week 2 on Page 2!

[center:3r96q4lm]WELCOME TO WEEKLY DISCUSSIONS[/center:3r96q4lm]

Now, before anyone jumps the gun and says that this thread is too similar to the General Gaming Discussion thread that is stickied above; let me explain this concept. This thread is going to be used to hold weekly discussions in which a different topic will be chosen at the end of Sunday and will be the topic of this thread for our community to discuss. People can request topics and there will be a poll added every Saturday morning for people to vote for next week's discussion. After a topic is finished, it will be listed in a Table of Contents VIA this post so people can go back and look through the previous discussions. Each week will be something new and exciting whether it'd be gaming related news or just talking about a specific franchise and sharing your thoughts with the rest of the community. In a sense, this thread is going to be used to somewhat cut down on the multiple threads for franchises and the bumping that constantly occurs within this section. I only have a few rules that I'd like to run by everyone before we hop into this week's discussion topic:

• Stay focused to the topic[s] that are current.

When requesting a new topic for the next week's discussion, please be sure that it is either updated or something that hasn't already been posted within the archive of topics.

Keep the topics relevant to gaming news [e.g. companies going under, new video-games, etc.]

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, do not put down others for their views on something. It's fun to have friendly debates with one another and speculate but please try to keep it within those means instead of flaming a user because they like/dislike/have a different view than you about something.

These are my 4 basic rules that I can guarantee everyone can follow.

[center:3r96q4lm]ARCHIVE[/center:3r96q4lm]
    [center:3r96q4lm]You can easily use Ctrl-F to find all of the topics, if they are not on here then they have not been posted as of yet[/center:3r96q4lm]
    Week 1: The Zelda Franchise, THQ Bankruptcy, Wii U Gets the Virtual Console, and Operation Rainfall/Moonfall - Page 1
    Week 2: Jailbreak, Hyrule Historia, Resident Evil? - Page 2

[center:3r96q4lm]Week 1: Wind Waker HD, THQ Bankruptcy, Wii U Gets the Virtual Console, and Operation Rainfall/Moonfall[/center:3r96q4lm]
    [center:3r96q4lm]Citations
    http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/comme ... -this-fall - Wind Waker HD Article
    http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 1883.story - THQ Bankruptcy
    http://www.cubed3.com/news/17972/1/30th ... games.html - Famicom's 30th Anniversary[/center:3r96q4lm]

[center:3r96q4lm]Games of the Month to be Released as of Week 1:[/center:3r96q4lm]
    [center:3r96q4lm]Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    The Cave
    Devil May Cry
    Max Payne 3: Deathmatch Made in Heaven DLC
    Dust 514
    Escapevektor
    Anarchy Reigns
    Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
    Painkiller Hell & Damnation
    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2[/center:3r96q4lm]

Welcome everyone to the first Weekly Discussion where we will be talking about the recent news from Nintendo about the Zelda Franchise, the THQ bankruptcy, the Wii U and its upcoming Virtual Console and 30th Anniversary for the Famicom deal and the latest on Operation Rainfall and Operation Moonfall. Let's start with the The Zelda Franchise since this one seems to be a bit in the air with old fans and new fans!

[center:3r96q4lm][/center:3r96q4lm]

From Zelda Informer and various other websites, Nintendo of Japan's president Mr. Iwata has announced that instead of a new Zelda title to be released for the Wii U, the fans will be receiving a complete remake of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker in HD. This has some fans up in arms as Iwata previously stated that the company would first focus on a new Zelda title for the Wii U/3DS instead of making another remake for a next-generation console/handheld and wasn't true to his word. From a Nintendo fan like myself, I take the Zelda series with a grain of salt and will pick the game up regardless if it is the same game I played and purchased years ago on the home consoles; however, I'm not so sure about this one. Tying in with a later article, I'm a huge supporter of Operation Moonfall which is the petition to get Majora's Mask ported over to the 3DS by Grezzo like Ocarina of Time received back when the Nintendo 3DS was first released and it somewhat angers me that Nintendo would opt to remake a game that is not nearly as old let alone hasn't aged as much as Majora's Mask has. Will this be a game on your wish-list? Are you excited to see that Wind Waker is receiving the HD makeover for Nintendo's latest home console: the Wii U? Do you think Nintendo should The community would like to know your opinion so share it below.

----

[center:3r96q4lm][tn=300:3r96q4lm]http://icrontic.com/uploads/features/2013/01/THQ_Dissolved.png[/tn:3r96q4lm][/center:3r96q4lm]

Next on the list of topics that have popped their faces up is the news that THQ is no more. Companies have purchased most if not all of THQ's assets which range from the WWE titles to the world of Saints Row and also to THQ's newest title that is soon to be released Metro: Last Light. What are your guys thoughts and opinions on the THQ bankruptcy? Do you think they could have gotten out of the slump that they were in or did you see this coming? The community would again like to know your opinion on this matter. Read the article above to learn more!

----

Now, we once again move to Nintendo as the company has just recently decided to release a Virtual Console for Wii U owners and the exclusive deal that users can get in light of the 30th Anniversary for the Family Computer (Famicom for short)!

Nintendo announced on January 23 of this year that the Famicom will be celebrating its 30th birthday since it was first conceived in the early-to-mid 80s. So what illustrious birthday gift will Nintendo give the console that started off Nintendo's major home console success? By releasing the Virtual Console for the Wii U which is soon to come and promote some Famicom/Super Famicom games from now until July 2013 for 30 cents a piece every day. Who all gets this promotion? As of right now, it looks like everyone will receive this once and a lifetime deal. After 30 days, prices will be changed to their intended prices; however, if you are a person that owns a Wii U, here is the list of games that you will be able to pick up on the Virtual Console for 30 cents a day in the specified month:

January: Balloon Fight
    February: F-Zero
    March: Punch-Out! Featuring Mr. Dream
    April: Kirbyís Adventure
    May: Super Metroid
    June: Yoshi
    July: Donkey Kong

What does everyone think of this deal? Will you purchase any of these games in light of the 30th birthday celebration for the Famicom or will you skip out on this offer and wait until it is available at full price on the Wii U Virtual Console? Do you think they could have added some other titles to make it the full 30-30-30 experience from now until July? Give your opinion below!

----

And the final piece of video-game news comes from the homefronts of both Operation Rainfall and Operation Moonfall; one is good news while the other is not so much.

For those who have been following Operation Rainfall, a petition to get Japanese RPG games like Xenoblade localized is finally nearing its end as the Wii is going to be making a come-back with Pandora's Tower: the last of the 3 games to be localized for an English speaking audience. Below is a video by Alphaomegasin who talks a bit about Pandora's Tower and what the petition could mean in the near future if Nintendo keeps games that interest audiences who speak English in Japan:

[youtube:3r96q4lm]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiV1IRstzgg[/youtube:3r96q4lm]

As for Operation Moonfall, there seems to some controversy with the Wind Waker HD remake to be released this fall. As stated in the first article, Iwata said that no more remakes would be made on the Zelda series until the newest title would be released which he has since retracted his statement about as we are getting a remake. For those living under a rock, Operation Moonfall is the petition to get Majora's Mask ported to the 3DS as a standalone game which would feature the updated graphics that we saw in Ocarina of Time 3D to be developed by Grezzo and published by Nintendo. Nintendo has stated that they would decide when the time would be fit to talk about it and fans are currently in an uproar as to why not now. I for one would like to see Majora's Mask ported to the 3DS as the first N64 title was published to the 3DS with better looking graphics which gives the game some justice. The thing that I think Nintendo doesn't seem to grasp is how much this means to the fans as Majora's Mask is considered to be a gem much like Ocarina of Time. Sure, the game didn't sell as well but the storyline is a lot more dark than the first and it has gained a cult-following deeming it worthy to be a sequel that hasn't aged quite as well as most N64 games have. Another point is that Wind Waker is not as old as Majora's Mask and has aged pretty well for the standards of the Gamecube. What are your thoughts on Operation Moonfall and Operation Rainfall? Post them below!

Well, that wraps up Week 1 of Weekly Discussions. I would love to hear your guys opinions on the new topic and the articles that I've provided for you all for this week. This week's discussion will end next Sunday and voting will take place next Saturday for new topics about the video-game industry.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

P2k

Re: Weekly Discussions: Wind Waker HD, THQ Bankruptcy, etc

I was planning on getting a WiiU eventually anyway, so the game updates are cool.

Windwaker HD isn't necessary and I'd prefer a majoras mask update, but windwaker is my favourite game of all time and improved visuals/additional content would definitely give me another play through, and I'd gladly shell out another 60$ for my favourite game.

Also xenoblade 2, fuck yeah. Graphics look great but gameplay looks worse, guess we'll see.
    -

I've heard about THQ and I must say that, even though we all knew this was going to happen, I still find it sad that it actually did. I was really wishing THQ would live on and even though the company hasn't brought out a lot of games I got into (with exception of Saints Row: the Third), they did make some really good games and I hope that their current projects, such as Saints Row 4 will actually still be released. The THQ press said that most of the games currently in development will come out eventually, just not in the near future.

As for everything around Nintendo, I never enjoyed any of the Zelda games with a lot of passion ever since they hit the 3D era. Well, actually, I never played any of the games since the last five years, but I just like the older ones a lot better.
    So I won't be getting a WiiU anytime soon.

Good thread, kind of misses some rather interesting points of the last few weeks. Also a suggestion to add some interesting new releases this month. Like in this case Ni No Kuni.

Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DaniŽl
    I've heard about THQ and I must say that, even though we all knew this was going to happen, I still find it sad that it actually did. I was really wishing THQ would live on and even though the company hasn't brought out a lot of games I got into (with exception of Saints Row: the Third), they did make some really good games and I hope that their current projects, such as Saints Row 4 will actually still be released. The THQ press said that most of the games currently in development will come out eventually, just not in the near future.

As for everything around Nintendo, I never enjoyed any of the Zelda games with a lot of passion ever since they hit the 3D era. Well, actually, I never played any of the games since the last five years, but I just like the older ones a lot better.
    So I won't be getting a WiiU anytime soon.

Good thread, kind of misses some rather interesting points of the last few weeks. Also a suggestion to add some interesting new releases this month. Like in this case Ni No Kuni.

Interesting stuff.
    Thank you for the input, I will definitely take that into consideration for the next week!

I thought Wind Waker HD was too soon until I got told it's 10 years old. Seriously, already that old?

And a Majora Mask re-release on 3DS or Wii U is still possible, and I'm sure it will actually happen. The reason it was so complicated is because Nintendo weren't sure, or still aren't sure, that it will generate a good amount of profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilio
    I thought Wind Waker HD was too soon until I got told it's 10 years old. Seriously, already that old?
    It's definitely hard to believe that Wind Waker is 10 years old; however, it has aged quite well since the game utilized cel-shaded graphics that were actually really good for the Gamecube's standards.

Devoted Veteran

Although I agree that it was a mildly entertaining game, I'm disappointed that they're choosing Wind Waker for a remake; of all the possibilities opened by the new graphics of the WiiU, they choose this. It isn't that I dislike the game, it's just the style of it makes it seem like something made for very young children. The more mature, pseudo-realistic Link fits my tastes more; it should have been Ocarina of Time that was remade for this.

e: but I suppose I see the reasoning behind it; seems like the Wii is a more family-oriented console

Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart
    Although I agree that it was a mildly entertaining game, I'm disappointed that they're choosing Wind Waker for a remake; of all the possibilities opened by the new graphics of the WiiU, they choose this. It isn't that I dislike the game, it's just the style of it makes it seem like something made for very young children. The more mature, pseudo-realistic Link fits my tastes more; it should have been Ocarina of Time that was remade for this.

e: but I suppose I see the reasoning behind it; seems like the Wii is a more family-oriented console
    I would normally agree with you if the game wasn't visually astonishing.

Sure the cell-shaded art makes the game look less serious than its peers, but it didn't stop Wind Waker at having a darker or a mystical tone later on in the game. I have always viewed Wind Waker as a visual feast, from architecture to character and boss design, so I never understood the "hate" behind the cell-shaded art. And to say that Wind Waker was aimed at kids is just refusing to see the whole picture.In my opinion, the story of Wind Waker is by far the one with the most depth. I don't really want to explain why, so I'll just quote something from another forum.

[spoiler:3peomlh0]
    I may have to think about this and go through some other Zeldas, like MM, which would be WW's best competition in the story element. But I will agree that WW's story is really really well told. I like how well it presents the events of OoT as an ancient legend. Then the storyline of the game itself, very well told. I liked how it developed as the game went on.

It starts out as simple as Link having to save his sister from some oversized bird, and then it escalates into him having to pretty much save the world from the King of Evil, Ganondorf himself. The build-up is outstanding.

The game develops Link as more of a character than just a model for the gamer. The character Tetra is one of the most well-done characters, and possibly my favorite character, of the entire series. For a game that has no voice acting, like all in the series, it's quite an accomplishment for this game to truly give the gamer an idea of one of the character's personality. This is executed so well with Tetra. Imagine what kind of impression she'd have if there was voice acting. And the build-up to her being Zelda is so much more well done than Sheik in OoT (I ironically just made a thread about that). I was actually surprised to find out she was Zelda.

As the story moves on, you find out why Link's sister was kidnapped. At first I just thought the bird was hungry and Link's sister was the first thing it saw. I never expected it to actually have a reason for it. It mistook her for Tetra, who I'm guess was suspected of being Zelda (maybe I'm wrong with this).

The way Hyrule comes into the story is great. Turning Hyrule into something like the Lost City of Atlantis was genius. I actually got goosebumps when going down to Hyrule Castle, hearing that soothing version of the ALttP castle music after you pull the sword. It actually gave me chills, seeing the statue of Link, the portraits on the wall, the stain-glasses windows depicting the sages from OoT.

I was surprised by how important this story was. I thought it was going to just be some silly, meaningless story, like Phantom Hourglass. I thought saving Link's sister was the main objective of the quest, but I was surprised at how much there was on the line.

The best part of the WW story was that it was just so easy to follow. This is great, because I think WW is the best game to introduce someone to the serie with. It's a colorful game, with a very low difficulty level and fun gameplay, and the story just adds to that.

I'm going to have to play through Majora's Mask again to determine which story is better, but Wind Waker certainly is one of the best and could be the best.
    [/spoiler:3peomlh0]

I guess the notable example that most fans remember is

[spoiler:3peomlh0][youtube:3peomlh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcK1vOimZI4[/youtube:3peomlh0][/spoiler:3peomlh0]

After re-reading Daniel's post about adding releases for the month, I've decided to compile a list of games to add as a separate segment towards the topic of the thread for this month for people to discuss as January winds down. You can also read about the releases in this post!

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
    The Cave
    Devil May Cry
    Max Payne 3: Deathmatch Made in Heaven DLC
    Dust 514
    Escapevektor
    Anarchy Reigns
    Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
    Painkiller Hell & Damnation
    Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2

This list is not final and users can submit games to the thread to be added to the first page!

Devoted Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Wilio
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionheart

I would normally agree with you if the game wasn't visually astonishing.

Sure the cell-shaded art makes the game look less serious than its peers, but it didn't stop Wind Waker at having a darker or a mystical tone later on in the game. I have always viewed Wind Waker as a visual feast, from architecture to character and boss design, so I never understood the "hate" behind the cell-shaded art. And to say that Wind Waker was aimed at kids is just refusing to see the whole picture.In my opinion, the story of Wind Waker is by far the one with the most depth. I don't really want to explain why, so I'll just quote something from another forum.

[spoiler:3ft5no54]
    I may have to think about this and go through some other Zeldas, like MM, which would be WW's best competition in the story element. But I will agree that WW's story is really really well told. I like how well it presents the events of OoT as an ancient legend. Then the storyline of the game itself, very well told. I liked how it developed as the game went on.

It starts out as simple as Link having to save his sister from some oversized bird, and then it escalates into him having to pretty much save the world from the King of Evil, Ganondorf himself. The build-up is outstanding.

The game develops Link as more of a character than just a model for the gamer. The character Tetra is one of the most well-done characters, and possibly my favorite character, of the entire series. For a game that has no voice acting, like all in the series, it's quite an accomplishment for this game to truly give the gamer an idea of one of the character's personality. This is executed so well with Tetra. Imagine what kind of impression she'd have if there was voice acting. And the build-up to her being Zelda is so much more well done than Sheik in OoT (I ironically just made a thread about that). I was actually surprised to find out she was Zelda.

As the story moves on, you find out why Link's sister was kidnapped. At first I just thought the bird was hungry and Link's sister was the first thing it saw. I never expected it to actually have a reason for it. It mistook her for Tetra, who I'm guess was suspected of being Zelda (maybe I'm wrong with this).

The way Hyrule comes into the story is great. Turning Hyrule into something like the Lost City of Atlantis was genius. I actually got goosebumps when going down to Hyrule Castle, hearing that soothing version of the ALttP castle music after you pull the sword. It actually gave me chills, seeing the statue of Link, the portraits on the wall, the stain-glasses windows depicting the sages from OoT.

I was surprised by how important this story was. I thought it was going to just be some silly, meaningless story, like Phantom Hourglass. I thought saving Link's sister was the main objective of the quest, but I was surprised at how much there was on the line.

The best part of the WW story was that it was just so easy to follow. This is great, because I think WW is the best game to introduce someone to the serie with. It's a colorful game, with a very low difficulty level and fun gameplay, and the story just adds to that.

I'm going to have to play through Majora's Mask again to determine which story is better, but Wind Waker certainly is one of the best and could be the best.
    [/spoiler:3ft5no54]

I guess the notable example that most fans remember is

[spoiler:3ft5no54][youtube:3ft5no54]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcK1vOimZI4[/youtube:3ft5no54][/spoiler:3ft5no54]
    Never having played through the entire game, I suppose I shouldn't jump to such conclusions.. If I ever come to own a WiiU, I'll more than likely give this a shot.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast