Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

The Video Game Archive Project

[center:72t8c4c3]Welcome to the Video Game Archive Project![/center:72t8c4c3]

What is the Video Game Archive?
    The Video Game Archive is a project that I have started to preserve the games and consoles of the past that haven't seen the light of day to keep people interested in the older generation. You might have seen the ASSEMBler forums and their collection of unreleased hardware and prototypes; however, this is simply going to be a thread for preserving history without violating copyright laws.

How is this going to work exactly?
    Well, seeing how this is a thread, it is going to be just that. This is going to be an encyclopedia of video games that haven't been released as well as consoles. This thread's primary focus is for users to openly discuss about the past with games and consoles that they might have seen but never got their hands on. My ultimate goal is to collect off of the information provided by not only myself, but the community of Darkdemon and show the rest of the world what they missed out on in the long run.

How can I contribute?
    There are many ways that you can contribute to this project if you are willing to help!

[center:72t8c4c3]
    • You can get ahold of me in two different ways via Skype (username in my signature, just add me) or Personal Message on the forum. Keep in mind that options are limited for me as I do not check Steam or PSN as frequently as I do on Skype or my PM's.

Research, research, research! The more research I have on an object that I have no recollection of, the better. I plan on making a channel to upload videos that not only include gameplay but also structured and informative videos on each item in this thread and then some.

Post new games to potentially be added. You can check the guidelines below to see what is accepted and what will be declined.

Keep other users up to date with gameplay footage, reliable resellers, and screenshots of fundraisers from outside sources. To elaborate this rule a bit further in one aspect before it causes any controversy, the screenshots of the fundraisers are only for me to keep the information in this up-to-date! All that needs to be said when posting a screenshot for the release of a prototype is which site is from without the need of a URL and what is included in said prototype/unreleased artifact. No one will contribute to said fundraiser as they have their community doing that; this community is only going to preserve the information and history without the need of acquiring the physical thing.
    [/center:72t8c4c3]

What are the guidelines?
    This thread is for older games; however, I will allow unreleased entities (eg. games and consoles) up to the original Xbox and PS2. That's the only guideline I have for this thread in terms of content. As for posting, I can only say that try to read the thread beforehand to make sure what is in your post isn't already in the thread.

[center:72t8c4c3]Welcome to the Video Game Archive Table of Contents
    Above each game is a spoiler tag, please click on them to get more information on what you are looking for. They will be in alphabetical order![/center:72t8c4c3]

[center:72t8c4c3]Earthbound 64 (Coming Soon)
    Nintendo 64DD
    Zelda 64/Ura Zelda[/center:72t8c4c3]

[center:72t8c4c3]These will be updated as more information is gathered and added[/center:72t8c4c3]

[center:72t8c4c3]Earthbound 64 (Coming Soon)
    No spoiler tags as of yet as the write-up is currently being written[/center:72t8c4c3]

[center:72t8c4c3]Nintendo 64DD
    The information is from an older thread that I did a write-up on previously![/center:72t8c4c3]

[center:72t8c4c3][spoiler:72t8c4c3]What is the Nintendo 64DD?
    The Nintendo 64DD [Disk Drive] was a disk based add-on that was supposed to come out in North America, Europe, and Japan. Out of all of the countries, once again... a Japanese exclusive add-on. The add-on would sort of have the same features much like the Famicom Disk System and Super Famicom's Satellaview, in that it would not only have its share of new games but also update older games with updated graphics and such with the use of a cartridge and modem to sign into the special software included. The Satellaview had the BS exclusive games which were never released on a physical form [with the exception of reproduction cartridges which can range anywhere in price depending on the game, its rarity, and other determining factors], but instead were released via a satellite that players could sign into the service and download to flash cartridges. Much like the Satellaview, the Nintendo 64DD would include its own service called the RandnetDD cartridge and disk which would respectively hook into both decks of the console and the add-on. This would allow players to get a subscription to the Randnet where they could do a number of features which includes:

Battle Mode: Play against other gamers and swap scores.
    Observation Mode: Watch other players' game sessions.
    Beta Test: Play sample levels from upcoming games.
    Information Exchange: Use online message boards and e-mail with other users.
    Community: Swap messages with the game programmers and producers.
    Internet Surfing: Surf the Internet with the custom web browser.
    Digital Magazine: Check online sports scores, weather, and news.
    Music Distribution: Listen to music, some of which was yet to be released in stores.
    Editing Tool: Create custom avatars to interact with other users.

In a sense, you can tell that the Nintendo 64DD was ahead of its time; however let's get into the technical aspect of things. From Wikipedia, the article states:

The 64DD has a 32-bit coprocessor to help it read magneto-optical discs, and to transfer data to the main console. It was intended to be Nintendo's answer to the cheaper-to-produce Compact Disc that was used for Sony's PlayStation. Sony's CD storage could hold approximately 650 megabytes (MB) of information, compared to the Nintendo 64's 4-64 MB cartridge. The 64DD also has a built in memory expansion pack like the accessory for the controller. The new medium for the 64DD was rewritable and had a storage capacity of 64 MB. The games on normal N64 cartridges could also hook up with DD expansions, for extra levels, minigames, even saving personal data. The drive works similarly to a Zip drive, and has an enhanced audio library for the games to use. The main N64 deck uses its RCP and NEC VR4300 to process data from the top cartridge slot and the I/O devices. To hook up with the 64DD, it needed an extra 4 MB of RAM for a total of 8 MB. Like nearly all disc-based consoles, the 64DD can boot up without a cartridge on the top deck, because it has a boot menu. The 64DD had its own development kit that worked in conjunction with the N64 development kit.
    It definitely has a mystique to it because with the console add-on only being a Japan-only exclusive much like certain games have seen a Japan-only release [i.e Seiken Densetsu 3 for the Super Famicom], it really makes you wonder why we never got the console add-on let alone the games.

That's all fine and well but what do the games look like?

Out of all the Nintendo 64 games released throughout its lifespan [ranging upwards to 300+ games], you would expect the 64DD to do the same thing. Wrong, only 9 games were ever released in the life-span of the add-on. This is a bit disappointing because the other console add-ons that were marketed with the older consoles in Japan such as the Disk System for the Famicom and the Satellaview had several games released that were exclusive to that particular add-on at the time of their releases. More or less, there are more proposed games than actual released games for the add-on in this equation which is rather disappointing to see since the 64DD had the potential for growth. All the games that were released are as followed in both their translated names and original names:

Released
    F-Zero X Expansion Kit (???? ???? ???????? ????)?(04/21/00)
    Japan Pro Golf Tour 64 (??????????64 Nippon Puro Gorufu Tsua 64?)?(05/02/00)
    Doshin the Giant (??????1 Kyojin no Doshin 1?)?(12/01/99)
    Doshin the Giant: Rescue from the Front by the Toddlers that Tinkle at the Large Meeting-hall" (?????????? ?????????? Kyojin no Doshin Kaih? Sensen Chibikko Chikko Daish?g??)?(05/17/00)
    Mario Artist: Communication Kit (????????? ?????????????)?(06/29/00)
    Mario Artist: Paint Studio (????????? ?????????)?(12/01/99)
    Mario Artist: Polygon Studio (????????? ?????????)?(08/29/00)
    Mario Artist: Talent Studio (????????? ?????????)?(02/23/00)
    SimCity 64 (??????64?)?(02/23/00)

Proposed/Canceled [keep in mind that some of these games did see a release in a more dumb-down state on the game pak for the Nintendo 64 or later consoles]

7th Legion
    Automobili Lamborghini Add-On
    Banjo-Kazooie 2 (released in game pak as Banjo-Tooie)
    Cabbage
    Communication Game (Online game by PostPet development team, japanese famous E-mail software.)
    Creator (later integrated into Mario Artist: Paint Studio)
    DD Sequencer
    Desert Island: No Man's Island
    Dezaemon 3D Expansion Kit
    Diablo
    Digital Horse Racing Newspaper
    Doubutsu Banchou (Animal Leader, released on Nintendo GameCube as Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest)
    Dragon Warrior VII (ported and released on the PlayStation instead)
    DT Blood Masters
    Famicom Classics Vol. 1
    Far East of Eden: Oriental Blue (cancelled, it became a Game Boy Advance title of the same name)
    Final Fantasy VII (development actually never started on Nintendo 64, was later released for the PlayStation)
    Fire Emblem 64 (scrapped, some elements of the plot was later used on the first Fire Emblem for Game Boy Advance, Fire Emblem: F?in no Tsurugi)
    Gendai Dai-Senryaku: Ultimate War
    Hiryu no Ken Stadium DD Real Version
    Hiryu no Ken Stadium DD SD Version
    Hybrid Heaven (released in game pak)
    Jungle Emperor Leo (Kimba the White Lion)
    Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (released in game pak and moved to Nintendo 64)
    Mario Artist: Game Maker
    Mario Artist: Graphical Message Maker
    Mario Artist: Sound Maker
    Mario Artist: Video Jockey Maker
    Mission: Impossible (released in cartridge)
    Mission: Impossible 64DD
    Morita Shogi 64 (released in cartridge)
    Mother 3 (EarthBound 64) (cancelled, it became a Game Boy Advance title of the same name)
    Mother 3.5 (EarthBound 64 Add-On)
    Ogre Battle Saga
    Pokémon 64/Pokémon RPG
    Pokémon Stadium (moved to Nintendo 64 game pak)
    Pokémon Stadium Expansion Disk
    Pokémon Stadium 2 (also moved to Nintendo 64 game pak)
    Project Cairo
    Quest 64 Add-On
    Resident Evil 0 (Release on Nintendo GameCube)
    Rev Limit
    Seaman (Release on Dreamcast)
    SimCopter 64
    SnowSpeeder (Released in game pak)
    Super Mario 64 2
    Super Mario RPG 2 (released in game pak as Mario Story in Japan and Paper Mario in the rest of the world)
    Suu
    Tank
    Teo
    Tonic Trouble Add-On
    Toukon Road: Brave Spirits Add-On
    Twelve Tales: Conker 64 (released in game pak as Conker's Bad Fur Day)
    Wall Street
    Ultra Donkey Kong (released in cartridge as Donkey Kong 64)
    Ura Zelda the expansion disk to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Yosuke Ide's Mahjong Juku
    Zelda 64 (released in game pak as The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
    Zelda Gaiden (later released in game pak as The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)

It really is sad to see these games either be flat out canceled or just moved to the Nintendo 64 in a more premature state considering the 64DD had boasted so much in its technically specifications. As I said in my previous thread about Zelda 64DD, the game would make use of the internal clock and would use the 64DD's technical aspects to its advantage which would have made it an entirely different game altogether instead of what we got with Ocarina of Time. Don't get me wrong, Ocarina of Time is still an amazing game but I have the feeling that Zelda 64DD could have been even better since it would make use of the ill-fated 64DD add-on.

What did the add-on look like?

[tn=300:72t8c4c3]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/64DD-Attached.png/250px-64DD-Attached.png[/tn:72t8c4c3]

So what is there to really say?
    There really isn't much to say about the 64DD aside from the fact that it seems to follow the same fate as the Virtual Boy. It definitely is an add-on for those looking to complete a Nintendo collection like myself. Since only so many were made, the 64DD is highly expensive and the games are no laughing matter at prices either since half of them are imported from Japan which means the shipping is highly inflated. Some of the games are good, but some of them are just awful. Doshin the Giant did see an English release on the Gamecube; however, it was only released in Europe and Japan. I did get the chance to play Doshin the Giant since I own it, and it really is a game that takes some time getting into if you can stand playing it for more than 15 minutes. Mario Artist never saw a release outside of Japan on any other console. The other games really never saw international releases on another console but certain elements from these games have reappeared in several different Nintendo releases. Definitely worth owning if you are collector, but if not... then I don't know, I'd probably steer clear unless you want to complete the Nintendo 64.[/spoiler:72t8c4c3][/center:72t8c4c3]

[center:72t8c4c3]Zelda 64DD/Ura Zelda
    The information is from an older thread that I did a write-up on previously!

[spoiler:72t8c4c3]We all know and potentially love the Nintendo 64 and up releases of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Did you know though that before the game was to be released on the Nintendo 64 that it was originally supposed to be released on the Nintendo 64DD which never saw a release outside of Japan? Well, this part is completely true because it was supposed to be an entirely different game from what early gameplay and images show us; just take a long look:

Just a few images from a pre-release that has shown its face in the form of a video/screenshot on the internet.

Before we continue on any further, what exactly is a beta quest? From Unseen64
    The Beta Quests are events and scenarios not seen in the game, but that can be reached with Action replay/Game Shark codes. There is an incredible number of variants in the beta quests, and probably no one has really seen them all, so we can only wonder if there is still more stuff left in the cartridge. Some of these Beta Quest scenes are situations connected with the new features that would have been in Zelda URA, while in others it’s still possible to see some of the items cut in the transposition from disk to cartridge, or particulary situations that were changed a bit in the final version. Certainly a precious source of information of beta Zelda.

As Linkx111 has pointed out, this particular mode simply removes the pointers that would connect an area on the game map to another one. Zelda’s game areas are indeed listed inside a buffer, which contains all the areas inside of blocks. Removing the pointers permits the player to travel randomly from a map to another, eventually landing inside particular blocks which has no pointers and contains traces of old beta items, or permitting to explore the cutscene like we would be normally playing in the game. Many of the items could look like betas but are indeed just a messed up version of the normal game, due to the missing pointers but other items and scenes, not included in the final game, can be accessed via this method.

Also thanks to ZethN64 for pointing this out recently. To correct the previous statment, the beta quest code loads up specific scenes within a map without the cutscene trigger event activated. These cutscenes load up different object sets(NPC and object placement within a map) depending on the last value you use on the beta quest code.(BETACODE 000X) These scenes also contain old exit data within the map that do not always point correctly to the right exit due to the game being compiled and exit table being shifted so many times. Developers saw no reason to fix these exits since they were meant for cutscenes only and the player wouldn’t walk through these exits. These scene’s objects sets however do contain during the time of their creation object placement, aka beta actor/object placement. It gives us a glimpse of what the prerelease/ura Zelda would of been like with these object set placements and how much it differs from the final game.
    Now, an interesting concept is that the Beta Quest can easily be accessed through the use of GameShark Pro codes that allow the player to access some of the beta content that was either cut or removed from the final retail release. Sometimes, NFR [Not For Resale) cartridges include some of these features but it is not really known if the NFR Cart for Ocarina of Time includes this. Another interesting thing is that the guys from Hard4Games have done 3 Beta Questin' videos that show some of the cut content or changed content:
    [youtube:72t8c4c3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdN0qtwX-H0&feature=plcp[/youtube:72t8c4c3]
    [youtube:72t8c4c3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6E7qB3tIPY&feature=plcp[/youtube:72t8c4c3]

Now, with the plans of a 64DD Zelda game and such concepts like
    The first 64-bit version of Zelda, was originally conceived as a way designed to use the features of 64DD. Internal Clock, rewritable discs with a size double what had ever been used on the cartridge, internet connection and tools for editing images, Zelda 64 was presented by Nintendo itself as a title so huge and puzzling that it would be impossible to implement the normal N64. Miyamoto and his team wanted to make a world of Hyrule persistent and completely adapted to the will of the player, any change that would have affected Link to the scene, would have been saved, every tree cut, destroyed every case, the imprints of the feet on the sand, all these and many other things still would have been remembered and would have changed the game environment for the duration of our adventure.
    All this because of the possibility of 64 Disc Drive. But there was only one small problem: the 64DD was not greeted with much interest from professionals, remembering the bad purpose made by all previous add-on for console, the DD was growing slowly postponed, Nintendo itself lost confidence in the project and it was not clear if it ever really left. At this point, Nintendo had no other choice, also because of low sales of the N64, announced that Zelda 64 was adapted to be able to go out on normal cartridges, so hoping to renew interest in the console market. But this change meant the voidment of all those interesting features that would have been possible thanks to 64DD and part of the game and history had to undergo an extream cut.
    From an interview with N-ZONE magazine (translated with google and reported by GoNintendo) we can read that Aonuma admits that Ocarina of Time originally had more temples and magic abilities that were cut.
    Eiji Aonuma: Yes, you may be absolutely right, although I can not remember exactly all the details. There really is a difference between the temples, which we wanted to integrate and those that exist in the final game. And that had something to do with magic. We thought of integrating some actions, some plot threads, and some puzzles that have something to do with magic abilities.
    We have come to the conclusion that other, already existing, just regular items to be a worthy replacement. So we had originally three temples, which would capture the young Link, three temples for the adult Link and three in which he was to learn each spell – but instead we have eliminated a temple of it. In the final game is now so 3 plus 3 plus 2, or 8 temples to find.
    Also, some more interesting info from the early beta / prototype version of Zelda 64 were shared in the Iwata Asks dedicated to the Ocarina of Time 3D remake:
    Iwata: Oh, he wanted to make an FPS (first-person shooter).
    Koizumi: Right. In the beginning, he had the image that you are at first walking around in first-person, and when an enemy appeared, the screen would switch, Link would appear, and the battle would unfold from a side perspective.
    [...]
    Iwawaki: But…I do think we tried out a first-person perspective a little.
    Osawa: I think we made something to try it out, but decided it wasn’t interesting visually and abandoned it right away.
    [...]
    Iwata: You were originally developing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the Nintendo 64DD.13
    Koizuma: Yes. Miyamoto-san said he had some ideas, like leaving behind all of Link’s footprints.
    Iwata: Yeah. (laughs)
    [...]
    Koizuma: That’s why he started saying that if Link was going to ride a horse, he wanted to include mounted archery and one-on-one battle. (laughs) We were able to include the mounted archery, but not the one-on-one battle.
    Iwata: But later you included it in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
    in this original game, there had to be an expansion much like the other Zelda games which saw Ura releases on both the Famicom Disk System and Super Famicom Satellaview as BS Zelda games which took the original game and basically made them into a second quest with the same character or a different character. Ura Zelda 64 or better known as Ocarina of Time Ura is considered to be once of the most mysterious add-ons to ever be conceived by Nintendo. Much like Super Mario 64 2, there were no screenshots ever released for the game; however, unlike the failed Super Mario 64 2, we got information to this game.
    Ura Zelda supposedly unlocked new mini-games, new sidequests, characters and shuffled around items to give Zelda players some new stuff to do in the familiar world of Hyrule.
    Shigeru Miyamoto told us shortly before the launch of Ocarina of Time, that “you first play the initial disk version of Zelda — after finishing everything, you can enter into the world, into the basic design of the same.
    It’s very much a parody game based on Ocarina of time, but with new dungeons to explore. It even features the same storyline.
    The title might support the GB Camera to create masks for Link. Miyamoto hinted of this possibility in a 64 Dream interview. If this does turn out to be true, gamers will be able to create their own masks in Talent Studio and implement them into Ura-Zelda.
    Ocarina Of Time was design with the introduction of the DD in mind, and if you load the game with the drive connected to your system, you will see a screen option, which says “Ura Zelda” another version of Zelda.
    There were several ideas I could not incorporate into Zelda because of the lack of time and various other factors. For example, I wanted to creat some extra dungeons for those who had completed the quest.
    The 64DD adventure is said to enable gamers to revisit areas and dungeons of Ocarina of Time and experience new adventures in familiar surroundings.
    Every change Link would make to his surroundings would stick. If you smashed a box, it would stay broken. If you dug a hole, it would remain there until you covered it. If you left footsteps in the sand, they would stay. All this was supposed to be made possible by the enhanced storage space of the 64DD.
    Miyamoto: “Whether or not we release it or not, we are still working on the game.”
    Ura-Zelda isn’t so much a new game as it is an expansion to an existing one: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (it is not compatible with Majora’s Mask).
    One of the few features that Nintendo told us about was the addition of new mask quests. Apart from the existing masks, Ura Zelda was to include many more — some of which were no doubt included in Majora’s Mask.
    August 25/2000: Speaking to the press in an open forum held yesterday in Tokyo, Japan, Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto casually commented that “Ura-Zelda” (aka: Legend of Zelda DD) has been completed for some time now.
    Ura Zelda could not be played without owning Ocarina of Time – and Nintendo was hoping one would help sell the other. After literally years of delays, Nintendo quietly dropped Ura Zelda from its release lists.
    Because the 64DD is unlikely to see an US release, Miyamoto also said the following. “We may have to have a special edition release (of Ura-Zelda) in the future.”
    A misconception that people seem to think is that the bonus disc for Wind Waker included the final release of Ura Zelda known as Master Quest. The game does in fact have one of the features that Ura Zelda would have which was remixed dungeons; however, there was so much more to Ura Zelda which makes it almost impossible for Master Quest to be Ura Zelda since it does not include the new items, weapons, enemies, locations, etc that Miyamoto had stated would be in the 64DD expansion. A cool little feature that seems to show up a lot is the fact that in earlier releases of the Ocarina of Time cartridge is that we do have partial access to Ura Zelda.

We have the DISK icon on the menu select screen which would be present after a player beat the "first quest" on the cartridge which would unlock Ura Zelda. If we go farther and look at debug access, we get two test maps that were used to test the hardware for the 64DD expansion. Granted these two rooms are inaccessible, but it's nice to see how far this game come to almost never ever being released or its unreleased expansion.[/spoiler:72t8c4c3][/center:72t8c4c3]

Latest Version of the Archive: v001 (February 5 Thread-Build)
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

Re: The Video Game Archive Project

I'm kind of confused, is this thread only for posting old games that were cancelled?

I really wanted to see Wizardry 9, it was devastating to hear that Sir-Tech went bankrupt. Imo, the original Wizardry series were the best CRPG's to really capture the feeling of the pen and paper RPG's.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclon
    I'm kind of confused, is this thread only for posting old games that were cancelled?

I really wanted to see Wizardry 9, it was devastating to hear that Sir-Tech went bankrupt. Imo, the original Wizardry series were the best CRPG's to really capture the feeling of the pen and paper RPG's.
    I originally only wanted to focus on older games but I will put up newer games and change up the rules when I am in the right mindset. I'm sick right now so I'm not going to change up the rules just yet. If you want to get information and send it over, I can do a write-up or if you want to, I can add it to the thread.

I don't really know "old" games.With old games do you mean old like who was cancelled a few years ago really old games?

Quote Originally Posted by Ado dragon
    I don't really know "old" games.With old games do you mean old like who was cancelled a few years ago really old games?
    Any are welcome, I primarily wanted to focus on just that but I found that most people aren't too interested in them so I'm changing the stipulations to any old games or canceled games albeit current or not.

oh well that's good.
    I heard of that game called metroid dread.
    It's supposed to be a canceled metroid game.but it might be just a rumor

Enthusiast
    An ancient ravine on an abandoned planet, tending to the daffodils

Oh yeah, do you guys remember Starcraft Ghost? D;<

[youtube:2uogx3x7]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVsTrLW_04U[/youtube:2uogx3x7]

I WAS SO EF,WJEFAL;EWFJPEWIFJ9 PUMPED FOR THIS GAME

Quote Originally Posted by Psyclon
    Oh yeah, do you guys remember Starcraft Ghost? D;<

[youtube:wkpo8pum]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVsTrLW_04U[/youtube:wkpo8pum]

I WAS SO EF,WJEFAL;EWFJPEWIFJ9 PUMPED FOR THIS GAME
    I've actually never heard of Starcraft Ghost but with the footage though, I can do a write up after a bit of research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ado dragon
    oh well that's good.
    I heard of that game called metroid dread.
    It's supposed to be a canceled metroid game.but it might be just a rumor
    It was actually in a 2005 issue of Game Informer and other Nintendo magazines so it was considered to be a real project. However, I think the game got canned completely since this would have been in the "awkward" phase for game developers working with the Nintendo DS. On the Metroid Wikia, they talk about it quite a bit and it might get a revival but for now though, canceled. Ironically enough, I've never heard of the game.

Anywho, Earthbound will be up in a bit, adding the finishing touches to the write up.