Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Collecting Tips 101

Okay, I think I should preface this thread by stating that this thread is not going to be for everyone. This thread is going to be for the people who are wanting to start up a collection of video games and have no idea where to start. This is all going to be community based as I would like other people to contribute to this thread by writing tips if they have any that they have used in the past or even in the present. Without further ado, I bring to you...

[center:2x49c3l4]Collecting Tips 101![/center:2x49c3l4]

So viewers, you are looking to start collecting video games as a hobby and a potential addiction? Look no further because this thread is chock-packed with items such as terminology, guides, etc. that every beginner should potentially follow if they are looking to fulfill their goals albeit size of said goals. This is also a chance for other collectors to get a chance to write their own tips and ask questions about collecting, so this is going to be strictly community based. Below is a table of contents which you can use to easily navigate this thread if you so wish, I would take advantage of it as it would make things go more smooth since each writer will get their own section.

[center:2x49c3l4]Tables of Contents
    Use Ctrl + F to easily search the table of contents

Faded's Tips

Introduction
    1. Terminology and Understanding What is What
    2. Bringing Out the Inner Child in You (Memories)
    3. Picking Your First Console
    4. Importing

More to be added![/center:2x49c3l4]

[center:2x49c3l4]-----[/center:2x49c3l4]

Introduction
    For starters, my name is Faded and I have been collecting Nintendo related products for the past 5 years. In the short 5 years that I have been collecting, I have come across things both good and bad that I have learned to use to my advantage. I own practically every Nintendo console that was released in America from the 1980s to now excluding the handhelds and the Wii U (Wii U for obvious reasons aka pricing). In writing these tips, I hope to get some of you guys interested in collecting because it can be a fun endeavor for even people who don't play video games as often as others.

1. 1. Terminology and Understanding What is What
    In the time that I have been collecting, I've learned to use 3 terms together when I search on the internet for new additions to the collection that I feel everyone else should start using when starting off from square 1. These 3 terms are: NIB, CIB, and Loose. In this collecting tip, I will be showing you guys how to differentiate between the 3 and show you examples from my collection or from an online shop so everyone gets the right idea.

CIB stands for Complete-in-Box. This one is the most common of the 3 and should make the most sense; however, it can also be the most confusing comparing it to NIB as they share similar attributes. Complete-in-Box does include all the leaflets that were packaged with the game; however, it is not brand new or sealed. Sealed basically means that the original packaging has not been tampered with from when it left the shelf at a video store or retail store. Sealed games are much more difficult to come across if you don't know where to look and can usually be outrageous in price.

For reference, click this link: CIB Example

Notice how in that picture that everyone was in the box but it wasn't shrink-wrapped? This is what we call a CIB game.

NIB stands for New-in-Box. These are the more pricey games albeit their rarity as they are still factory sealed and contain all the attributes for CIB games. They look great on shelves but I wouldn't stick too much on NIB games unless you want shrink-wrapped copies of everything!

Loose is as it sounds. This means that the game is loose and may not contain anything except the cartridge. Some people do sell/trade loose games that do have boxes to them, but all of the documentation has either been thrown away or lost/not included. This is the most common and is usually the cheapest as long as you don't stray into the realms of the Nintendo World Championships Gold Cart or Earthbound where the games cost an arm and a leg to own. I loosely collect these kinds of games to say I have the cartridge but CIB is what most people should strive to get. It just looks a lot better on a shelving unit.

2. Bringing Out the Inner Child in You (Memories)
    Now, if you were born in the 90s like me, you should remember the slew of wonderful games that came out during that era of gaming. Personally, I grew up on the Super Nintendo which I still own in working condition from when I was kid; however, that's not what this tip is about. This tip is about trying to remember the games of the past that you personally have played but you just can't seem to remember the name of the game.

I will give you guys an example, when I was roughly 6 years old, I remember playing a game over at a neighbor's house that had gameplay similar to Super Mario Bros but yet had a character that had special powerups. I couldn't remember the title for the longest time until a user I'm subscribed to on YouTube started a Let's Play of the game. This is what I like to call bringing out the inner child in you. This comes in handy for collecting because it is a great place to start looking if you want to get serious about it. Knowing that you've played a game and knowing that you are going to want to eventually play the games that you buy and add to your collection, it's always nice to know that you have games that you remember playing as a child which adds nostalgia value and remembering how good or how fun it was. Be weary though, I remember also playing Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island and the prices went up on said game. This is usually a cheap method to picking up games; however, if you remember playing a game like Earthbound on the Super Nintendo, you are going to be paying upwards to $200USD for a loose copy due to its rarity. When taking buying games from your childhood into consideration, look into its rarity value by asking other collectors or looking online. I say this because sometimes if a game costs too much, you should just push it to the side until you have a well-established collection and the funds to do so.

Picking Your First Console
    My collection did not start over night, it took several years and money that could have been used to buy other things at things. This collection all stemmed from one console, my CIB Nintendo 64. When it comes to choosing your first console, you should ask yourself the following questions:

• How much is this going to cost?
      Where do I want to start with?
      What franchise do I want to collect? Nintendo? Sony? Sega?
      Which is going to be the easiest to collect for?
      Are there any add-ons to the console that I should think of collecting if I get this?
      Should I start in chronological order with the systems?

I will be giving you my input on each of these questions as each collector has to answer these at some point and time.

How much is this going to cost?
    In my experience, most consoles I buy are loose to reduce the overall cost of the product. I do own a few CIB consoles; however, is it really on my top priorities list?

Where do I want to start with?
    It is honestly a good idea to start with the older stuff first. If you start collecting Nintendo products tomorrow for the Nintendo Wii, you will be wasting a lot of money as opposed to starting off with the Nintendo Entertainment System. It all stems to comparing prices as the older stuff usually has a larger library of cheap games that you could even buy CIB/NIB for only a few dollars if you know where to look.

What franchise do I want to collect? Nintendo? Sony? Sega?
    Pick what you want but I look at it this way. I collect Nintendo products because I love Nintendo. I grew up with Nintendo so I factor in the nostalgia that I will be getting out of each console since I've more than likely played it or watched videos on it through Nintendo Power VHS tapes.

Which is going to be the easiest to collect for?
    Again, this goes back to where you want to start with. I find it easier and more affordable to start with NES because it's the oldest home console that Nintendo released in America aside from the Game and Watch add-ons and import Pong consoles. Collecting for the Nintendo Wii might be easy to do but it is very expensive as the games are still being roughly sold at retail price on most online shops/brick and mortar shops.

Should I start in chronological order with the systems?
    Honestly, yes unless you can get deals on a newer console that you can add to your collection in the long run.

Are there any add-ons to the console that I should think of collecting if I get this?
    Hypo brought this up in his help topic, and my answer is yes. If you are importing a console, you are going to need extra power add-ons like socket adapters and power strips to dedicate to imports only. Electricity currents differ from country to country and if you leave it plugged it without shutting off the source of power, you can fry the power cable thus making you buy a new one. As for console add-ons, if you are looking for a complete collection, you will want to do this as 1st party and 3rd party add-ons usually enhance the overall experience of playing a game in your collection

This could also fit in with the Bringing Out Your Inner Child tip as nostalgia can play a leading factor in your decision; however, I would say get what you want to get. It's your collection and you should build it up anyway that you want to

Importing
    Now, if you are a collector like myself, you want to make your collection complete; however, what does it mean to import and why should it matter to a collector? I look at myself as a completionist when it comes to my collection, I want to get the things like consoles and games that necessarily didn't see the light of day in the United States, but saw daylight in Japan. Here's a list of why I import:

• It's a great learning tool for those who want to learn a different language.
      Most imported games have uncut content that is usually looked down upon in the United States [eg. A Link to the Past is called Kamigami no Triforce or Triforce of the Gods]
      Most Nintendo add-ons never see an English release of any kind [eg. 64DD]
      Increases your library of games significantly seeing as most import games do see an English release; however, the minority of them do not.
      Video-games in Japan get re-released for added technological content [eg. Super Mario 64: Shindou]

Now, to answer a question that I know will be asked heavily: yes, importing can get expensive. Why you might ask? Well, importing older games and consoles can get pricy simply due to the fact shipping and handling is not cheap. You could spend $5USD on a game that is unboxed that is coming from Japan, and you'd be easily still spending almost $30USD for said game simply due to the fact that the shipping costs are not cheap when it comes to importing anything. Plus, the games that might be considered common in the United States or Europe might be more pricy to import from Japan because they could be considered more rare than their localized counterparts. It's all really opinionated because it seems to stem back to the age old "Supply and Demand" methodology.

Well, I've imported my first console... now what do I do?
    I'm so glad you asked because this is the age old mistake that most collectors seem to forget about when it comes to importing anything. Video games that were designed in the Japanese television format (for the sake of this, we will say NTSC-J as it is known on the Wii) will not play on consoles with the NTSC-U format. The same is applied to PAL and so on. Don't ask me why this is because it even baffles me but the only way to fix this is to really either mod the console's region lockout or purchase a native console for that specific game. Now that you've gotten your first console however, there is another error that people seem to forget: inputs. When you import anything, do not plug it up to the same power-strip that you use for your TV; instead, dedicate a power-strip to the imports so when they are not in use, they can be switched off. I say this because electricity currents are a hell of a lot different from country to country and if you use a console power-supply that is meant for an underpowered current compared to one where the voltage is higher, you will risk burning the cable and the components of the console out more easily. It might not seem like a lot but when you have to keep buying power-supplies and even replacing the console, it does add up and can easily burn a hole in your wallet!

If you would like to submit tips or would like to ask questions, feel free!
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Re: Collecting Tips 101

You seem to know your shit. Like if you had a blog, I would totally subscribe to your rss feed.

Nice thread btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilio
    You seem to know your shit. Like if you had a blog, I would totally subscribe to your rss feed.

Nice thread btw.
    Thanks man, I take pride in what I do on the side. I would start a blog if I knew how to properly set one up, maybe you could give me a few tips or something .

You can use tumblr or wordpress etc. I could set up one for you, with a theme and everything..

Nice post btw. I've been meaning to start some sort of collection and I think i'd start with older generation consoles and games, so this will definitely help.

I'd definitely follow you if you had a blog, everything you post has brilliant quality and thought put into it.

bookmark'd*
    See You Space Honkboy...

Quote Originally Posted by *Shift
    You can use tumblr or wordpress etc. I could set up one for you, with a theme and everything..

Nice post btw. I've been meaning to start some sort of collection and I think i'd start with older generation consoles and games, so this will definitely help.

I'd definitely follow you if you had a blog, everything you post has brilliant quality and thought put into it.

bookmark'd*
    That would be lovely man! And thank you very much!

I'll have more tips added tonight when I get around to hopping on the MacBook as I have everything archived on there.

Update on the first post with a new tip about importing. Sorry if it doesn't make any sense but I wanted to work on an importing tip seeing as importing consoles and games can be really beneficial to any collector if they want to be complete.