Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Dedicated Member

Best Small Heatsink?

My heatsink for my processor is definitely on the fritz, processors are running far too hot most of the time, so I'm wanting to get a new one. Can anyone suggest a good, small heatsink?

My specs are
    Intel i5 3570K @max 4 GHz,, 1155 Socket,
    Nvidia 560Ti
    8GB RAM

My case is pretty small, I'm not sure what will fit, it's a Cooler Master Elite 310, and this is the cooling I have already, it's just not good enough.

So a relatively small and powerful heatsink is what I need, and I'm looking for suggestions. Anything under 100 would be grand, cheers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadda
    Quote Originally Posted by Zesty
    How come the Enderman looks so much creepier in this screen-shot
    than in the actual game? Seriously...
    Because he's a nigger

Banned

Re: Best Small Heatsink?

Depends. Have you tried installing CoreTemp to check the temperature your CPU operates at? If it's under 65 Celsius (or 149 Fahrenheit) you shouldn't bother getting a new heatsink.
    However, if the temperature goes over that, you might want to go for a new one.
    If you're the extreme type of gamer, then get a Noctua NH-D14 for around 65.
    If you're the average PC user, why not buy an ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro for 17?
    You can see the price difference yourself indeed. You mentioned anything that's under 100, so I gave you 2 examples. Hope you'll find this useful.

Dedicated Member

Under load my cores get to over 70 degrees, sometimes 80 or 85. It also has a ridiculously loud fan that doesn't seem to calm down even if I meticulously clean the fan and heatsink of dust.

I was interested in the NH-D14 but I think it's just too big to fit in my case. I'll look into the Freezer 7 though, thanks for the info.
    Because he's a nigger

Banned

Oh, forgot to ask: what type of thermal paste are you using by the way? I believe it must be silver or silicone-based, but if not, invest into it as well. A good thermal paste can make the difference between normal heat and overheating.

Dedicated Member

I'm using Arctic MX-4 paste. From what I've read on Amazon it is a good one to use.
    Because he's a nigger

Tychus Findlay

I'm actually having heating issues with my Graphics card. Sometimes while gaming it will hit 105 Celcius which is aweful. I'm afraid it might overheat and fry on me one of these days.

If you have a laptop, you could try cutting the plastic on the back of the laptop that covers the processor and instead get like a mesh wiring to cover the hole you cut so hair and shit doesn't get into your processor. Something like this. I was actually planning on doing this with my graphics card, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Also if you have a desktop, make sure your casing is on the tower. People take it off thinking that the open space will help cool the inside, but really it makes it easier to overheat since there is no airflow and the heat just sits where it was radiated out. Usually cases are specially designed to cause an air flow current that goes in and out of the case. This might not apply to you, but I thought I would just give you a little advice on that.

Otherwise I'm not that computer savy when it comes to heatsinks. From what I know it's possible to put liquid cooling inside of laptops, but is there any other way you might know of? Sorry I'm asking a question in your thread, I'm just curious myself because this heating issue I'm having with my graphics card is beginning to get out of hand. I have a nVidia Geforce GTX 260m (Click the name for the specs). I've read that it's pretty heat intensive, but I could have read wrong.