Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mechanical Keyboards

Hey guys, I'm looking into buying a mechanical keyboard, I figured I'd make a thread here and let anyone recommend any, discuss theirs or help me out regarding what I'm looking for.

Ideally I'd like
    -Cherry MX Brown switches
    -6 Key USB rollover
    -Full size keyboard

Some I've considered due to their low cost; #1, #2

I'm hoping to not spend too much money but then again I'd like one that's gonna last, and if it's worth the full 100 that most good mechanical keyboards cost, then I'm prepared to shell out the money.

Also anyone with any mechanical keyboards, I'd love it if you could describe the feel of the switches you've got in your own words, I'm still not quite decided if I want Browns, Reds or Blues.
    [center:1dyohg2y]I miss everyone. [/center:1dyohg2y]

Re: Mechanic al Keyboards

Well can't really give you advice on what to buy, but I'm using a steelseries meka g1 with black switches, they're considered best for gaymen, because they're linear and have no tactile feedback, like blues for instance, they trigger at 50% of the way, so you don't have to bottom them out, takes some time to get used to though. Also no real audio feedback except the noise you make when typing. I'm pretty happy but again, it's my first mechanical keyboard so I can't give you anything on other switches.

For the feeling: It feels, different to rubberdome, definately hard to put that in words, just imagine your typing on springs that are pretty easy to push down. You will have a lot of typos at first too, because it's much easier to hit the wrong key when you're flying over your keyboard.

Any reason why you want to settle on MX browns, or better: What exactly do you want when you're typing?
    スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::

スリップノット「I A M N O T H A P P I E R T H A N Y O U」::

Re: Mechanical Keyboards

Thanks for the info on the blacks. And I'm not quite sure, I'm looking for just a comfy typing experience but more importantly I'm looking for something that'll be comfy, I don't want to have squidgy bouncy keys nor do I want to have to force the keys into the keyboard in order to type, I'm okay with the click being there if they key presses come naturally rather than having to be forced.

I guess one thing I don't like is how my fingers ache after using my membrane keyboard just after typing up this post, so a nice comfy mechanical that would also work there would be cool.

Sorry, I'm not too good at accurately expressing what I'm looking for.

The one I'm using is pretty fucking comfy actually, tho it takes the most 'force' of all switches to press them but it's all good since you don't have to bottom them out. Switches are a pretty delicate topic, maybe try to look for keyboards in electronic shops to test type different switches, you can almost always test type the e.G. razer blackwidow (blues) at your local electronics-partner, if they sell it of course.

Browns are said to be pretty allroundish, so if you can't decide, you can't really go wrong with browns.
    スチーム::アニメ::ミュージック::

スリップノット「I A M N O T H A P P I E R T H A N Y O U」::

Unfortunately I've got no idea of anywhere in the UK that would sell mechanical keyboards due to the really small gaming PC scene here, most tech shops are aimed at casual consumers.

I'm currently looking for anywhere that could sell a Das Keyboard with a UK layout that won't cost me mountains more than it's worth.

But my alternative would be a Zowie Celeritas, though I'm not sure if it's worth the investment as I don't play RTS games. D:

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol
    Unfortunately I've got no idea of anywhere in the UK that would sell mechanical keyboards due to the really small gaming PC scene here, most tech shops are aimed at casual consumers.

I'm currently looking for anywhere that could sell a Das Keyboard with a UK layout that won't cost me mountains more than it's worth.

But my alternative would be a Zowie Celeritas, though I'm not sure if it's worth the investment as I don't play RTS games. D:
    I suggest to check again, mechanical keyboards have pretty much become a common thing. I know that I bought mine at Ebay.

Your next solution is shopping online.

Cherry Blues here. They're fucking awesome! Really loud though, do not recommend if you're living with people in the same floor.

Das Keyboard is really nice, but expensive. I have a backlit Rosewill (which is a lot better than it looks).
    http://www.overclock.net/t/491752/mecha ... oard-guide

When I saw your post I thought of this

http://www.usbtypewriter.com/

Van

http://ttesports.com/products/product.aspx?p=33&g=ftr
    i have this one, it has plunger keys and feels great to type on, very responsive and has anti ghosting.

also has INTERCHANGEABLE KEYS... RED ONES.. man i've always wanted those

Thanks for the input guys, I think I'm just gonna spend a little extra and stay safe with either a Ducky or Das.

Or maybe even a typewriter, though I can't guarantee any comfort when gaming or typing, I can guarantee 200% swag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast