Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Tychus Findlay

Question about my laptop

Ever since I got my laptop I've been having heating issues, mainly with just the graphics card. I think its because I have a decently powered graphics card inside a crammed area since it's a laptop. I tried removing the old thermal compound that was on it and added some new thermal compound and it helped reduce the temperature like 3 degrees Celsius which isn't really a big difference. The max temperature my graphics card usually hits before throttling is around 105 degrees Celsius and that's usually while running a really graphic intensive game like World of Warcraft, Starcraft, Left 4 Dead 2, etc.

Although recently I cut a hole in the bottom of my laptop where the fan takes in air to blow the excess heat out through the vent of my computer. I know it's not good to expose the internal parts because hair and dust and stuff can get inside of the laptop easier now, but I put a mesh wiring over top of the hole and I was just wondering if that would be enough to keep all the hair and dust out. Really I just want to know if cutting a hole in the bottom of a laptop can harm it more in the long run. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Here is a picture of the bottom of my laptop (not mine specifically, just my "TYPE" of laptop) The part with the mesh wiring used to be solid plastic (or at least it was on mine) and I couldn't figure out how to add the mesh wiring like it is in the picture, so I literally cut out the plastic and added a few holes around the circle so I could hold the mesh wiring down with small zipties. Also, the plastic that was cut out exposing the copper/gold vents is not cut out on my computer. Just the part with the circle/mesh wiring.
    [spoiler:3mevduvy][/spoiler:3mevduvy]

Re: Question about my laptop

Cooling stand. That is what I used when I had a laptop that I used heaps.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

Veteran Enthusiast

or

I used one of these for my laptop.

If it's getting that hot when not doing anything, something's malfunctioning in there. It's not going to do that just because it's a laptop, they wouldn't sell it otherwise. Go get it checked out somewhere before you fry something in there or ruin the graphics chip/cpu. I had an old laptop that did this and it completely ruined it.

If it's doing this when using intensive programs, either take breaks or if it's game, make sure you lower the settings. If you're running programs the laptop's not fit to run, you could be damaging it. Just be careful on how hard you push your machine.
    See You Space Honkboy...

Tychus Findlay

Quote Originally Posted by *Shift
    If it's getting that hot when not doing anything, something's malfunctioning in there. It's not going to do that just because it's a laptop, they wouldn't sell it otherwise. Go get it checked out somewhere before you fry something in there or ruin the graphics chip/cpu. I had an old laptop that did this and it completely ruined it.

If it's doing this when using intensive programs, either take breaks or if it's game, make sure you lower the settings. If you're running programs the laptop's not fit to run, you could be damaging it. Just be careful on how hard you push your machine.
    Yea I was afraid I was actually damaging the GPU because it was running so hot, but that's why the graphics card throttles when it hits 105 degrees celcius. Instead of getting hotter, it actually slows the computer down a little so the graphics card doesn't fry. It used to hit that temp all the time, and I used to run games near that temp for quite awhile. I've had the laptop for 2 years and it's ran hot almost the entire time I've had it. Maybe it's a little hotter now than it used to be when it was brand new, but it hasn't changed that much. I was just reading online that my type of laptop generally has heating issues and some people even cut the blue wire that leads to the fan so when the temp drops below (i believe 70 degrees celcius) the fan doesn't shut off. I didn't do this though because my temp is usually above 70 degrees celcius anyways.

I play World of Warcraft every once in awhile and before I cut the hole in the bottom of my laptop I was getting 100-105 degrees celcius on low settings in a LFR. Now that I cut the hole out, I can run the game on medium settings and I only hit 90 degrees celcius in LFR. Which is a huge difference in my opinion, but I also know my graphics card is powerful enough to run wow on high settings if it wasn't for this heating issue.

@Blot and Luke: I actually have a cooling pad that my laptop sits on top of (which is why I think cutting the hole in the bottom helped so much) and a fan on the side of my computer where the vent is, pointing in the direction of air flow so the heat doesn't just bottle up near the vent.

Here's a screenshot of my HWMonitor. All I have open right now is 3 tabs in Mozilla Firefox, one playing music, and pivot. So it's not like I'm running a shit ton of programs, especially since I blocked most of them from running on the computers startup. Everything else runs at perfect temps so I'm not sure if it's just because of my GPU's power or what.

http://i.wtfteam.net/u/f/1368431429.png

I would honestly just recommend taking a can of compressed air and just blowing out any of that debris that you said might be getting into your laptop. I've found that when I was using the MacBook, anything that was related to Flash would cause my computer to overheat and go nuts because the operating temperature was greatly exceeded by about 20-30 degrees. As you were saying, it might be GPU related which is why I wanted to ask exactly how much room was in your laptop's casing after you installed it which can never a good thing. As for the mesh wiring, it might help a bit with hair and dust but there is no guarantee that it is going to work because dust particles can get past that wiring rather easily if enough accumulates on it. You might not see it at first but when your cooling fan kicks in and starts to go into "overheat" mode, that'll be one of the causes.

All in all, I'd say take a can of compressed air to your laptop to be on the safe side and find a reliable cooling pad. I had a Targus Cooling Pad for a good while when I had my Dell laptop and it kept my laptop running rather cool even when I was doing more intensive things with it like video editing.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.