Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nintendo and YouTube Copyright

This thread might not be of any relevance to some people; however, for those who do Let's Plays (like myself), this is important for you to read.

From ScreenCrush:
    The YouTube Letís Play community will no longer be able to monetize videos featuring Nintendo content any more. The publisher has filed Content ID matches with YouTube so all revenue generated by these unofficial videos will go directly to Nintendo.

YouTube is filled with hundreds of videos generated by a never-ending community of game aficionados known as Letís Players. The videos are gameplay-centric affairs, with most featuring added commentary about the level, characters, or game in general. Some Letís Play creators have been able to make a career out of playing games online for others to watch. However, thatís money Nintendo believes belongs in its hands.

According to Game Front, Nintendo has now staked a claim to any and all videos using its games. The first reported instance of this issue came from Letís Player Zack Scott, who posted a notification on his Facebook about how he will no longer play Nintendo games due to the publisherís Content Matching. Violating copyright several times could potentially lead to the account being suspended on YouTube, which would cut into an LPerís income tremendously.

For its part, Nintendo doesnít think itís doing anything wrong, and that in no way, shape, or form should others be profiting from the Nintendo catalog. The company issued a statement to Game Front indicating Nintendo wonít block the content, but it certainly will take all the money generated by the video.

As part of our on-going push to ensure Nintendo content is shared across social media channels in an appropriate and safe way, we became a YouTube partner and as such in February 2013 we registered our copyright content in the YouTube database. For most fan videos this will not result in any changes, however, for those videos featuring Nintendo-owned content, such as images or audio of a certain length, adverts will now appear at the beginning, next to or at the end of the clips. We continually want our fans to enjoy sharing Nintendo content on YouTube, and that is why, unlike other entertainment companies, we have chosen not to block people using our intellectual property.

Itís certainly a head-scratching move by Nintendo, which could effectively lead to a severe lack of Nintendo game footage on YouTube. If no one wants to play the games for fear of not making any money while investing time to play, capture, edit, and post hours and hours of footage, Nintendo might not have to worry about seeking out its copyrighted material.

What do you think of Nintendoís move? Is this a publisher going too far, or is the company completely in the right?
    Video games are an interactive experience meaning it is not static unlike movies and music which could fall under piracy and touch the grey areas of fair use. Do you feel like Nintendo is doing the right thing with using the content-ID system and basically eliminating their free advertisement with popular LPers like Chuggaaconroy, JoshJepson, and others?
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Veteran Enthusiast

Re: Nintendo and YouTube Copyright

This is really disappointing from Nintendo. In my eyes, LP's are completely original content, offering a new look into games, rather than the normal trailer or non-commentated walkthroughs.

Fly
    Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Stark
    This is really disappointing from Nintendo. In my eyes, LP's are completely original content, offering a new look into games, rather than the normal trailer or non-commentated walkthroughs.
    I agree completely. The game is all how you take it in, everyone has a different experience, and no two people play it the same way. Especially for games with online. Which in movies everybody is seeing the same thing, but not necessarily feeling the same.

This is Unfortunate. I was just making a YouTube account for me and a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly
    Quote Originally Posted by Stark
    I agree completely. The game is all how you take it in, everyone has a different experience, and no two people play it the same way. Especially for games with online. Which in movies everybody is seeing the same thing, but not necessarily feeling the same.

This is Unfortunate. I was just making a YouTube account for me and a friend.
    From what I see, if you're making videos for only you and your friend then this isn't really concerning you.
    Nintendo is mostly targeting those making a revenue out of it.

Not too sure what to think about this. it's true that, in a way, their games are in a way used to make profit for others. Ok, a lot of the let's play characteristic comes from the host himself interacting with the game, but you're still watching game footages in the end. Nintendo probably took it as it: "Using someone's else creation to make profit."

From this perspective I can't really say they are wrong, they do have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilio
    From this perspective I can't really say they are wrong, they do have a point.
    I called Saul and he has a point, guys.

Still a bit gay, but Frankieonpcin1080p is the reason I won't be buying Metro for example; why buy when I can just watch what happens?

Fly
    Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Slashed
    why buy when I can just watch what happens?
    But for me, I watch a few let's plays to decide if I'm on the borderline of buying the game, or not. And I know a lot of people that do the same.

It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

I watched Totalbuiscuit's take on the matter and I pretty much agree with what he said. Nintendo's fucking themselves. People like Chuggaconroy who pretty much ONLY play nintendo games to share the experience because they're so passionate about these games, and nintendo's basically tossing them aside. I don't think nintendo is doing this to specifically fuck people, I think they just don't understand how these actions will resonate. If they are though, they've fucked themselves. this will either: start a trend, woefully fucking LPers (which totally isn't cool), and/or will just have people stop playing nintendo games as LPs. Like it or not, this is a thing people do, and limiting what people will feasibly LP it's gonna hurt how people look at you as a company and the gaming scene period.

Hell, it's not like I was gonna buy a nintendo console to play those games anyways. Besides, I usually don't watch LPs of games I plan to play. Watching Lps of Bioshock Infinite made me go out and play it myself (at a friends') and while I don't really think the game is anywhere near as amazing as people made it out to be, I guess it didn't hurt to play it. Good luck still getting a hold of some of these games legally btw. Earthbound? Mother 3? Grim Fandango? Good luck getting decently in shape copies of those for cheap (unless something's changed in the market idk), especially on something you have no idea if you'll like. LPers are something we need in the gaming scene, especially good quality ones.
    Stripes would be good camouflage, if tigers weren't bright orange.
    The turtle is one part fortress, one part... mobile home.
    I love honey, but bees..
    emanating fire really cuts down on cozy nest options.

P2k

There is nothing wrong with this.

They aren't taking the videos down, they are just stopping people from monetizing off of content they didn't wholly create.

These people can make all of the Nintendo let's plays they want - but of course they won't since they aren't going to be making money sitting on their asses and playing video games anymore.

;_;
    -

Quote Originally Posted by P2k

They aren't taking the videos down, they are just stopping people from monetizing off of content they didn't wholly create.

These people can make all of the Nintendo let's plays they want - but of course they won't since they aren't going to be making money sitting on their asses and playing video games anymore.

;_;
    I like the way you think.

Quote Originally Posted by P2k

;_;

Why do it though? They are basically advertising your game and you don't have to pay them. Nintendo are just being greedy and can't stand the thought of someone making money off their product even if it's beneficial to them.

In the end it hurts Nintendo and the people making the videos, there's nothing good that comes out of it(besides a bit of pocket change for Nintendo at the expense of massive advertising). Why does an extremely wealthy company need to take away the minor source of income these average people make from "Let's play" videos? If I was one of the people making a little bit of money off lets play videos and Nintendo came in and directed all my profits to themselves i'd just retire my youtube account and move on to something else out of spite.
    Slubberdegullion = Pivotelite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast