Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Unhappy Creepy undertones in games (Majora's Mask)

Recently I began a new Majora's Mask save file after a good ten years. I originally had it for the N64 but I bought the Zelda Collector's Edition with my GC console back in around 2002. Either way I only beat it when I was seven. I thought it was a semi-scary game but nothing more. But as I'm playing through this now I can't help but feel depressed at looking everyone waiting to die. I mean the Deku Mask is like the remains of a dead creature (Goron and Zora's too) And the Romani Ranch and Kaefi/Anju Quest just bum me out. My point is, was there ever a game that was dark that you once played when you were younger that you didn't realize until recently?

Quote Originally Posted by ExplosiveCake View Post
    Recently I began a new Majora's Mask save file after a good ten years. I originally had it for the N64 but I bought the Zelda Collector's Edition with my GC console back in around 2002. Either way I only beat it when I was seven. I thought it was a semi-scary game but nothing more. But as I'm playing through this now I can't help but feel depressed at looking everyone waiting to die. I mean the Deku Mask is like the remains of a dead creature (Goron and Zora's too) And the Romani Ranch and Kaefi/Anju Quest just bum me out. My point is, was there ever a game that was dark that you once played when you were younger that you didn't realize until recently?
    Majora's Mask is probably one of the darkest games next to Link's Awakening in the Zelda series that I've played. You are probably wondering why Link's Awakening and not something like Twilight Princess; however, let me explain. Link's Awakening takes place on Koholint Island, where the Wind Fish resides on the top of the mountain in what seems to be an eternal slumber. All of the Nintendo references aside, once you get far enough into the game, you are warned that if you wake the Wind Fish, the island will vanish and everyone that "lives" on the island will disappear into nothingness like it never existed. Right there is depressing because as the main character, you are faced with a conflict that could hinder your progress on your quest to wake the Wind Fish from his own nightmares. Nintendo has always been known to throw some depressing themes in their games for the sake of storyline progression or what have you and that's one of the main reasons I love the company and their franchises.

On the topic of Majora's Mask though, I think that this is their darkest game to date in the series. There are so many mysteries that are hidden in the shadows with the title from the simple idea of masks to even just the land's name: Termina. I'd recommend giving this a read, it is quite long but there are so many things that make this game one of the best in the series:

The Message of Majora’s Mask - Zelda Universe
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Nintendo's really good at this kind of stuff, it's their way of attracting geeks who like to theorycraft and kids who just like to play a game at the same time. Wouldn't say anything does it better than Majora's mask.

Uh, hi. I do stuff.