Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Veteran Enthusiast

I suck. Need Help.

So I'm thinking of upgrading, so I went to PC parts picker rah rah rah and chose some stuff. Now I really have zero idea of some of the stuff (cooling, cases, sound cards, optical drives etc.) but I know a little about CPU and graphics cards. Here is what I have so far:
    UPDATED:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16W7E

So I need help choosing video card, motherboard, case, and power supply. I'm fairly happy with everything else. I don't need a keyboard or a monitor, I have them already.

I kind of want to keep it between $1,000 and $1,600 AUD. So if you all could help me out, that'd be great
    Last edited by Stark; 16 Jun 2013 at 08:30 AM.

OK so I can spot some stuff:

1) I assume that this is mostly a gaming PC, and I assume you're not working as a game developer aswell (or some shit along those lines). That being said, 16gb of RAM is simply too much, you should stick with 8gb.

2)Make sure that the graphic card actually fits in the case. I recently bought a new graphic card and those things are seriously huge. It barely fit in my case. Had been a tad smaller, I wouldn't been able to place it.

3)If I have the chance, I would buy keyboards/mouse accessories directly from stores so I could try them

4)Do not overlook the importance of your power supply. To me, it looks like you deliberately went for a cheap brand just to save money. If you're going to build a high-end pc, you need to have a quality power supply. With the current power supply you're aiming for and the specs that this computer will have, I guarantee that you will have problems. My suggestion: stick with brands that are genuinely renowned to be good.

5)If you have no plan to buy speakers and go full 7.1 surround sound, I doubt a soundcard is actually needed. I use my motherboard intergrated soundcard because all I have is a headset, and it's perfectly fine that way.

6)you could go for a blu-ray drive as they're getting rather cheap. It's great if you want to watch a blu-ray film directly on your computer.

7)I recommend two hard drives instead of one big one. That way, if one crashes, the other can keep a backup.

Veteran Enthusiast

Thanks Wilio! Yeah a gaming pc.
    8gb is probably better then, I'll definitely change that up.
    I'm not very good with sizes and such and the cases, perhaps you could recommend something?
    I already have a good mouse, I probably will just use an old keyboard I have at home, so yeah, I'll take that off.
    I have no idea with power supply, so if you could recommend one, that'd be great.
    I have headphones so no need for speakers.
    Yeah I may go with that, though I don't really use my CD drive as it is, I mean, I don't watch DVD's on my computer.
    I have two external harddrives, both 1tb each, would that suffice?

I updated the link, if I could get some help that'd be awesome. Thanks.

New link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/16W7E
    Last edited by Stark; 16 Jun 2013 at 08:30 AM.