Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Faded

Thread: GBA cartridge problem.

DD addict

GBA cartridge problem.

So this is my GBA

It seems old but it's working decently.

Except for this cartridge wich I bought it used since thy don't sell new one anymore.
    The problem is whenever I save my progress and turn the console off, the progress gets deleted.
    I searched for a solution and found a logical one that tells me to change the battery inside. But isn't there an alternative solution?

ℋope
    Have you tried blowing in the game slot yet?

I had this with Pokťmon Silver (or Crystal), sadly I cannot help you, but I'm pretty sure it's actually the battery. I'm hoping you'll find a better solution, but I highly doubt it. Old GBA games are generally built to go on for about 10-15 years, before dying, especially when stored under non-ideal circumstances.

Your best bet would be to just search on the internet and pick up a new copy or a battery.

The reason your progress is getting deleted is due to the internal battery in the game cartridge going bad and dying. I've personally never had it happen to me but it is quite an annoyance to play so much into the game and shut it off to only have your progress deleted. Changing the battery isn't that difficult but does require a special bit called a Game Bit or even just a tri-wing screwdriver to remove the plastic shell of the cartridge. Be cautious though that it would be advised that you know where to look when replacing the battery and being extremely careful because you are basically working with the cartridge's motherboard and could potentially harm your game even more. If you are weary of doing that, I would say just to buy a new copy online. eBay and Amazon should sell it for a reasonably cheap price as long as it isn't considered a rarity in the world of collecting.
    Nice Pants likes this.
    YouTube Channel | Community Channel
    Steam: chaotic50
    PSN: iFadeDx

Feel free to add me, just let me know who you are.

Banned
    Replacing a battery isn't hard. also there's nothing too fragile inside it, else every time you throw your cartridges out of anger to ground and walls you would need to get a new one and wouldn't that just anger you to no extend.

Quote Originally Posted by MCToast View Post
    Replacing a battery isn't hard. also there's nothing too fragile inside it, else every time you throw your cartridges out of anger to ground and walls you would need to get a new one and wouldn't that just anger you to no extend.
    When it comes to working on any modification or fix to a video game, console, etc. you should proceed with as much caution as possible. Just like Arcade cabinets, Game Boy Advance games utilize a PCB or Printed Circuit Board and can be extremely fragile to handle and work on. Replacing a dead Game Boy Advance battery is one of the easier tasks for someone either wanting to fix up their games for personal use or for a collector who wants to preserve the game for collection purposes; however, just like the Arcade PCB, they can break and they can short out if you make a mistake which will only lead you to a dead game plus more frustration. I know that Game Boy Advance games use a very small PCB, but replacing the battery can be a hassle for some if they don't know where to look on the board itself. You need to make sure your + and - are correctly aligned with the new battery; you need to make sure that you are careful in not breaking anything or having foreign objects coming into contact with the PCB itself which could cause it potentially short out or not work. Replacing a battery might not be hard for some people, but there are people that have ruined games from it because they make one tiny mistake which kills their entire game completely.

Banned
    mm, I build a lot eurorack/pedal kits and noise machines from recycled circuits and it's really hard to fuck up, especially when talking about breaking or frying parts.

DD addict
    I just noticed that some of GBA carts don't have a battery and yet they still save.

Quote Originally Posted by sifterpivoter View Post
    I just noticed that some of GBA carts don't have a battery and yet they still save.
    There is a reason they can probably still save and that is simply due to the fact that Game Boy Advance games unlike original Game Boy games use 4 different types of save systems. All original Game Boy games use an internal battery for the save function that you are so accustom to using; however, the Game Boy Advance being technologically superior in certain aspects utilizes not only batteries but also Flash RAM, FeRAM, EEPROM, and SRAM. Most SRAM cartridges are your older titles while most of your newer titles utilize FeRAM. Not every title in the GBA library uses a battery; however, you commonly saw it in games like Pokťmon where they are always adding features with each new set of titles. If you compare these features now to the original Red and Green versions, you can see why the drained battery is such a common error and a fix among collectors. This is why companies like Nintendo have moved away from batteries in their games during the GBA's lifespan, the battery is such an inconvenience to people that just want to play their games and having to replace them after so many uses or after so much time could get costly in the end. The Game Boy Advance carts basically paved the way for the Nintendo DS to utilize flash memory which unlike the common GBA cartridge battery, lasts for as long as you want it to in terms of usage.

DD addict
    That was really informative, thanks.