Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 48 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: TANKTEAM: Advice Thread for a simple workout.

TANKTEAM: Advice Thread for a simple workout.

The TANKTEAM presents: Advice for a simple workout

Hey guys,
    cavolia and me are talking about this recently. He asked me for advices and how I actually train. I guess people like spoock, Slashed and Lith actually have some experience on this and may add some of them to this.
    This is for everyone who wants to do something for hisself and his body. You can ask as much as you want. I hope the people who are interrested in this will response as fast as they can to help you guys.
    If you have any more questions and you don't want to speak about it in the publicity, talk to me on skype or send me a pm. Don't be scared if you send me picture of yourself or anything. Everyone started small and everyone can go big.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Well, where do I start? ... Yes. I will start on the training itself.

1. You need to have a lot of discipline. Try to train at least 2 times a week for 30 minutes - 1 hour. Its already enough to see some results if done correctly.

2. Try to push your limits and get yourself some help if you aren't sure about your own strength. Nobody wants to get an unnecessary injury.

3. Try to train properly. Don't rush the exercises. Because it is just important that you do them right.

4. Speaking of the exercises. Don't force yourself to use too much weight if you workout with those. Sometimes is less more.

5. Get some Water and drink it between the sets/exercises.

6. HAVE FUN AND DO IT FOR YOURSELF! If you don't feel motivated or good and you have to push yourself to go to the training. Sometimes it helps to take some rest and workout the other day with new motivation. If you don't have ANY motivation about working out. Then just don't do it.

Thats about the training. The training is just 40% of the actual workout.
    The other 60% is the nutrition:

1. Eat whenever you can. In the morning after you wake up, in school, at afternoon and right after training the dinner.
    => After training are able to eat way more because the body needs the food really much!

2. Try to eat protein. Eggs, cheese, milk, meat, fish, ... etc.
    => Especially when you wake up and after training. The need after protein there is really huge for your muscles so they can build up.

3. Try to eat healthy. E.g. Some slices of Bread in the morning and at school. Some potatoes, noodles at afternoon with some meat. And before you go to bed you eat some protein stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thats about it guys. I hope those advices will help somewhere.
    As I already mentioned I am up for questions like:

How do I train right? What muscles do I train with what exercise? How does your trainingsplan look like? What do you eat a day?
    What is useful to train? What exercises can I do without weights?
    |Forum Rules||My Thread|

if you guys need any help or advices add me.

Re: Advices Thread for a simple workout.

I've been doing gymnastics for over four years and I'm naturally pretty musculair already. I do train from time to time but It didn't really gain me any more muscle than I had. Only recently have I been trying to get into serious training.

Blademaster thought me some essential things about food I need to know. This got me very motivated and I'm pretty confident I'm going to gain some serious muscle.

I don't really have a solid training/food scedual yet. Previously my motivation differed from day to day and it influenced how intense my trainings were.
    This is the scedual I have in mind right now and which I'm trying to improve. I'd love to get some feedback on it.

Morning:
    Either bread with egg, or porridge. I'm not hungry in the morning most of the times but I know it's important so I force myself to. I take cereal bars with me for the way to school because I don't have that much time for breakfast.

Afternoon:
    Porridge, Noodles or Bread basically. I'm trying to score some meat or cheese as well.

-workout time
    Put on some hard music and get to work.

• 10x pull ups minimum.
      The amount I can do differs from day to day to be honest.
    • Not sure if there is a name for this, but it trains my abdominal muscles.
      I lay on my back and move my legs up and done one at the time while stretched as long as I can handle
    • More pull ups
    • 20x squats minimum.
      Just for the legs so everything stays in proportion
    • 20x pushups
    After that I do the exercises I feel I can do more off, but this will be my daily routine.
    Feedback on what I can add would be great for this.

Evening:
    I eat whatever my mom feeds me, the reason I exercise before Dinner is so I get hungry and eat more.

-workout time

I just do whatever I feel like I can still do more off again and then I jump into bed.
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts:
    • 12 November 2010

2000 Posts:
    • 30 March 2011

3000 Posts:
    • 25 December 2011

4000 Posts:
    • 19 November 2012

Vip:
    • 15 July 2010
      Special thanks to Arch

Myfiles:
    • 29 October 2010
      Special thanks to Mango

2 Month ban:
    • 16 July 2010
      Special thanks to Skype

Slide

[loh-key-shuhn] n; a place of settlement, activity, or residence

Re: TANKTEAM: Advices Thread for a simple workout.

Dr. Spock's Guide to Getting Super Frickin' Gigantic

This is a guide to getting bigger and stronger. It is not for use for those who wish to shed a couple pounds, though fat loss is indeed possible using this advice. However, I do not recommend using these techniques if that is your goal, nor do I consider myself entirely well-versed enough in that subject to offer others advice. If you're looking for that, honestly, check out the intermittent fasting Slashed mentions in his post below. Shit works, and better than anything I've ever seen, at least in my short experience with it.

Some background on me and my "credentials" if you can call it that: In middle school, I was fat. And I mean fat. I was not at all fit. After I realized that, I went through a period of very unhealthy weight loss and ended up as a stick, and still not fit. Over the next year, I got to average shape though I had no idea what I was doing. In the summer after my sophomore year (year 11) of high school, I finally decided to start getting serious, and I put on 25 pounds in three months, going from a relatively out-of-shape kid to one of the strongest in my school. The next summer I did the same. I did so using the knowledge I am about to share with you, though keep in mind it may not work for everyone.

Unfortunately, the way your body works, it is hard to create fat loss and muscle growth at the same time at any efficient rate unless you are in the first couple months of lifting seriously. What the body does let you do, however, is put on both muscle and fat, and then lose just fat. The former is called bulking, and the latter is cutting. I will teach you how to bulk.

Nutrition
    I am starting with nutrition because it is, by far, the most important part of any routine. It is said that 60% of muscle growth is done outside of the gym, and I believe in that wholeheartedly. You will never get the most out of your workouts unless you eat correctly, so I urge you to put emphasis on this area. No cheating.

Fortunately, though, the idea behind bulking is simply to EAT. This means that you are allowed much more freedom than if you were cutting, though it can certainly be just as hard or harder.

The best way to bulk is to eat clean, meaning mainly eating lean meats and complex carbohydrates. This is the bad news. I would recommend consuming no less than 4,000 calories a day for most of you, though less if you're younger (12-13ish). Do you know how may chicken breasts are in 4,000 calories? That depends on the size of the breast, but the short answer is a lot. A WHOLE lot. There are 200 calories in a 6 ounce chicken breast, so that would mean an average of 20 pieces of chicken. Most people simply can't eat that much in a day, but you're going to have to try.

Here's the good news (part 1): you don't have to eat chicken. You can if you want, but you should focus on the higher-calorie clean foods such as steak, wheat pasta, and brown rice. Anything wheat is good, eat up my friends. Supplements are also a huge plus, as they can boost your calories plenty without filling you up hardly at all.

Additionally, supplements boost your protein intake, which is also very important. The rule of thumb is to eat 1.5 -2 grams of protein per pound of body weight (sorry metric people, look up the conversion you lazy arses, though it should be 3-4 ish grams per kilo). I personally recommend getting "real" protein as opposed to supplements when you can stomach it, but 1-2 shakes a day is perfectly okay.

Fats and carbs are obviously important as well, but protein is most important. You need fat to live, so don't avoid it like the plague. There is a difference between good fats and bad fats though, so to get some fat in your diet try eating almonds or taking fish oil rather than a cheeseburger. Carbs are necessary for energy, but you should get those from your complex carb consumption. A lot of people like some simple sugars before their workouts, me included, because they provide energy and help prevent "crashing" (When your blood sugar gets too low during an intense workout. You get pale and sick and oftentimes vomit. It sucks. A lot). This is fine, but a little thing I do is that I don't count the calories from those as part of my intake for the day. They aren't helping you build, so they don't count in my mind.

The good news (part 2): Bulking doesn't have to be THAT strict. I HIGHLY recommend that you eat clean, but you don't have to all the time (just most of the time). Calories are calories, this is true, and there is a whole lot of energy in a Big Mac for your body to use to grow. The problem with this, though, is that you'll get fat, especially if you don't work out properly. You'll get stronger and bigger, but your cardio will suffer more and you certainly won't look great. Plus, if you plan on cutting afterwards, you'll have double the work to do. Not to mention the fact that your energy and overall body feel won't be good and as a result your workouts will suffer. SO DON'T OVERDO IT HERE PEOPLE DON'T BE IDIOTS. What I'm trying to say here is that if you're really craving a pizza, go ahead and eat a whole pizza. Just don't do this all the time, maybe once a week or once every two weeks you can eat crappy, just make sure to still get your calorie intake for the day (that won't be hard). Even more is kind of acceptable, just let it be known that the more you do this the less effective the program will be.

For those of you who have the metabolism of a shrew: You're allowed to eat fast food. In fact, I recommend it. There are some people who simply have a hard time putting on weight and if that's you, go ahead and go to McDonald's. Consume your body weight in cheeseburgers. Do whatever it takes for you to start gaining, YOU'RE certainly not getting fat.

Exercise

And of course, to supplement all your eating you have to go to the gym. HAVE TO. Nutrition doesn't work without lifting, and vice-versa. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a gym membership, though it is possible to get a decent workout using just body weight exercises. If you really want to do that, check out the Super Saiyan workout posted a couple pages in, LINK COMING SOON. You will never see the best results if you don't invest in one, though.

First, some terminology.
    Reps - The number of times you do the motion before taking a break.
    Sets - Groups for reps. You might do 8 reps, stop for a minute, then do another 8 reps. Each of those groups of 8 reps is called a set.
    Cardio exercise - An exercise designed to boost your heart performance and endurance, ie running.
    Strength exercise - An exercise to boost the strength of a muscle or muscles.
    Timed exercise - An exercise you do for a certain period of time before stopping instead of for a distinct number of reps.
    Sets and reps are typically designated in this notation: sets x reps. For example, if you're doing 3 sets of 8 push ups it is written: Push-ups 3 x 8

Rules of thumb: typically, you want to do 3 sets per exercise, 4 if it's your first exercise and you want to warm up the muscles. To do this, put on a light weight and do 1 set of typically 10-12 reps, slowly (both on the way up and on the way down). You also typically want to do 6 or 8 reps per set while bulking, though certain exercises I will indicate you should go higher. Also, when bulking always always always lift heavy. When you do a set of 8, you better not be able to complete three sets of 9 reps with that weight or ima slap a bitch. And by bitch, I mean you. And by slap, I mean a solid kick in the gonads.

In addition to what I mention here, you should do a couple burnout sets at the end of each workout. This means put on a relatively light weight (one you can do for 12+ the first time) and rep it out until you can't do it one more time. And I mean CAN'T. Not think you can't, but you try to do the motion and simply cannot anymore. A spotter is highly recommended. If you have someone who can help you out for a bit, I recommend doing three negatives after you fail. This means having the other person pull/push the weights down/up, then let you lower/raise the weights as slow as you possibly can. Or, if you're lucky enough to have a friend, I recommend doing burnouts resistance style. This means to do an exercise, typically a machine one, but put on a relatively small weight and have the friend push back on you. Have them push just hard enough that the weights move as you do your rep, but slowly. This means that every rep is effectively the HEAVIEST YOU CAN DO AT THAT POINT. After these sets, you should feel completely ruined.

Your sets can vary in their structure. However, I would suggest, for bulking at least, that you should never build down. What I mean by this is don't start at a high weight your first set, end up burning yourself out and take off plates for the subsequent sets just so you can get 8 reps. True, you should get the reps, and certainly if you put on a weight and can't do it for three sets lower it, but don't use that as your plan. If you're going to change the weight at all, make it heavier. For example, start at 80 pounds your first set 90 your next and 100 for your last. You want to give it your all for your last set, because you want to squeeze out every last drop of power your muscles have. I tend to keep the weight the same for the first two sets and go as heavy as I can for the last set, but that's just me. It's also perfectly fine to keep the same weight for all three sets, as long as you're getting all you can from your body. Now, like I touched on previously, it's a bad thing to burn yourself out on the first set of an exercise. That means that if you're trying to figure out what weight you're going to put on for your first set, ERR ON THE LIGHT SIDE. This is for safety purposes as well as so you can successfully complete your later sets. If its too light, bump it up next time, you should have a feel for it by then. Also, there's no shame in doing one rep to test how much you can do and taking off a couple plates, I know that was a big thing for me at the beginning.

Also, no or little cardio exercises on a bulk. Your endurance will suffer, but that can't be helped. Make up for it during the cut!

Finally, I recommend mixing free weights and machine exercises. The difference with free weights and why they're harder is that they work all the tiny little muscles you don't even know are there, which are generically called stabilizer muscles. You work them by, obviously, stabilizing the weights you're holding and keeping them from moving around. Thus, you'll be an overall stronger person and potentially a bigger person if you use free weights. That being said, it's certainly good to cut those out of the picture and train only the muscles you're focusing on by using machine exercises sometimes. These isolate the muscles and allow you to get the most mass out of those particular ones you're training and the most strength out of them as well. But using solely machines will make you weak and rather flimsy, so for an ideal bulk you should get a decent mix of both.

Now, the main muscle groups you need to focus on are: abs, legs, back, chest, shoulders, biceps, and triceps. You can work in some calves and other stuff every so often but that doesn't need to be done every week.

If not stated otherwise, each set should consist of 8 reps.

CHEST
    Ah, the chest. Yes this involves the fabled bench press which, for whatever reason, seems to be the only exercise the general population cares about. In reality chest is one of the less important muscles groups, at least in my mind (maybe that's just because my chest is relatively weak ). It is used less often than most in actual activities, but certainly drives the women crazy. So, without further ado, here are my favorite exercises for chest:
    Bench Press - Mid chest
    Machine Bench - Use for resistance burnouts in addition to part of typical routine; Mid chest
    Incline Bench - Upper chest
    Dumbbell Bench - Focuses on stabilizer muscles, recommended to perform at least occasionally
    Dumbbell Flyes - Chest Isolation
    Cable Crossovers - Chest Isolation; 10 - 12 reps
    Push - Ups - Should only be used for burnouts on a bulk; to failure

BACK
    This is my second favorite muscle group. Please note, though, that several of the exercises I am about to list are redundant, particularly the rows. They're not all necessary, but they're good for a variety.
    Lat Pulldown - Imperative to do every session
    Close-Grip Lat Pulldown - I typically use a handle with grips perpendicular to the handle shown here, but meh
    Bent-Over Row - Fantastic mass gainer, but FORM IS INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT
    T-Bar Row
    Dumbbell Row
    Seated Cable Row
    Straight Arm Pulldown - Should feel very easy and light while you're doing it, but the next day it will hurt; 10 reps
    Hyperextensions - Do this occasionally to prevent injury; 12+ reps
    Pullups - Only use for burnouts; high reps
    One note: NEVER do lat pulldowns by pulling the bar behind your neck. This can very easily lead to a rotator cuff injury and cause you problems for the rest of your life.

LEGS
    Oh boy, leg day! Legs are by far the most difficult muscle group to train. If you've heard horror stories about leg days, they're true. If you haven't, they're still true. This is mostly because legs are big, so in order to break them down correctly a whole lot more effort is required. I often throw up on leg day, and you know you've had a good one when you can't walk normally for a few days. seriously, it hurts when you do it right. This requires an immense amount of effort, so you should take a few precautions before a leg day. Eat clean all day long so you don't vomit. Also, I like to drink a half of a Gatorade or a whole Gatorade before my workout to make sure I have the energy to make it through it. I also keep a Gatorade nearby during the workout so I can replenish my blood sugar if I feel myself start to get woozy and crash. You're gonna have a bad time unless you make sure your body is prepared.
    Squat - Be very careful with these, and make sure you have a spotter. These can be used for a burnout with low-weight high reps. ALWAYS go rock-bottom. I mean your ass should be touching your calves, or very close to it. Even if this means going a lower weight.
    Machine Squat - No video because it depends what kind of machine you have at your gym, but it's pretty self-explanatory
    Weighted Lunge - Can also be done with dumbbells or kettle bells in your hand. High reps; I typically walk up and down my gym while doing lunges. Instead of setting a number of reps per set, I walk the length of my gym and back.
    Deadlift - Careful here
    Leg Extensions
    Leg Press - My personal favorite
    Leg Curls
    In my workout, I do super-sets, meaning I alternate exercises. For example, I do one set of leg press then one set of lunges THEN I take a break. A small one, though, as you need to keep your legs working. Yeah, it's rough. Typically, I start with leg press and superset lunges, then squats or machine squats and superset lunges. I never do lunges on their own. You can also do two minutes at the highest setting and highest incline on the elliptical or arc trainer instead of a couple of the lunges sets, though it should never be a full replacement.

SHOULDERS
    Also one of my favorites. These exercises burn a lot of the time, fight the pain.
    Military Press - Spotter HIGHLY recommended
    Machine Military Press - The machine at your gym may not look like this
    Cable Shrugs - Can also be done with a cable machine that has separate handles. I prefer this to Barbell Shrugs, but either is fine. 12 Reps.
    Front Raise - 10 reps
    Side Lateral Raise - 10 reps
    Upright Row - I prefer to do these on a Smith machine, which is basically a bar on runners. I'm sure your gym has one.
    Death Rolls - I couldn't find a video for this one. It's relatively uncommon, but oh lawd does it work. My shoulders are stronger than most people's and I'm willing to bet it's all because of these babies. They're basically weighted Arm Circles. Do that motion, except with a 2.5 or 5 pound plate in your hands (or whatever the small plates are in metric places). Do large circles for as long as you can. Set a goal and a timer to make sure you don't jip yourself. By the time a set is finished, your arms should have given out a couple times and you should have had to lower your arms to your sides. Don't keep them there; raise your arms and keep going. Make sure they're actual fails, though, don't just say "alright this is tough I need a break." I typically superset this with two sets apiece of Side Raises and Front Raises. This is a mandatory burnout.

ABS
    This is by far the most controversial topic in weight lifting. Everyone has a different opinion on the proper ways to work them. Some train them every day high reps low weight, some train every other day high reps low weight, some train once a week high weight low reps, some say not to train them at all, etc etc. Really, though, you have to find what works for you. This is what works for me. I train once a week. If they're weightless, raise or lower the reps based on your in shapeness.
    Machine Crunches - 3 x 10 HEAVY; every session
    Bycicle - Lower abs & Obliques; 1 set
    Crunches - Upper abs; 1-3 sets
    Oblique Crunches - Obliques; 1-2 sets
    Planks - 3 x Time; mixed in with Side Planks.
    V-Ups - Full Abs; 1 set
    Scissor Kick - Lower Abs; 1 set
    Hanging Leg Raise - Lower Abs; 1-3 sets
    There is actually a plethora of exercises I'm not even listing because it's just ridiculously extensive. I just take 15 minutes and do a few of the exercises I know about to train them, making sure I get a mix of upper abs, lower abs, and obliques. I recommend researching these on your own and doing the exercises you like best, but the above is enough to get you started.

TRICEPS
    Oh boy, my favorite! These make up most of the mass of your arm, believe it or not. Biceps are much less important than triceps for both athletics and looks, even though biceps are more glorified.
    Close-Grip Bench - I actually recommend bringing the bar lower on your chest than this guy does in the video, but I guess he is a professional and all... meh. Can also be done on a machine bench, just put a handle for the cable machines between the handles. That's how I do them.
    Skullcrusher - Please don't actually crush your skull; use a spotter
    Tricep Pushdown
    Machine Tricep Extension - Your machine may look different. Mine does.
    Dips - Burnout only; high reps

BICEPS
    It is my personal opinion that it is only necessary to train these every other week, but feel free to do them every week.
    Hammer Curl - 10 reps
    Machine Preacher Curls - 10 reps
    Barbell Curl - I typically do these in a ladder fashion. This means that I start with 10 reps, then my next set is 9 reps, then 8, all the way down to 1, then back up again. It is best to do this with a partner as your rest time between sets is how long it takes him to finish his set. This is a burnout, though you can do them regular for a normal exercise.
    Towel Curls - My favorite burnout. It involves a partner. Find the pad that your gym uses for Preacher Curls and get set up as if you were going to do that exercise. Then, take one of the workout towels your gym has, and have a partner hold the ends of it, while you grab the middle section of the towel with both hands. Now have them resist you while you curl the towel in a typical resistance set. Wow do these work. It can also be done with a rope or a handle for the cable machines.

Now, most bulkers work out 3-4 days a week. Legs are always trained alone, while chest and back are typically grouped with shoulders or triceps. Chest and back shouldn't be done on the same day in my opinion. The optional fourth day is a "cleanup" day of biceps, abs, and anything else you feel like training. A lot of people train bis and tris together, back with abs, and chest with shoulders as well. What you train with what is really up to you. Abs fit in anywhere and legs are always trained alone.

Feel free to make any one of these exercises resistance sets if you can find a way to do it, but the ones listed are the ones I do.

But, Dr. Spock sir, this is a whole lot of exercises!
    This is true. Which is why you don't have to do them all every time, these are just examples of the best exercises (IMO) for each muscle group.

This is a generic workout I've made up similar to mine, though my routine varies:

Monday: Chest/Shoulders
    Bench Press
    Machine Bench
    Flyes
    Military Press (machine or free weight)
    Shrugs
    Front Raises - 2 sets superset with Death Roll
    Side Raises - 2 sets superset with Death Roll

Tuesday: Bis/Abs/Whatever else
    Curls
    Hammer Curls
    Towel Curls - Resistance bi burnout
    Abs
    Etc.

Wednesday: Legs
    Leg Press - Superset with lunges
    Machine Squats - Superset with lunges
    Leg Raises
    Leg Curls
    Free Weight Squats - burnout; superset with lunges

Friday: Back/Tris
    Lat Pulldowns
    Close-Grip Lat Pulldowns
    T-bar row
    Dumbbell Row
    Machine Tricep Extension
    Tricep Pushdown
    SkullCrushers
    Dips - burnout tris

And that's it! One final note: Don't be an idiot; take rest days. NEVER train a muscle group two days in a row. In fact, it's best to go a week between training each muscle group, as I have laid out. Rest is essential to muscle growth, you will actually set yourself back if you overtrain.

CONGRATULATIONS, YOU HAVE COMPLETED BULKING 101! NOW GO GET HUGE AND POST PICTURES OF YOUR RESULTS
    Last edited by Spock; 09 Sep 2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: continyued
    Lolzafish and Chris like this.

Slashed, BroScience MD.

[center:17h9xyrl]Slashed, BroScience MD.[/center:17h9xyrl]

An important thing to note about everything I say: I will only ever give information that I truly believe has helped me, now this information may contradict some of the things other people in this thread say; but it's only advice. I'm not saying you have to do it

So, welcome to my fitness post; I'm happy to answer questions here, via PM or Skype if you aren't a weirdo. In the following post I will address nutrition, exercises, mindset & gym etiquette for noobs. I'll tell you what works for me along with what works for other people.

So, on that note we'll get on with it:

Nutrition

Nutrition is easily the most important thing for not only a healthy body, but working out in general. There are many a mantra based around this: "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym", "Fitness is 40% exercises, 60% Nutrition" etc.
    To a great extent this is true, and that's why this section comes first. Something I wish I knew when I started out is just how much more I could have gained early on from knowing what I was doing with food.
    I'll be answering a few main points in this post. Mainly simple ones as to not get too complicated.

When should I eat?

In my opinion this is one of the most abused topics in the health industry. Bodybuilders will tell you to eat 6 small meals a day and that without them your muscles will start falling off of your body, which is just... I can't begin to describe how stupid that is.
    Another point that will be brought up by this is that your "metabolism will speed up" and somehow delete all the food you are consuming, constantly. I see the merit in the statement because this has been taught to people for many years. It is however, from my experience, untrue. I started eating more meals, more often, in June of 2012 and gave up by September because... Well look at me:

[tn=250:17h9xyrl]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/7862/slashedtattoo.jpg[/tn:17h9xyrl]
    (Image courtesy of Stickid)

And yeah, I wasn't that fat before said summer. Not to mention I was eating "clean" as I will move onto in the next topic.
    So what's worked for me? Well, I spent a long time looking into calories, macros and all of that crazy stuff. But what I've found works much better for me, and a hell of a lot faster than any other method I've seen used. That method is what is known as Intermittent Fasting. Because it's such a huge topic I will save that for another section. All I will say here is that I'm in my 5th week of fasting and have lost over 11 pounds.

What should I eat?

Now this is a good question, with many different answers. So we'll split this into three groups; Carbs, Protein & Fats.

Carbohydrates: So carbs are pretty much your muscles source of energy. People who cut carbs notice their bodies feeling much bigger on carb up days. They "fill" the muscle. That being said it's very important to get enough carbs to keep your body functioning throughout the day. Especially when fasting, as you must replenish the energy used after the gym.
    Good sources of carbs are things like: Banana's, Wholemeal Bread, Brown Rice, Rolled Oats and Weetabix (A personal favourite!).

Protein: Protein is essential to muscle growth, and it's essential to get enough of it whilst working out. Protein synthesis occurs for around 72 hours after muscle fibres have been torn, so it's a good idea to get a constant source, so that they heal as efficiently as possible.
    Good sources of protein are things like: Whey Protein (contains more BCAA's and has a better gram for gram whole protein source than even lean meats), Chicken Breast, Beef, Turkey & Nuts (almonds and walnuts).

Fats: Fats are something that most people will die to stay away from. From fat free yogurt to... well fat free everything! This is silly. Fats don't make you fat. As with everything too much will harm you, and as such your body is unable to digest a lot of fat, causing fat cells to store in your body. Sticking to healthy fats will mean this is much less likely, as the body is more equipped to digest them.
    Good sources of healthy fats are things like: Coconut oil, Avacado, Almonds & Walnuts.

How much should I eat?

This one is pretty simple. A classic bodybuilder/powerlifter/fitness model split is as such:

40% Carbs
    40% Protein
    20% Fat

This is a great meal split and works out pretty easily to match.

Related to this I'd like to quickly address a very common question: How much protein should I eat?

This is something people either go WAY over on or WAAAYY under. A good amount of protein is around one gram per pound of bodyweight. So for example if you weigh 160lbs, a good amount of protein to consume daily is around 160g. It's not hard, and the results are fantastic.

As for calories, that really depends on if you are cutting or bulking. Such is the way of most working out, really. I'll go into the right amounts of calories to eat when we actually get onto cutting/bulking.

So what is this Intermittent Fasting?

Intermittent fasting is an incredibly powerful tool popularised by programs such as the LeanGains guide and YouTube channels such as The Hodge Twins. It's still fairly new, and that's what puts most people off. However, after doing some research you find that many a scientific test has been undertaken and that there really are no downsides.
    The BBC did a great documentary on this that taught me a lot and first got me interested in the concept, before finding a more specific to bodybuilding style.

[youtube:17h9xyrl]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9_vGtbjHPQ[/youtube:17h9xyrl]

The basic principle behind Intermittent Fasting (IF) is that your body goes through a state of fasting for at least 16 hours. This means no food, or drinks with calories. So drink a lot of water (at least 3 litres), black coffee and black tea as much as you like, just don't eat anything. Contrary to the health industries ideas, this does not cause your body to go into "starvation mode". Your muscle does not waste away until your body is entirely out of fat, and if you were out of fat you'd be dead!
    Fasting causes the body to use fat as an energy source, meaning you burn a crazy amount when mixed with exercise. It's easy for somebody on IF to lose 5% of their body fat in 5 weeks, whereas somebody eating 6 meals a day may barely lose a pound a week.

One thing to note is that the production of HGH (Human Growth Hormone) is said to be increased. Personally I haven't read up on this. But it's certainly something I'm interested in seeing more about.

A lot of people say that they need more energy in the mornings, which is crazy! I feel more energetic now than I ever have before. I used to wake up in the morning and feel awful for hours, but now I wake up and feel fantastic.

And lastly, do you really think our lean, agile Caveman ancestors ate 6 meals a day? Eh...

What shouldn't I eat?

Some people can't figure out what food is good and bad for them, so here I am to help you with it
    Food that is very high in fat or sugar is immediately banned from any serious bodybuilders lifestyle. But that doesn't mean that a guy who just wants to get in shape should eat them either!

So a good list of things to avoid would probably be a sensible idea here. You should be able to get the general idea of what to avoid from these things:

Chips/Fries (Simple Carbs with added fat? Hell naw).
    Pork (The worst meat in terms of gram for gram protein and fat levels, I'm sorry if you love bacon... It's just not good for you).
    Fried Food (Generally a bad idea, with a few exceptions, frying steak/chicken/fish without oil on a non-stick pan is fine).
    Sweets/Candy
    Doughnuts
    Crisps/Chips (Probably one of the WORST things you can do to your body)
    Biscuits/Cookies (I am so guilty of this one myself. I break my fast every single day with a Maryland chocolate chip cookie )
    Cheese (It's just not good for you, at all really...)

Those are just some of the worst foods out there. There are a bunch more you shouldn't be eating but I hope that gives you a good idea. Feel free to ask me for more detail on these or about other foods.

Can I drink (Alcohol)?

This question is SO common that I felt I should offer my input, as I've read up on alcohol and it's effects on the body a hell of a lot. And I've experienced them to no end being a 21 year old third year university student...

Alcohol (particularly darker drinks, such as beer and cider) releases a lot of compound oestrogen into the system. And oestrogen kills testosterone, the key element to building any sort of muscle.
    This is the hardest part of changing your diet, especially if you are a regular drinker. Social pressure etc. really puts a lot of strain on your un-studenty habits.

Obviously never being allowed to drink again would be a travesty! On the odd occasion I see no reason that you can't have a few drinks. However, I would say to try and stick to clear alcohols, such as Vodka, Gin or Sambuca. These drinks contain less compound oestrogen and will cause you less trouble in the long run.

Oh, and ever wondered why you have a beer belly and saggy pecs even when the rest of you is stick thin? Oestrogen. Think about it.

You said you only preach what you believe in, mind proving why you believe in it?

Of course not! I can't pose to save my life, and hell, I didn't workout before this photo (taken on a rest day)... But you can sure see how much weight I've lost, and how ripped I've managed to get in such a tiny time period.

[tn=250:17h9xyrl]http://**********.com/img/1353443806.png[/tn:17h9xyrl] [tn=250:17h9xyrl]http://darkdemon.org/user-files/152/1353750356.png[/tn:17h9xyrl]

Exercise

After that gargantuan load of nutritional biz, I think it's time to get on to the fun part - the actual working out!
    For the first part of this section I will assume you are a newbie who has no weights, or very limited equipment. However I would expect that if you have come this far, you at least have dumbbells and a place to do pull-ups (if not, Amazon, eBay and craigslist are your friends!).

I'd love to be able to look at every single body type here and really get into the nitty gritty of the whole thing, but you know as well as I do that it would take me weeks! So I'm going to start off with my opinions on newbie workouts and just general fitness help. Not everyone is looking for aesthetic superiority and as such I'm going to focus on main strength gaining exercises.

Newbies and muscles!

So, you wanna build some muscle? That's good man, that's real good.
    Anyways, a complete newbie who has never touched a pair of dumbbells in his life has an extraordinary capability. When muscles are first worked, they thirst for more, and they grow insanely quickly. Especially if that person is in puberty.
    More onto that quickly; if you are in puberty when you start to workout you are at your peak of testosterone production, this means you're basically on steroids. And best of all, it's perfectly natural! I WISH I had started training around the age of 14, because the gains would be off the scale.
    Either way, it's good to use this time wisely and focus on the entire body, because if you do this you will gain an all round nice shape in only a couple of years with only limited effort.

So, tell me what to do!

Okay, so first off you're going to need to know which muscle groups are which, and what kinds of movements you need to work those groups.

So without further ado:

BEFORE you think "Holy crap, there's so much there!" you need only refer back to this image when I mention an area you don't know about. You should also know that people generally don't refer to muscles by their full name. For example the "Trapezius" (upper back) are more commonly known as "Traps", and the "Lattimus Dorsi" are refered to as "Lats". It should be pretty easy to guess what I'm going on about, but feel free to ask questions.

So, you've just started, I'm going to go ahead and guess you want all those things that the girls like (who doesn't!?). Abs, Arms and a decent looking chest. So we'll touch on those first.

Abs: The ever raging debate! There is SO much misinformation on training abs out there today. People all over the world used to say that you had to work them out constantly. Nowadays, everyone pushes diet (remember "Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym"?) as the only requirement for abs. I fell right into this trap and have tiny abs. These people word it in such a way that really makes you feel as though working your abs is pointless. After all, you work them in other exercises, right? Not enough!
    So what can I do to make sure I get big abs that the diet can support?
    Glad you asked. The three most simple and best abdominal exercises I've ever found have to be: Crunches, Leg Raises (for that 8-pack look!), and Decline Sit Ups. These three movements work the entirety of your abdominal stretch.
    And hey, not sure how to perform them? Take a look at these great videos (note, "great" denotes the form, not the people in the video, although Scooby is epic):

Crunches: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKg_cdwq9l4
    Leg Raises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMo97vRBg5A
    Decline Sit Ups: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhGU5cmNZds

Still aren't convinced? This guy bases his entire ab routine around these three exercises:
    [tn=350:17h9xyrl]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/547275_405850016141107_57562422_n.jpg[/tn:17h9xyrl]

Arms: What every guy wants, their arms popping out of their shirt, right? No? Just me? Okay, well the arm contains two muscles and three areas we need to be aware of: The Biceps, Triceps and Brach's. These are your focus, and you need to learn to work them dynamically. Just doing curls will not give you the arms you want!
    That's all well and good but how am I supposed to hit all of those areas?
    Something I get told a lot is that people don't feel their biceps aching the next day even after a heavy workout. To this I say "You haven't done enough." What do I mean by that? You need more varied exercises. For example, my current Biceps & Brachs workout goes something like this:

4 Sets 8x Chin Ups
    4 Sets 10x Barbell Curl
    4 Sets 10x Hammer Curl
    3 Sets 20x Wide-Grip Bicep Extension (no real videos for this one guys, basically using the cables to perform the same movement as a curl).

Now as I said I don't expect people to have all of the equipment for these exercises. With the curls, it's perfectly acceptable to switch out for a set of dumbbells. And well, the Extensions at the end are just to try and get rid of the last of your glycogen stores, so you could lower the weight of your dumbbells and achieve the same effect.
    NOTE: It's very important that you achieve proper form on these exercises. You do NOT want to start using your back for any of them, and if you do, you may as well stop as your not helping yourself.

For Triceps you want movements that are akin to pushing (notice how all of your Biceps movements are based around pulling and your Triceps around pushing? Yep). When I began I would use standing shoulder press and push ups as my main form of Tricep engagement. There are however, much better ways to target them. These movements come in the form of Tricep Extensions, Tricep Pulldowns, Dips & Skullcrushers. As I noted with the biceps, some of these movements are hard to achieve at home and without proper equipment, so let's look at possible alternatives.

4 Sets 10x Tricep Extensions (2:00 onward, for some reason this is the only okay video on the form apart from a sixpackshortcuts video! O.o)
    4 Sets 10x Dips (0:50 onward. Simply find a table or chair around knee-height to perform these)
    4 Sets 10x Dumbbell Skullcrushers

These are generally what I have used thus far, and this is the condition of my Triceps right now; you can decide if you like them
    [tn=150:17h9xyrl]http://**********.com/img/1353464611.png[/tn:17h9xyrl]
    I would hope that after these three exercises you could work the rest of your Triceps with your chest workout... Which leads us on to the chest!

Chest: The chest is one of those things that you always see big guys definitely have. The real question is, how do you do it? Well if we take a look at our anatomy chart you can see that there are actually two muscles that make up your Pectorals, Pectoralis Major & Pectoralis Minor. The upper Pecs (Major), run along the collar bone while your lower Pecs (Minor) run across your ribs. When somebody is of a low enough bodyfat percentage you can see the separation between these areas. The real question is how to make sure you are hitting both!
    So, how do I do it!?
    This is where one of three extremely good exercises comes into play, the Bench Press. Along with Squats and Deadlifts, the Bench Press releases a lot of testosterone which is used to build muscle. It is also a compound movement that hits multiple muscle groups, meaning more gains.
    Using dumbbells is a perfectly valid way to work your chest, and is even preferred by some. So a good chest workout for any beginner would be:

4 Sets 10x Incline Bench Press
    4 Sets 10x Flat Bench Press
    4 Sets 10x Flat Dumbbell Flyes
    4 Sets 10x Dumbbell Pullover

This workout will see fantastic results if you stick to it, you'll begin to see a muscular chest that your friends will be jealous of!

As a basic introduction to newbies I believe that these exercises, along with a light amount of cardio (jogging twice a week for 20 minutes) can develop a very impressive body. Obviously this should be tailored to fit each person specifically, and I can help you with that if you ask.

So, that's a basic workout but what about the other parts of my body?

I'd rather not go into detail on working the other parts of the body without first knowing a few things about you. Every one is different and nothing in fitness should be done without preparation and planning. Therefore I'm going to just run through the average week in the life of a bodybuilder:

Monday: Chest & Triceps: Bench Press, Skullcrushers and Flyes are all exercises that work on these two muscle groups, and you will find that the two compliment each other very well.
    Tuesday: Rest Day: Some people take this opportunity to train abs or do some cardio.
    Wednesday: Back & Biceps: Bicep Curl, Lat Pulldown & Chin Ups. Again, these two body parts compliment each other very well, and personally this is my favourite day of the week!
    Thursday: Rest Day: See Tuesday!
    Friday: Legs & Shoulders: Squats, Leg Press and Shoulder Press. The dregs of the week. Leg day is classically peoples least favourite day of the week, but it is also one of the most important. Your Quadriceps are a massive muscle group and release a hell of a lot of testosterone which both increases your ability to work out and your will to.
    Saturday: Rest Day.
    Sunday: Rest/Cheat Day.

Wait, what's a cheat day!?

Ah, you saw that, eh?
    The cheat day is something that would typically fit into the Nutrition section of this guide. However, I find that newbies who learn about that right at the start tend to start having "Cheat Weeks" and then Cheat months, and years... etc.
    For that reason I've kept it back a bit. If you got this far into the guide I'm sure you have some conviction and actually want to build some muscle.

So, the main purpose of a cheat day is to relieve cravings and generally reward yourself for eating such incredibly healthy food all week. It lasts for one day, and typically people ignore calories whilst doing it. The problem is that you need the discipline of eating well in place before you can do something like it, and most people don't realise that.

So the optimal way to do it is to at least take a whole week, if not two before you have your first cheat day.

So how should I approach cutting/bulking, and what the hell are they!?

That brings us onto our next major topic:

Cutting & Bulking

Cutting and Bulking are terms used for when bodybuilders are losing fat or gaining muscle. And the two mean exactly that. To cut is to restrict your calories so that you lose weight, and to bulk is to give yourself a surplus of calories so that the body can use them to build muscle.

So, why do this? Can't I lose weight and gain muscle at the same time?

Well, yes and no. As a newbie, your muscles are so thirsty to be used that they will grow whether you are at a calorie surplus or not. But for anyone who has been working out for over a year, no. You just can't add a valid amount of muscle this way. Hence the idea behind Bulking and Cutting.

SO what do I do first? Cut or Bulk!?

The best way for you to be able to see what you have to work with, and which muscle groups are lacking is to cut. Typically at around 10% bodyfat people can see what they have to work with, and that's how you progress. After this, you can begin to prepare for a bulk. As I've already mentioned, preparation is key. So, let me explain in a little more detail how each process works.

Cutting

The basic principle of losing weight is calorie restriction. So to do this you need to find your caloric maintenance level. A great way to do this is to use an online calorie calculator. This is an excell document that can calculate the amount of calories you need to build muscle. That means bulking. Your maintenance level is classically 300 calories below bulking, and then cutting, a further 300 calories.
    I know it sounds like a lot to take in right now, but as soon as you get the basic numbers down, and start paying attention to the labels it really does all come together.

More to come...
    Lolzafish likes this.

To add to number 3:

If you rush through the exercises to quickly then you are not doing the exercise right. If you rush through it you don't use your muscles enough and will either not get the desired result or you will have to do more. Especially push ups, don't brag if you can rush through 50 or so, because you aren't even doing them properly.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

^Thats a nice add. Thanks!

Thank you guys for taking part on this. We appreciate every help, experiences and advices.
    I guess it should be alright slashed.
    |Forum Rules||My Thread|

if you guys need any help or advices add me.

Veteran Enthusiast

Always do at least 5 minutes of cardio before you work out. This is a necessity to stop injury. It gives your muscles the chance to warm up.

Don't stick to just bench presses and bicep curls, you need to spice it up with other muscle groups.

Try tensing the muscle you are about to work, for about one minute at a full tense. Then try to do the work out. It my hurt, but it will help your muscles grow.

That's all I have for now.

Edit:

Don't focus on eating heaps of protein. You still need everything. The best percentage would be about 70% carbohydrates, 15-20% fats, and 10-15% protein. This is a must.

Flume

Here is some helpful guidelines I have learned through PE in year 11 and 12 - for those unsure about weights, sets, reps, speed of contraction and amount of rest between sets to train certain muscular fitness components. I might add more later, enjoy.

Tips

-Have a days rest between workout sessions to avoid injury and to give your muscles time to rebuild and recover (unless working out different muscle groups).
    -Eat appropriately, protein is essential in building muscle (Carbs and Fats are also important to).
    -Get a good nights sleep! Human Growth Hormone is released during sleep which promotes growth.
    -Perform adequate warm ups, cool downs and stretches to prevent injury and delayed onset muscle soreness.
    -Apply the principle of Progressive Overload (increase the weight by up to 10 percent) when you become used to the weight or find it to easy in order to avoid a plateau in workout gains.
    -Ensure you are performing exercises correctly.
    -Work out with friends to keep each other motivated.
    -Aim to work out at least 2, but preferably 3 times a week to see some improvement.

Training Info

Strength
    The ability of the muscle to apply maximal force in one contraction.

Weight - 80%+ of 1RM
    Reps - 2-4
    Sets - 3-5
    Contraction Speed - Slow
    Rest - 2-5 minutes

Power
    The ability of the muscle to apply maximal force at speed/a fast rate/in an explosive effort.

Weight - 50-60% of 1RM
    Reps - 3-5
    Sets - 3-5
    Contraction Speed - Fast
    Rest - 2-5 minutes

Hypertrophy
    Enlargement of the muscles.

Weight - 60-85% of 1RM
    Reps - 6-12
    Sets - 4-6
    Contraction Speed - Medium
    Rest - 30-90 seconds

Muscular Endurance
    The ability of the muscle to sustain continuous sub-maximal contractions and resist fatigue.

Weight - 50-60% of 1RM
    Reps - 15+
    Sets - 2-3
    Contraction Speed - Medium
    Rest - 1:1 Work:Rest Ratio

Banned

@Rez: What's the difference between strength and power?

Edit: Thanks y'all, for answering my question so well, I'll be looking at power then.

Edit 2: Because I want to pack a bigger punch and I suppose with great power comes [s:1ij71x8p]great responsibility[/s:1ij71x8p] a bit of strength too which is good. I am reserving this post in case I can ever help. First page post woot woot!

Updated my scedual on the second post, would love feedback for that.
    | Pivot | Artwork | Youtube |
    DD Achievements:
    Spoiler:

Beginner:
    • 16 august 2008

Intermediate:
    • 9 January 2009

Veteran:
    • 28 June 2010

666 Posts:
    • 3 July 2010

1000 Posts: