Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Enthusiast

Lerkys literate :D - Gallipoli

[center:2r8a9lwx]Gallipoli[/center:2r8a9lwx]

[center:2r8a9lwx]I peer through the porthole into the gloom on the beach that I will be landing on soon; I see the occasional flashes that light up the sky as the artillery strikes hit their targets. I am waiting, in the cramped space in which thirty of my fellow soldiers on the battleship are waiting, for the command to jump into the many landing boats scattered around the edges of the ship. Everyone is reading their letters from home, probably wondering whether they will ever be able to see their loved ones. My letter is one written from my wife and has a photo attached in the corner of my family and me. They look happy, I think to myself as I tuck the crumpled and tattered letter into the top pocket of my army uniform. I look across the room, everyone with their heads down, some crying, some trying to look brave and others muttering prayers to God. The atmosphere has changed from what it was in Egypt; everyone was positive, bored and pumped to go to get some action. But over the past months the excitement had faded and the realization that they could die and never be seen again sank in. The happy, positive people that I lived with at the training camps in Egypt had changed into a sad, sorry group.

I see one man, all by himself in the corner, no letter, just sitting there staring at the wall. I feel sorry for him because he probably doesn’t have anyone left to love. So I get up out of my seat; some people raise their heads for a second but then going back to their mourning. I am about to sit down next to him when the door of our room opens. A sudden burst of wind and rain enters the room and some people jump. I look towards the door and there is our officer, standing in the doorway. Flashes of lighting and gunfire behind him make an outline of white, which, accompanying the pouring rain outside gives him a haunting look. He has to shouts over the pelting rain hitting the deck and lighting booming.

“C’mon, let’s get going”!

Everyone gets up while putting away their notes and exit towards the door. As soon as I step outside, the rain goes straight through my uniform, soaking everything, and I shiver with the sudden change of temperature. Our group is not the only one doing this, about five more groups along the ship’s deck are getting into the small landing boats. Once in the boat I find that it is even more uncomfortable and smaller than in the holding room and I am pushed against the side of the boat and between my comrades. The bottom of the boat obviously had lots of holes because there was water up to my knees. Slowly the driver pulls away from the side of the battleship and heads for shore.

The water is extremely choppy and I feel like I am in a washing machine. The water is coming up over the edges and some of the more seasick of us are vomiting over the side. As we get closer to the beach, the gunfire starts. Huge columns of water rise around the boat as we get bombarded by artillery and it rocks the boat uncontrollably. We are nearing the beach now, only a couple more hundred metres. That’s when the machineguns start. I hear a huge chattering noise, and I know from our briefing that these guns were the ultimate carnage. Bullets are flying past our heads but we can’t get any lower into the boat because it is so full. Boom! A successful artillery strike clips the side of our boat and everyone is sent sprawling over the side. The poor souls that cannot swim, scream out to me for help. I see them drowning around me, and the heavy pack and gun on my back hamper me from saving them. I crawl up onto the beach and stand alongside my fellow soldiers like in the plan the British set out for us. But we quickly separate after the machine guns mow us down. As I run to the cover of the trenches where the allied troops are beckoning for me to come, I see a man shot in the leg on the ground beside me. I stop for a moment and my troops yell at me to leave him. As I try to pick him up...BANG! The light slowly fades as I taste the tangy, sweet blood that I know is death…[/center:2r8a9lwx]

So Lerky's Literate, what do you think?

Re: Lerkys literate :D - Gallipoli

wow just wow. A very touching story it was great lots of detail you should start to get some diolog in there but I loved it
    please when you finish this story please pm me this is wonderful 18/20

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Sobey
    wow just wow. A very touching story it was great lots of detail you should start to get some diolog in there but I loved it
    please when you finish this story please pm me this is wonderful 18/20
    Thanks, glad someone liked it..but there's no more..

Quote Originally Posted by in the story
    As I try to pick him up...BANG! The light slowly fades as I taste the tangy, sweet blood that I know is death…
    it was a short story for English..so yeah, short.

Enthusiast

That was really good,i actually enjoyed reading for a second there.Good job.

What grade did you get on it?