Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: Project Omega

Project Omega

Just something I've been messing around with in my free time. Hopefully it will turn out to be something.

[center:1xxd6bi3]________________________[/center:1xxd6bi3]

[center:1xxd6bi3]Personal log: Ava : March 16, 2553[/center:1xxd6bi3]
    I just don't know anymore. That damned Alliance scum; of all people, why Robert?
    Dad.
    And me? As captain? It's unbearable. Everyone I know and trust...counting on me for their lives. One misstep, one poor judgment...and we're all gone. I just can't take it yet: waging this endless war our forefathers wrought. It's become more than a battle; more than a war.
    This is our home. This is our life.
    This is our fight.

[center:1xxd6bi3]- End Log -[/center:1xxd6bi3]

“Ava...you can't do this to yourself.”
    Ava looked out towards the stars. Lost in her thoughts, preoccupied with nothing more than the glass of the window. Punishing herself. Unmoving, she stared, almost longingly, outwards from her small room.
    “Really, Ava. You don't know what's going to happen. There's always the chance that he'll-”
    Abruptly, Ava turned. “Don't, Thomas. I'm sick of people telling me that things could be okay, that things could turn for the better.” Tilting her head towards him now, “Just go. I know you're trying to cheer me up, and believe me, I thank you for the sentiment. But I just...I need some more time, all right?”
    Thomas straightened up in the doorway, and with his untraceable European accent, spoke, “All right, if that's what you wish. Just remember, if you need anybody to talk to...”
    “I know you'll be there. Thanks, Thomas.”
    A courteous nod from Thomas, and then he took his leave. The door solemnly slid shut, and Ava began to turn back towards the window, but stopped short. She closed her eyes and uttered a long sigh. A deep breath followed, and she picked up her PAD. She sat down on her bed, and began to write a few notes.
    She chuckled quietly to herself, remembering a saying that her father used to always repeat.
    'We may be out here by ourselves, but you're never by yourself.'
    And he was right, Ava thought. Life aboard the Antigone was lonely, sure. But Ava knew that she wasn't ever truly alone. She had her crew, her friends.
    Her family.

[center:1xxd6bi3]_________________________[/center:1xxd6bi3]

[center:1xxd6bi3]Personal log: Thomas : March 16, 2553[/center:1xxd6bi3]
    Damn it all to hell. Ava is inconsolable, and we're meeting with the Casius in two hours. I doubt Chinh has the mental faculties to meet with Captain Smith. He just got the position, what? Two days ago? I know I wouldn't have wanted the position to save my life. Oh well. I suppose he'll do. In the meantime, I guess I'll just see what I can do about Ava, maybe cook up some of that omelet she enjoys so much...

Chinh paced back and forth on the bridge. He had himself a small path, about a foot in front, but never including the captain's chair. He waited anxiously for Captain Smith's communications; he'd never done anything like this before. Comm tech to Captain is a bit of a stretch, but with Ava out of commission, what other choice did they have? So Chinh paced, his Asian brow furrowed ever so slightly, concentrating on something not yet there.
    Not there, that is, until a small beep nearly gave him a heart attack. He looked towards Ramirez, and she said in her punctuated Hispanic accent, “It's Captain Smith. I'll put her through?”
    Chinh hated that form of question. A statement with a question mark at the end. How appalling. “Yes, go ahead.”
    Up on the main viewscreen, came Captain Smith, many times larger than she was, or so Chinh hoped. She tilted her head slightly, and spoke in a cultured English voice. “Where is Captain West?”
    Clearing his throat, Chinh replied, “She is...indisposed of at the moment. I'm captain-in-command as of now, Chinh Nagaki. I'm sure any and all questions could be addressed to me.”
    A moment to consider, then “All right then. I'll assume you've been briefed on the situation?”
    Chinh nodded.
    “Then you wouldn't mind telling me what the hell is going on?”
    “Ma'am, we've detected an Alliance carrier a few light years away. It's traveling a tenth of what it should be, even cruising. We've also seen a few plasma ventings recently. It can't be in good shape.”
    Captain Smith merely stood, silent, so Chinh continued nervously. “We think we can take it down.”
    At this, Captain Smith looked over her shoulder, and said something to someone offscreen. A few seconds later, and she refocused on Chinh. “Captain Nagaki, we...don't see anything on sensors. And you said that you've seen them?”
    “Without disrespect, ma'am, our sensors are a bit newer than yours. We're tracking it now. If you'd like, I could send over the telemetry.” The last bit was more of a question, exactly what Chinh wanted to avoid.
    “That will be all right, Captain. Perhaps we should discuss this in person. Come on over, docking bay three is open.” Another solemn nod from Chinh. “Good, then. Smith out.”
    Chinh let out a sigh, still staring at the wall where Captain Smith had been mere seconds ago, now emblazoned with the United Terran Space Fleet emblem. He turned, and to Ramirez said, “If you could, find Thomas for me, and get him to the bay. I'll be leaving in five.”
    Ramirez acknowledged this, and began tapping commands into her keyboard, every once in awhile pausing to say something like “Thomas?” or “Thomas, you there?”. Chinh continued walking past the station, though the sliding door, and onto the hallway. He figured it would be a five-minute walk, at a leisurely pace, down to the fighter bay. Being a ship solely designed for combat, The Antigone had only one shuttle, but it was, as was the par for just-off-the-line ships, broken, in one fashion or another. He'd have to fly over in one of the MF/B-322 Mid Range Fighter-Bombers; terribly cramped little things, known affectionately as the 'Valiant', to allude to the caliber of pilot that flew it. Not just anyone got to fly one of these, and Chinh surely wasn't one of them; exactly why he called for Thomas. He was one of five Valiant pilots on the ship, and the only of which Chinh knew.
    As expected, somewhere between three and four minutes into Chinh's walk, Thomas merged with his gait from some adjoining corridor, with his usual upbeat attitude. “So, what is it now? Got me some scummies to blast?”
    Chinh couldn't help but chuckle a bit. 'Scummies' was Fleet slang for what the Alliance used for fighters. Very crudely made, but something can be said for the nature of simplicity. Attacking en-masse, their maneuverability was unrivaled by any Fleet ship to date, save the discontinued EM-30s.
    “No, I haven't, sorry to say. A rather mundane mission, actually. You're to take me over to the Casius, all right?”
    Thomas looked up for a moment, seemingly considering his options. “All right, then. We'll see if we can't rustle up a few G's while we're out, huh?”
    “I'd prefer it if you didn't...” began Chinh, but Thomas cut him off.
    “Oh, what's the worst that could happen? Besides, it's good for you, getting some adrenaline in your system.” said Thomas, slapping Chinh on the back.
    “I'd likely just end up getting some vomit out of my system.”
    Thomas looked over to Chinh, grinning wildly. “Touchè, my good friend.”
    So, they continued joking down the hallway for about another minute, when they hit the bay. Chinh was rather underwhelmed, but, as always, Thomas seemed as if he was seeing the bay for the first time, awe-struck at the very sight of it. He took in a breath of the cold hangar air, and proceeded to converse with Chinh about the three percent computer miscalculations on the Valiants, and how he should be able to skim the hull of the Casius without crashing. Chinh accepted this as Thomas' way of tormenting him, and got into the nearest Valiant, Thomas not far behind.
    “Buckle up, buddy.” said Thomas from the front pilot seat, as he closed the canopy.
    Doing so, Chinh remarked, “With my luck and your piloting skills? I'll need to know where the eject handle is.”
    “Harsh words from the passenger to the pilot, my friend.” Feigning grief for a moment, Thomas perked up. “Okay, then. Jackson, how's the weather?”
    Without so much as three second's delay, “Clear and sunny, Tom. You're good to go.”
    “Oh, you do know how much I hate that nickna-”
    “Launching.”
    At this, both Chinh and Thomas were pressed into their seats, the Valiant being accelerated to launch speed. Thomas exclaimed a long, “Yeeeee-haaw!” as the small fighter-bomber left the solid ground of the bay, while Chinh merely tried to keep his lunch. Thomas immediately pulled into a sharp 'upwards' turn, what with movement being relative in space, and hit the afterburners. Chinh gritted his teeth, and as the G-forces slowly wore off, he took his first breath since launch.
    “You do realize I'm going to kill you, right, Thomas?”
    Thomas chuckled a bit. “Well, I figured. But just you remember, that eject handle's over here.”
    The little ship flew in the darkness between two goliaths, the Casius and the Antigone, it being but a speck in the void.

[center:1xxd6bi3]_________________________[/center:1xxd6bi3]

[center:1xxd6bi3]Log Entry: Martus 16, 250 : Marah[/center:1xxd6bi3]
    It really does break my heart, seeing the kids grow up like and Nahm and I. I do wish they had a proper place to grow up, instead of this floating can. But, what can we really do? Nahm's done what he can, I suppose, putting together the 'playground' on C, I just hope it's enough. It's sure as hell more than we had. But, Nahm and I turned out fine, right?

Marah and Nahm watched as the children played. Or what could be called playing. Marah had to admit, though, Nahm did an outstanding job. A few unused pipes, reborn as a slide. A chair and some cables, now a swing. All painstakingly sanded down to assure the children's' safety. With that much known, Marah and Nahm sat by the wall of the small room, leaning back, and discussed various things now and again, nothing of which heralded much importance. Eventually, as the children continued to relentlessly play, sweet sleep began to drift over both Marah and Nahm, who promptly dozed off.
    They slept for mere moments, until a dreadful noise blared from above them. “Marah! Nahm! Get your asses to a comm, dammit!”
    Marah looked up, and backhanded the comm on the wall she was sleeping on. Still full of sleep, she responded. “What is it now, Daraeal?”
    “Oh, look who's up. One of the damnable thrusters blew. Again. Get your lazy asses down to engineering. Now.”
    Marah shook what sleep was left in her, stood up, and stretched. She looked down at Nahm, still fast asleep, and nudged him. “Hey, come on. Daraeal needs us down in engineering.”
    Nahm didn't wake, but merely shifted a bit, emitting some incomprehensible noise.
    So Marah kicked him. “Get up! We're screwed enough as it is, and I don't need you making it any worse.”
    Nahm rolled his head up to look at Marah. “Worse? We can actually get worse? Wow. And here I thought we'd hit rock bottom.”
    “Very funny. Let's go, I'll get you some of what passes for coffee on the way.”
    Nahm jumped to his feet. “Now you're talking.” He paused for a moment, “Hey! I like that shit.”
    Marah gave in to some jovial laughter, before turning to the children, somehow still playing. “Kids, play nice until we get back, all right? If you need anything...” She stopped to think a second, “...Call Daraeal, okay?”
    All of the children responded in unison, as is their wont, “Yes, Miss Marah!”
    Marah turned to Nahm, who was 'holding' the door open. It was automatic, given, but Nahm felt the need to mess with Marah for waking him up. “Let's go, shall we?”
    Marah plowed through Nahm, and took a left.
    “Grouchy, are we?”
    “Not particularly. You're just an ass.”
    “Oh, shush. Just another great day in the Alliance, eh?”
    “If you were planetside, sure. Out here? Not so much. Where's the nearest sun, anyway?”
    For some reason, Nahm checked his watch. “About...Fifty light years out.” He looked towards Marah a moment. “What? My point's still valid. Wonderful day.” He said the last bit with closed eyes, looking away, his arms crossed. His 'snooty' impression.
    Marah laughed and shoved Nahm, making him briefly collide with the wall. “I guess it is. For now. Just wait 'till we get down to engineering. God knows what's wrong with the thrusters this time.”
    “Wait, what about that coffee you promised me?”
    “Okay, I lied. No more coffee for you, you get too damn hyper.”
    “Hyper?” said Nahm as he seemingly peered into his mind. “Oh, right. Hyper.”
    “Dumbass.”
    “And proud of it, sis.”
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

Re: Project Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph
    Chinh was rather underwhelmed, but, as always, Thomas seemed as if he was [s:2ihp1wii]to be[/s:2ihp1wii] seeing the bay for the first time, [s:2ihp1wii]being[/s:2ihp1wii] awe-struck at the very sight of it.
    I think that sounds a bit better.

Well that's pretty much all I have to suggest for the writing with a quick skim.
    Very good.

I liked the whole first part of the story, but I was a bit confused as it switched to Marah and Nahm. I'd probably like a little better description of their situation. Of course that's only with that small passage though, so I really can't complain yet.
    [center:3346oc0h][/center:3346oc0h]
    [center:3346oc0h]Blog Anims Art[/center:3346oc0h]

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTi5
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenomorph
    Chinh was rather underwhelmed, but, as always, Thomas seemed as if he was [s:3nit7qai]to be[/s:3nit7qai] seeing the bay for the first time, [s:3nit7qai]being[/s:3nit7qai] awe-struck at the very sight of it.
    I think that sounds a bit better.

Well that's pretty much all I have to suggest for the writing with a quick skim.
    Very good.

I liked the whole first part of the story, but I was a bit confused as it switched to Marah and Nahm. I'd probably like a little better description of their situation. Of course that's only with that small passage though, so I really can't complain yet.
    But of course. I'm adding to it as we speak. Thanks for the input.

As a matter of fact, I may be bored enough to add to Regenesis...maybe.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y

Quote Originally Posted by CodeMachine
    “Don't, Thomas. I'm sick of people telling me that things could be okay, that things could turn for the better.”
    Ah, thank you.
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y