Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wilio

Thread: Manga

Manga

Not sure where to post this so you mods/admins can move it wherever you want

I don't know if there's any manga reader on DarkDemon, but the possibility of none is close to impossible. So I'm actually going to build a big thread on manga where I will introduce to you some worth reading manga that I either like or I don't like, but are recommendable to a certain audience.

Table of Content

• 1. Getting Started[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • [/*:f65g3v1r]
    • 2. Resources
      [list:f65g3v1r]
    • What to read?[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • Where to read?[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • [/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    [/*:m:f65g3v1r][*][/*:m:f65g3v1r][*]3. Manga worth reading[/*:m:f65g3v1r][*]
    • Action[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • Science-Fiction[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • Drama[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • Slice of Life[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • Comedy[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • Horror[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    • Mystery/thriller[/*:m:f65g3v1r]
    [/*:m:f65g3v1r][*]4. Conclusion[/*:m:f65g3v1r][/list:u:f65g3v1r]

1. Getting Started

I've been living under a rock, what is a manga?

By definition, a manga is a comic made by and for a Japanese public. Of course it is known to use a well known art style with somehow realistic bodies, big eyes and such. This is why that a manga is rather associated with the actual art style, ignoring the fact about the real definition. This thread will keep the term manga to its original sense. There are not only Japaneses who works in comics, but also Chinese and South-Koreans. A chinese comic is called a manhua and a South-Korean comic is called a manwha.

Manga lacks the entertainment factor found in anime such as animation, sound and music

It is true that some will always enjoy anime more than manga for these obvious reasons. However there are some who can't stand anime for the same reasons. One of the reason peoples can't get into anime is because of the high pitch voice acting that is very typical. There isn't this problem with manga since it requires reading. Also, with a manga you can go at your own pace. When you watch an anime, one minute of watching is the same for everyone.

Is that why manga is better?

Certainly not, I love manga as much as I love anime and it is a fun to jump in between. If anime gets tiring, read manga and vice versa. There is however one aspect that manga will always have better than anime and that is liberty of expression. Anime are produced from studios that most of the time have one thing in mind : make money. The number of anime that actually makes profit compared to the number of anime that is released is very low. For example, anime studio Gonzo which was a fairly big studio had to close in 2009. Their deficits were estimated over 30 millions dollar. Most mangaka, which is not a wealthy job in the first place, don't have problems with the idea of making profit. This is why that in term of liberty and originality, manga will always have the advantage. Of course, anime is not without its moment, but that's not the point of this thread.

Can manga be considered as a form of literature

Manga is not literature as a bird is not a seagull. The fact that manga can be considered literature is debatable. Sure thing, your typical fan service and fighting young boy manga is far away from the definition of literature, but some other series are as deep and thoughtful as any other novels out there.

Well you got me interested

If so, you can proceed.

2. Resources

What to read?

You can always start with this thread that has a fair amount of recommendation, but there are some websites out there that can help you on this matter.

MyAnimeList

MAL is primarily a database website for anime, but they also have a manga database. To help you you can either look the top manga list or the most popular ones. If you feel like registering, there is a forum for manga recommendations with member that have read/know a lot more than me. If you don't feel like registering, but know some friends who go there, you can always take a look at their list.

Animenewsnetwork

This website will pretty much be worthless if you already have MAL. They have an encyclopedia for manga, but the navigation is very complicated. I wouldn't recommend this site, but sometime MAL is a slow bitch.

Anime-Planet

This is basically the same thing as MAL. If someone doesn't go on MAL, he goes on Anime-Planet and vice versa.

Where to read?

Now that is a very interesting question. Since manga are quite expensive (15$ for a volume) it is inevitable that you'll have to read on the computer. There are large websites out there that can help you with this, however the best solution still remains searching on Google. Let's say for example that I want to read "Young boy and his army of little girls". All I have to do is search these queries on Google:

Code:
    Read "Young boy and his army of little girls" manga online
    If you want to read it on a website

or

Code:
    Download "Young boy and his army of little girls" manga
    If you want to download it directly on your hard drive.

3. Manga worth reading

All manga will be provided with a link to its page on MAL where you can get all the information you need.

All mature content manga will have a (m) before the title
    My personal favorites will have a "*"

Action

Science-Fiction

Drama

Slice of Life

Comedy

Horror

Most of these titles are mature, only those with a (g) before the title aren't.

There are many Higurashi manga already, but I chose this one since it is a manga only story, where as the other stories can be found in the two anime series

Mystery Thriller

4. Conclusion

I actually didn't read all those manga in this thread, nor did I find them to be all good for the ones I read. For example, I think Bitter Virgin is a very cheesy manga, but it's perfect for anyone who feels like reading cheap drama. However, I think they are perfect examples of what can be found into a genre. The goal of this thread is to enlighten others about what manga can really be and this is why I tried the most possible to diversify the genre/ drawing/ demography and etc. For those who'd like to know which are my favorites manga to date, well here is my top 5 in order:

1. Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
    2. Planetes
    3. Berserk
    4. Blame!
    5. Saikano

Re: Manga

Uzumaki is awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

who cares

i enjoy umazaki usually, but i've heard of this other horror manga called "multiplication." pretty chilling, although entertaining at the same time.
    nope
    steam id: specialbacon

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    i enjoy umazaki usually, but i've heard of this other horror manga called "multiplication." pretty chilling, although entertaining at the same time.
    If this the manga I think you're talking about,

I wouldn't call multiplication horror, but more of avant-garde. Multiplication is one of the many one-shot manga from Shintaro Kago and he is known for his wild imagination. From what I've read from it, "Abstraction" is his most fucked up and "Suck It" is the best one he did. The later wasn't so graphically intense as his other ones, but has a way bigger impact since it keeps a sense of realism.

Side Note : There is also Gyo from Junji Ito(Uzumaki author) that is really worth the read.

I just skimmed over it, but I noticed that you didn't put Anime Freak as a resource. Its a good place to go.
    http://www.animefreak.tv/
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

Quote Originally Posted by Camel
    I just skimmed over it, but I noticed that you didn't put Anime Freak as a resource. Its a good place to go.
    http://www.animefreak.tv/
    The resource I put on the OP is only for manga information and not websites to read online. I was skeptic to actually have resources for reading online so I gave my Google trick.

Ok, here's an idea. I've been thinking of having a manga of the week kind of thing for relatively short manga series (of about 10-30 chapters). Therefore, we can discuss about its pros and cons.