Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: My work

Big Boss

My work

[center:1uhx1o1m]Download[/center:1uhx1o1m]

[spoiler:1uhx1o1m][center:1uhx1o1m]Thoughts on the universe and the human species[/center:1uhx1o1m]

A new dawn awaits us; not of the rising run, but of the rising universe. A morning filled with life, human biology, the study of a man's mind, and the universal feeling of belonging. Many ideas are strewn across the atmosphere in the form of spittle or the electrical impulses of neurons. We are able to wake from slumber of visions, to the simplest thought of the concept of the number one, to theorizing gravity. The brain does much more than just recollect, it intercompares, synthesizes, analyzes, and generates abstractions. Our brain has its own language for testing the structure and consistency of the world. All of this is the miraculous experience that is life; for I am human, humbly human.
    Humans did not evolve due to our choosing, but rather by whether the ball will land on black or red, even or odd; a gamble. Through natural selection traits are developed as we adapt to the environment and then those traits are carried on by our offspring, eliminating the recessive. Eventually this lead to the evolution of the human species, and when we evolved, our brains enlarged; when we evolved we developed communication and adapted. The result of the gamble carved the way for us to become the dominate species of Earth. The manipulation of our environment is a key factor in all of this, and perhaps this is what dictates us as the dominate and what differentiates us from the rest of the species on Earth, besides intellect. Through all of this, science shows its presence, and to be scientifically literate the world looks very different to you. We are able to conduct experiments and make theories of the vast universe through reason and logic. Simply put: we are intricate molecular machinery that represents the complex tree of the history of life.
    As the seeds of life developed, so did our yearning of the stars. First we thought that Earth was the center of the universe and the sun and all the planets revolving around us. However we soon learned the truth with the help of Nicolaus Copernicus and Galileo Galilei. This destroyed the geo-
    centrism theory and replaced it with heliocentrism, and forever was the world changed after this discovery. The scientific revolution led to many other great findings and advances in areas such as medicine and physics. Perhaps this is the beginning of when the faint hum of celestial gyros were in the audible range for humans; when we set our eyes upon the galaxy. As we developed our understanding of all things science, we were able to develop great machinery which lead us out into the vastness of a black starry sea; space. We willed men on the moon, and so accomplished it through space shuttles that escaped Earths gravity. Landing on the moon signified a new era in human history: space travel was now a possibility. Humans have strived for the understanding of everything through technology and to expand our intellect. Mechanical prosthetic arms are now publicly available for the handicapped. We can now imprint circuits on a man's skin and perform incredible feats such as accelerated healing and increased data processing in the brain. But the universe is a vast open sea where all of our advance-
    ments and breakthroughs are small in relativity to the big picture; we are speck on Earth; Earth a speck in a galaxy, and the galaxy a speck in the universe. But I am still life. I inhale oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. I can still retain balance on my two feet and grasp a cup with my opposable thumb. I am simple in my purpose but effective in its capture; I am a living thing apart of a universe in tune.
    Now we can magnify on us, the tiny speck. We are all connected to eachother biologically; to the Earth, chemically; to the rest of the universe, atomically. We are made of trillions of cells, each a triumph to Natural Selection. All cells express different tissue specific types of genes for their specific function. Kidney cells will express kidney specific genes, while the heart will express heart specific genes. This allows cells to be specialized in function, and this is how we have organs performing tasks such as filtering blood; each specialized cell will work in unison with other specialized cells, creating an organ such as the liver, or a muscle. A totipotent embryonic stem cell has the potential to become any type of specialized cell, depending on the environment or other cells nearby. This allows us to make new specialized cells or organs for uses such as diabetes or fighting cancer which can become weaved into into our DNA in the form of artificial selection. As such, each cells' genes are passed down through our offspring, allowing the evolution of the human species. Passing on our genetic code allows us to never truly die. We are passing on our selves, our genetic make-up that makes us who we are, whether we have blue eyes or brown hair. Then our kids have their own offspring that passes down their DNA and ours. We are leaving a biological footnote through the ages, and by so doing doing we are continuing the unbroken thread between all of the humans in the world. Each living thing is beautiful, and the beauty of the living thing is not the atoms that go into it, but how the atoms are put together.
    Through all of this we can truly say we have achieved greatness through history. We can look upon ourselves and think of our origins and guide ourselves into a new light. Artificial selection, advancements in science to religion, it's all a great product of the play we host on a great stage. I sit here with a Rembrandt glow on my face and a René Descartes philosophy of reason. I have two glasses that sit before me; one that has but a single drop of knowledge and experience in my life; the other full to the brim, sometimes spilling and splashing over with questions that will never be answered. But alas, I can truly say after all that has been said: I am at peace.[/spoiler:1uhx1o1m]

[spoiler:1uhx1o1m]There were no happy endings. Not like the ones you saw on TV or the ones you read in children’s books. All of that was bullshit and the living proof was lying before me in a ragdoll, blood forming around his temple and fingers. Little specks of pink matter were floating around the blood, along with pieces of his skull where the bullet shattered it, where it created the hole to his brain. All of this happened in a matter of seconds, the catalyst a man with an itchy trigger finger and a psychotic nature to boot. He was standing about 5ft away from me, if even that, with a shit eating grin on his face and a look that just begged to be carved with a steak knife. His name was Blade, and he was holding a .357 in his right hand by his side in an arrogant fashion. He began to thumb the leather grip on the handle and to lick his lips.
    “Need some chapstick Blade? I think I have some in my jacket,” I said.
    “Not necessary, but thanks all the same. I’m sorry about your friend Peter, but he had it coming. One cannot simply fuck with me and expect to not be untouched, and that man did a lot of fucking.”
    “Shut the fuck up Blade! Freak did nothing to you, you didn’t have to murder him!”
    “But I did. He was getting too involved with the police, and that’s not good for my business Peter, you know that.”
    “Fuck your business. Fuck you! I’m going to make you choke on your dick you motherfucker!”
    “Now can’t we be civil and talk with some manners? You two knew what you were getting involved with when you joined my gang. It’s not my fault that your little friend was getting such a moral hard on!” Blade’s face grew from calm to angry and began to jab the gun in the air towards my head. He spat toward Freak’s head, where it landed in the blood and began to mix.
    “Why don’t you do yourself a favor Blade.”
    “And what’s that Peter?” Blade’s face began to grow calm again.
    “Why don’t you take that gun and stick it up your ass.” Blade cocked his head back and gave off a single “Hah.” He began to smooth his hair back with his left hand while his right was fixated on my head. This was insanity at its finest, a kind of fine chaos that only Blade and I could love. When Freak and I joined the gang, we were very close friends. I guess you could say that Freak taught me everything I knew. We didn’t have much, and living was hard, but Blade offered us an opportunity to thrive. We wouldn’t be alone again; we would have a family to support us always and a father to look out for us when we got a boo-boo. But things got a little out of control for Freak. He began to feel guilty about the stealing, began to have really bad guilt trips about the things he did. It didn’t help that Blade and I were becoming better friends than Freak and I ever were. Freak was beginning to go soft, and I was the one who noticed that, I was the one to tell Blade that he was going to be trouble for us. I expected Blade to do something, maybe have a talk with him or something, but murder? That was too much for a supposed to be family.
    “What’s with that stupid look on your face Peter?” Blade now had the gun at his side again. His hair was wet and sticking up everywhere.
    “I was just thinking about old times. How this came to be… You know, Blade, you’re right. Freak was going to be the end of us all and this was the only choice. He was never going to just walk away, that’s not his thing. He would’ve gotten the police involved and got us all locked up. He was always a snitch. You had to tie up the loose ends, or this would’ve ended badly for us.” Blade was silent for a while. He began to thumb the leather grip again and lick his lips.
    “We always did share the same views, it just always took you longer to come around.”
    “Yeah… So how’s a truce sound? Better than two grown men fighting, huh?” As if to answer Blade stuck his left hand out. I stood there for some time then started to walk towards him with my left hand out, anticipating the handshake. Our hands met and Blade shook once and gave me a small nod of agreement.
    “Great minds think alike or some corny shit like that,” Blade said with a grin. I took his hand and twisted it over my head and made a maneuver to his back where I pulled his arm upwards to immobilize him. I then snatched the gun from his right hand and let it fit into the curves of my left hand. It was a flawless fit, like a shoe I had lost and found again.
    I pushed him away from me and he twisted around to meet the barrel of the gun. Less than 1ft away; I don’t think he has much of a chance to outrun a bullet. Blade’s face became distorted in a funny way. He was expressing pleasure, not terror that most people would show.
    “Oh, how devious! How I love it! I should have never fallen for that.”
    “You’re only human, and that allows you some mistakes Blade. Even if it is fatal.”
    “Did you like it when I pulled that trigger? When Freak wasn’t even looking and he thought he was safe? When he thought he was being let go? I did. His false sense of security almost made me laugh in his face! You’re going to die Freakie, and you have no clue! Hah!” I hit Blade in the face with the butt of the gun which caused his right cheek bone to fracture and bleed as he stumbled backwards.
    “Is that all you got Peter! I’m sure when you were sucking Freak’s dick you were giving it all you had!” I began to beat Blade senseless then, to the point where his face wasn’t recognizable anymore. I was beating on his face like a drum, and most of his face was concaved from all the bones collapsing. His left eye couldn’t open and his right was about to pop out from the swelling. His mouth wouldn’t stop ushering blood and teeth. All Blade did was grunt a laugh every other punch.
    I got up from his motionless body with no sense of retribution for Freak or for me. Blade was grunting something incoherent and slobbering red saliva now, but I knew he was laughing. I took the .357 and placed it on his temple where I let it sit for a little bit. I pulled the trigger and blood and pieces of skull flew upwards. Some of the blood spattered across my face and bone hit me on the cheek and forehead. There was no more sense in this. I walked over to Freak and pulled him over onto his back and stuck my hand in his front shirt pocket for his cell phone. I dialed 9-1-1 and put the phone to my ear. I didn’t hear the person on the other end; I was too numb for that. I said:
    “There has been two murders here. The south docks in warehouse 4-E.” Without waiting for an answer I ended the call and put the cell phone back in Freak’s shirt pocket.
    I stepped outside and took a seat on the gravel in the alleyway next door, and there I sat. I sat for what seemed like hours but in reality was only 2 minutes. The cops were fast and sirens were now audible. I could hear them opening the gate and yelling at each other about how the murderer could still be on scene if this wasn’t just a prank call. I looked down at this .357 in my right hand and thumbed the leather grip and licked my lips, and with my left I helped myself to my feet. I stumbled two steps out to the mouth of the alleyway before a cop ran the corner and pulled his gun on me.
    “Freeze! Drop the gun and put your hands on your head!”
    I looked down at my gun and began to fidget it in my hand. Two more cops ran around the corner and stood by the first with their guns drawn.
    “Drop the gun and put your hands on your head!”
    I gave them a grin and raised the gun and attempted to fire it towards the moon, but the police began to fire before I had a chance. The gunshots felt like stings, and the debris kicked up from stray bullets would’ve hurt too, but I was too numb. The .357 fell from my hand and I fell backwards and began to writhe in pain, but I soon couldn’t feel a thing anymore. My blood already worked its way to my head and it tasted sour. I saw the world zoom in and out in white flashes and still no thoughts would come to mind. Scratch that, I had one and I said it aloud:
    “I’m sorry Freak.”
    I then closed my eyes and let the demons feast on my flesh, slurp on my blood and take my soul to Hell. It wasn’t so bad, considering.[/spoiler:1uhx1o1m]

Something that I wrote for my English class, so I thought I would share. Hope you enjoy.

1 Post Lurker

Re: My work

It was interesting to read, thanks for sharing! You are definitely talented at writing, you have a good command of the language and I absolutely love your imagery. Keep writing and good luck!

Big Boss

Re: My work

Just an update:

[spoiler:3uzpdry1]There were no happy endings. Not like the ones you saw on TV or the ones you read in children’s books. All of that was bullshit and the living proof was lying before me in a ragdoll, blood forming around his temple and fingers. Little specks of pink matter were floating around the blood, along with pieces of his skull where the bullet shattered it, where it created the hole to his brain. All of this happened in a matter of seconds, the catalyst a man with an itchy trigger finger and a psychotic nature to boot. He was standing about 5ft away from me, if even that, with a shit eating grin on his face and a look that just begged to be carved with a steak knife. His name was Blade, and he was holding a .357 in his right hand by his side in an arrogant fashion. He began to thumb the leather grip on the handle and to lick his lips.
    “Need some chapstick Blade? I think I have some in my jacket,” I said.
    “Not necessary, but thanks all the same. I’m sorry about your friend Peter, but he had it coming. One cannot simply fuck with me and expect to not be untouched, and that man did a lot of fucking.”
    “Shut the fuck up Blade! Freak did nothing to you, you didn’t have to murder him!”
    “But I did. He was getting too involved with the police, and that’s not good for my business Peter, you know that.”
    “Fuck your business. Fuck you! I’m going to make you choke on your dick you motherfucker!”
    “Now can’t we be civil and talk with some manners? You two knew what you were getting involved with when you joined my gang. It’s not my fault that your little friend was getting such a moral hard on!” Blade’s face grew from calm to angry and began to jab the gun in the air towards my head. He spat toward Freak’s head, where it landed in the blood and began to mix.
    “Why don’t you do yourself a favor Blade.”
    “And what’s that Peter?” Blade’s face began to grow calm again.
    “Why don’t you take that gun and stick it up your ass.” Blade cocked his head back and gave off a single “Hah.” He began to smooth his hair back with his left hand while his right was fixated on my head. This was insanity at its finest, a kind of fine chaos that only Blade and I could love. When Freak and I joined the gang, we were very close friends. I guess you could say that Freak taught me everything I knew. We didn’t have much, and living was hard, but Blade offered us an opportunity to thrive. We wouldn’t be alone again; we would have a family to support us always and a father to look out for us when we got a boo-boo. But things got a little out of control for Freak. He began to feel guilty about the stealing, began to have really bad guilt trips about the things he did. It didn’t help that Blade and I were becoming better friends than Freak and I ever were. Freak was beginning to go soft, and I was the one who noticed that, I was the one to tell Blade that he was going to be trouble for us. I expected Blade to do something, maybe have a talk with him or something, but murder? That was too much for a supposed to be family.
    “What’s with that stupid look on your face Peter?” Blade now had the gun at his side again. His hair was wet and sticking up everywhere.
    “I was just thinking about old times. How this came to be… You know, Blade, you’re right. Freak was going to be the end of us all and this was the only choice. He was never going to just walk away, that’s not his thing. He would’ve gotten the police involved and got us all locked up. He was always a snitch. You had to tie up the loose ends, or this would’ve ended badly for us.” Blade was silent for a while. He began to thumb the leather grip again and lick his lips.
    “We always did share the same views, it just always took you longer to come around.”
    “Yeah… So how’s a truce sound? Better than two grown men fighting, huh?” As if to answer Blade stuck his left hand out. I stood there for some time then started to walk towards him with my left hand out, anticipating the handshake. Our hands met and Blade shook once and gave me a small nod of agreement.
    “Great minds think alike or some corny shit like that,” Blade said with a grin. I took his hand and twisted it over my head and made a maneuver to his back where I pulled his arm upwards to immobilize him. I then snatched the gun from his right hand and let it fit into the curves of my left hand. It was a flawless fit, like a shoe I had lost and found again.
    I pushed him away from me and he twisted around to meet the barrel of the gun. Less than 1ft away; I don’t think he has much of a chance to outrun a bullet. Blade’s face became distorted in a funny way. He was expressing pleasure, not terror that most people would show.
    “Oh, how devious! How I love it! I should have never fallen for that.”
    “You’re only human, and that allows you some mistakes Blade. Even if it is fatal.”
    “Did you like it when I pulled that trigger? When Freak wasn’t even looking and he thought he was safe? When he thought he was being let go? I did. His false sense of security almost made me laugh in his face! You’re going to die Freakie, and you have no clue! Hah!” I hit Blade in the face with the butt of the gun which caused his right cheek bone to fracture and bleed as he stumbled backwards.
    “Is that all you got Peter! I’m sure when you were sucking Freak’s dick you were giving it all you had!” I began to beat Blade senseless then, to the point where his face wasn’t recognizable anymore. I was beating on his face like a drum, and most of his face was concaved from all the bones collapsing. His left eye couldn’t open and his right was about to pop out from the swelling. His mouth wouldn’t stop ushering blood and teeth. All Blade did was grunt a laugh every other punch.
    I got up from his motionless body with no sense of retribution for Freak or for me. Blade was grunting something incoherent and slobbering red saliva now, but I knew he was laughing. I took the .357 and placed it on his temple where I let it sit for a little bit. I pulled the trigger and blood and pieces of skull flew upwards. Some of the blood spattered across my face and bone hit me on the cheek and forehead. There was no more sense in this. I walked over to Freak and pulled him over onto his back and stuck my hand in his front shirt pocket for his cell phone. I dialed 9-1-1 and put the phone to my ear. I didn’t hear the person on the other end; I was too numb for that. I said:
    “There has been two murders here. The south docks in warehouse 4-E.” Without waiting for an answer I ended the call and put the cell phone back in Freak’s shirt pocket.
    I stepped outside and took a seat on the gravel in the alleyway next door, and there I sat. I sat for what seemed like hours but in reality was only 2 minutes. The cops were fast and sirens were now audible. I could hear them opening the gate and yelling at each other about how the murderer could still be on scene if this wasn’t just a prank call. I looked down at this .357 in my right hand and thumbed the leather grip and licked my lips, and with my left I helped myself to my feet. I stumbled two steps out to the mouth of the alleyway before a cop ran the corner and pulled his gun on me.
    “Freeze! Drop the gun and put your hands on your head!”
    I looked down at my gun and began to fidget it in my hand. Two more cops ran around the corner and stood by the first with their guns drawn.
    “Drop the gun and put your hands on your head!”
    I gave them a grin and raised the gun and attempted to fire it towards the moon, but the police began to fire before I had a chance. The gunshots felt like stings, and the debris kicked up from stray bullets would’ve hurt too, but I was too numb. The .357 fell from my hand and I fell backwards and began to writhe in pain, but I soon couldn’t feel a thing anymore. My blood already worked its way to my head and it tasted sour. I saw the world zoom in and out in white flashes and still no thoughts would come to mind. Scratch that, I had one and I said it aloud:
    “I’m sorry Freak.”
    I then closed my eyes and let the demons feast on my flesh, slurp on my blood and take my soul to Hell. It wasn’t so bad, considering.[/spoiler:3uzpdry1]