I found this post in my saved posts from almost a year ago. I got all high and mighty and thought I could help some people out because I'm the best author out there, or so I had thought at the time. This was is an overzealous attempt of making me feel superior on the internet. But for some reason, to which I don't complain, I never finished this thing. I feel I should post this anyways and I want everyone to throw in their personal tips. Writing is an art, and like every art it is preformed and interpreted differently by every person. I tried too hard to make this structured, but there is some useful information here nonetheless.

Please post your tips on writing, whether it be poetry, lyrics, short stories or any style of literature at all! I want to see what makes your writing style yours!

-GMOF

Are you serious about writing a short story?

Hello Everyone! I am here to help anyone I possibly can. I am going to attempt at making a nice tutorial for anyone who wants to write a short story! This is a comprehensive list of the tips I have recieved during my writing career!

I hope I can help a few aspiring writer out! Enjoy!

[center:fyxtaaq9]Lets begin with the basics. What is a short story?[/center:fyxtaaq9]
Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Kennedy once
"A short story begins as close to the conclusion as possible, and grabs the reader from the very first line. It conserves character and scenes, typically focuses on just one problem, and drives towards a sudden unexpected revelation."
When taking this into account, you have the capability to greatly improve the quality of your short story!
-Try to snag the reader's attention from the get-go
-Keep your story focused on the plot

But wait! Are you having trouble getting your story started? You have a great idea but no character to throw in? That is okay! Here is a nice list of things to keep in mind when creating your fictional character!

BASICS
-Name (any nickname? if so why?)
-Date of birth
PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
-Noticeable features
-Height/weight
-Hair color/type
FAVORITES
-What does your character like/dislike and why
-Favorite/least favorite color and why
-Favorite music/food/book etc.
HABITS
-Smokes/drinks (if so how much/why?)
-Hobbies
-Religion
FAMILY
-Mother/Father/siblings

I think you get the idea. Now, there is no need to state all of the character's information in the beginning, but have the character's information handy helps TONS when you are developing you short story!

[center:fyxtaaq9]Have your character but cannot think of a good plot?[/center:fyxtaaq9]
Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor once
"If you are having trouble getting started, look out the window. The whole world is a story, and every moment is a miracle."
I know that everyone gets writer's block every once in a while, its natural! Just read a book, play a video game or call up some old memories for inspiration.

Getting Started!

-Who is your protagonist/antagonists? What do they want?
-What actions have they already taken to get what they want?
-What is the setting? Set the mood, the feel for your story!
-Introduce your conflict!
-Know your point of view (1st, 2nd, 3rd person)

Grabbing Your Reader!
You have your plot and your character! But wait, how can you begin the story to grab the attention of the reader? Try to start with something unusual, the unexpected, an action or a conflict (Man V Man/Nature/Society/Machine). Begin with some kind of tension and immediately. Remember that a short story needs to stay relatively short!

Now come the part everyone loves!!! Dialogue!
Dialogue can be a tricky thing in short stories, or even in writing all together! When incorporating dialogue into a short story, keep in mind that a little detail goes a long way! Try to explain the thoughts of your character without "telling" them. For example:

"Where are you going?" John asked nervously. (this is "telling")
John sat up. "Wh-where are you going?" (this is dynamic, but short and sweet)

More Dialogue Tips
I could say, write the dialogue like how you would say it, or your character would, but that would not always work out so well... Try to keep the dialogue flowing, without making it long and unnatural. Try to avoid clichè sayings and predictable lines. If it sounds cheesy in your head, it probably is!

Setting Up the Plot!
Now you should have a nice starting point for writing! Now its time to actually write the good stuff.

[center:fyxtaaq9]Now what exactly is a plot?[/center:fyxtaaq9]
Quote Originally Posted by Jane Burroway once
A plot is a series of events deliberately arranged so as to reveal their dramatic, thematic, and emotion significance.