Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tsu
    Fanatic Enthusiast

Music: Genres and YOU

It seems that a lot of people like whats popular, the new fergie song or the new "hit" by justin timberlake. But why? Is it because everyone else likes them, or have you just not found YOUR genre?

For instance, i, as a kid, liked what was popular. But now as i've matured, and heard all kinds of music, i've found what i liked. Now i cant effin stand that crap i used to listen to, And i LOVE specific genres. Like seriously theres certain songs that i love to death, that never get old.

So although most of you may not have found what you TRULY like, you will, and you'll come to see why you get flamed for posting topics based on MCR or Eminim (or however you spell that fags "name") You'll see why music is so important to some people.

Now you dont have to think certain music is good JUST BECAUSE all of your friends like them. Just because they think its good, doesnt mean that you, based on your ACTUAL opinion, should. Go on itunes and preview some genre's, and maybe you'll find that genre that makes you feel all giddy inside.

And if you dont even know what the word "genre" means:

Its another word for "type" (basically).
    A genre for instance is:
    Rock
    rap
    metal
    hardcore
    grindcore
    And so on.

Dedicated Member

Re: Music: Genres and YOU

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuchinoko
    It seems that a lot of people like whats popular, the new fergie song or the new "hit" by justin timberlake. But why? Is it because everyone else likes them, or have you just not found YOUR genre?

For instance, i, as a kid, liked what was popular. But now as i've matured, and heard all kinds of music, i've found what i liked. Now i cant effin stand that crap i used to listen to, And i LOVE specific genres. Like seriously theres certain songs that i love to death, that never get old.

So although most of you may not have found what you TRULY like, you will, and you'll come to see why you get flamed for posting topics based on MCR or Eminim (or however you spell that fags "name") You'll see why music is so important to some people.

Now you dont have to think certain music is good JUST BECAUSE all of your friends like them. Just because they think its good, doesnt mean that you, based on your ACTUAL opinion, should. Go on itunes and preview some genre's, and maybe you'll find that genre that makes you feel all giddy inside.

And if you dont even know what the word "genre" means:

Its another word for "type" (basically).
    A genre for instance is:
    Rock
    rap
    metal
    hardcore
    grindcore
    And so on.
    Okay, you're right for the most part on the popular music part. I, however, find that there is some really great stuff that's popular now. And I used to hate anything popular for that reason: it was popular. Now as I've matured, I know not to hastily block myself away from some potentially great music.

I don't really like genres. When I was a bit younger, I, like you, assumed genres to mean other good music. I liked Bloc Party, so I figured "hey why not listen to everything else that sounds like them?". I found out quickly that not everything in that genre was good, it just sounded a lot like Bloc Party.

From this, I've learned to not care about genres. I used to hate all rap but now I really like it. I've found good folk music, rap music, and everything else.

So sure, some people enjoy sticking to genres, but if you're trying to use this as a way to expand minds musically it doesn't work. At least, I think not.
    IN RAINBOWS

http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/TIKWIDMUSIC
    IN / RAINBOWS
    IN RAIN/BOWS
    IN RAINBOW/S
    IN RAINBOWS/

Tsu
    Fanatic Enthusiast
    Yeah your right, its true that if you like some certain genres, that there are definantly some songs in that genre that you ont like. Good point. I for instance, like a couple folk songs, but only a couple.

Popular music is often popular for a reason. Thousands of people can't be wrong lol. Sure, there's some awful artists out there who have way too much popularity to be allowed.

Speaking as one metal fan to another, I know you love underoath and the dillinger escape plan. I seriously can't understand that, but I know they're massively popular. Either I'm blind to your taste in music, or you're a hypocrite. The exact same can be said for chart music. Just because you don't understand why someone likes a certain artist is no need to tell them they have no "musical knowledge" or whatever. :P
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Well, to put it bluntly -

Rock ftw.

Anyways, I also like almost any song with a good beat to it, lol...

Classical is to flowing...no drums, lol

But rock has a great beat, and so does techno (It's a genre now O_o)

Some...not rap...um...hip-hop, i suppose?

Like -
    Mr. lonely - Akon
    And some other akon songs...I just can't get that one out of my head...

But rock is my favorite, hands down.
    ACDC
    Queen ftw!
    and some more i don't feel like remembering right now...
    SA$_/AI%20has log[d in.
    > S&ys|BT
    > P_s word?
    > OMEGA
    >> A^e_%20_u su!e? (Y/N)
    > Y
    >> S##t m_ Rebooting. Hello, Samuel.

Tsu
    Fanatic Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baha
    Popular music is often popular for a reason. Thousands of people can't be wrong lol. Sure, there's some awful artists out there who have way too much popularity to be allowed.

Speaking as one metal fan to another, I know you love underoath and the dillinger escape plan. I seriously can't understand that, but I know they're massively popular. Either I'm blind to your taste in music, or you're a hypocrite. The exact same can be said for chart music. Just because you don't understand why someone likes a certain artist is no need to tell them they have no "musical knowledge" or whatever. :P
    Underoath is alright but i dont like dillinger.
    Tdwp FTW

Dedicated Member

Classical? What's your definition of classical music? And how is it a genre? Perhaps the genre you're looking to express is orchestral music, not "classical" music.
    Either way, I really don't like genres. All they seem to do is limit people.
    "Oh, I only like rock"
    As if they wouldn't even try other music.
    I find that all you have to do is look around a bit. If you stick to the mainstream, that's severely limiting yourself.
    IN RAINBOWS

http://WWW.MYSPACE.COM/TIKWIDMUSIC
    IN / RAINBOWS
    IN RAIN/BOWS
    IN RAINBOW/S
    IN RAINBOWS/

Oh happy days, oh blessed morning light, the insight you bestow upon us enlightens us all!

Sadly, however, this is something everyone, from every generation finds out sooner or later, so yeah, most of us already knew this Im afraid.
    Ofcourse you wont immediately know what you like, and ofcourse you'll go with whatever trend is set at the time, simply because it is all you'll hear. You wont know better. As time progresses and you become more curious you'll find what you really find to be good music, and what you dont like. This is all natural, no heavenly discovery you should have to share with us. We all know.
    And that brings me to a different point, music taste differentiates. And as nicely as you had managed to bring it so far, sadly ignorance still shines through the facade. You managed to make it at least halfway through your post without whining about other peoples music taste like an idiot. Sure you may find Eminem a faggot, sure. You have no reason to though. You may not like his music, sure, neither do I. But fact is many people do. Does the fact that he makes music other than your tastes make him a faggot? No, it merely makes him an artist of other kinds than you prefer. Ignorance sucks. Stop being a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by S&S
    Okay, you're right for the most part on the popular music part. I, however, find that there is some really great stuff that's popular now. And I used to hate anything popular for that reason: it was popular. Now as I've matured, I know not to hastily block myself away from some potentially great music.

I don't really like genres. When I was a bit younger, I, like you, assumed genres to mean other good music. I liked Bloc Party, so I figured "hey why not listen to everything else that sounds like them?". I found out quickly that not everything in that genre was good, it just sounded a lot like Bloc Party.

From this, I've learned to not care about genres. I used to hate all rap but now I really like it. I've found good folk music, rap music, and everything else.

So sure, some people enjoy sticking to genres, but if you're trying to use this as a way to expand minds musically it doesn't work. At least, I think not.
    And with you, at least, I can fullheartedly agree. Or nearly, at least. These days we have 5000 genres, and then about a million subgenres within the subgenres of that genres subgenre. It makes no sense and doesnt help at all, it creates a lot of confusion and almost puts each individual band in a seperate corner. I do stick with general genres though, just to make things clear.
    Its easier to say 'I like metal' than I like bands like Bullet For My Valentine, Kahlma and The Agony Scene. People will understand you much quicker. However this positive effect is undone when you say 'I like drumlinetechnoindustrymetal with a touch of deathmetal' because no-one will understand what the fuck you mean.
    And after allll these years Ive been a metal fan, I have yet to coem across someone who can properly explain the difference between death metaland black metal, other than 'deathmetal is more about death than black metal.' because, gee, I kind of already figured that.

I listen to the popular stuff when i'm in the car, but other than that, I just browse around and find whats good for me. I dont' like any one genre more than the other, but I admit I don't listen to too much metal music.
    I'm gay.

Fanatic Enthusiast Flaming Wolf's Avatar

I'm being short, sweet, and to the point with mine.

Rock (It's just a classic, and there are many good rock bands again)

Some Emo (Not that hardcore emo like trash metal though, Iike mellow emo, nothing else)

Pop (Depends on who the artist is)

Alternative Rock (Bands like The Fray)

"Glam" Rock as my dad calls it (Like Fall Out Boy and Cute is What we Aim for)

That's really all my likes, I don't like Rap, R&B, or Country, I'm the mellow in this world :P
    [center:3m01loo1]CHECK IT OUT, I'M BACK
    ^THREAD^[/center:3m01loo1]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast