Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a drum, what should I look for?

Yes, I'm not a drummer but I love drumming simple shit at my friend's house.
    In other words: I suck. I really want to buy a full drum kit but I don't know how
    to look for one. I don't want a shitty beginner kit that sounds terrible but I also don't
    want a kit that is 2000$ or more.

I'm currently saving money and I would expect to buy a drum during summer or before.
    A budget of 1400$ max. But I'm sure I can get a good drum for less than $1400.

Recommended brand?
    Should I only buy the drum kit and cymbal aparts or Should I buy the drum kit
    with the cymbals.

Re: Buying a drum, what should I look for?

Ooo oo! Can I share this thread? Lawl.

I'm also looking for something good but not too expensive. Buying a laptop soon as well so want to keep my funds as high as possible

Anyway yeah, I'm looking on the net too, but wouldn't mind some insider knowledge.

Fanatic Enthusiast Fuddermuffin's Avatar

http://www.music123.com/
    That's the site I go to for my drumset stuff.
    To be honest, I wouldn't buy things in a set since they're usually crappy, but they do sell whole sets on that site so check it out.
    I don't know what the best deals are, I just know my drumset is good enough for me. :U
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1221454788.gif[/img] - Click Clack
    Steam ID: Fuddermuffin (Team Fortress 2)

I wouldn't ship from USA due to shipping cost and me living in Canada.
    I already have a website where I can buy my stuff, so that wouldn't be a problem.

You're saying your budget is 1400, but you won't pay more than 200? Does not compute :c You say you don't want a shitkit for 200, but for 200, shit is all you're gonna get. Expect to pay 500 for an average quality kit, and in the region of 1000 for a high quality kit. Those are brand new though. Only get a new kit if you're going to take it even slightly seriously. Second hand kits generally sell for half the original price but usually come with a lot of expensive repairs. I'd recommend the new kit if money isn't an object.

The brand is fairly important. Make sure you get a popular brand to be on the safe side. Your best bet is to go with either pearl, tama, mapex, sonor, yamaha or premier. Those come to mind when I think of "quality". All other brands are iffy, in my experience. In particular, stay a million miles away from peavey drums. The rack setups for the toms are horrible-looking, fragile and impossible to play. The brands themselves are generally assosciated with certain genres of music too. Premier focus on high quality snares, pearl focus on high quality bass drums, mapex and sonor have general rock sounds, yamaha is aimed at lighter indie music and tama is without doubt the iconic metal kit. Their pedals in particular are good, the Iron Cobra, although pearl's eliminators are just as good. I use a pearl target series kit myself, and I have to say it's still awesome, 2 years after me playing it. I'm biased, but go for a pearl kit. That at least I can guarantee to sound half-decent. Oh, I guess I should mention DW. I've heard a lot about them but never actually played a DW kit. In any case it's up to you *cough*pearl*cough* Oh, and get a 5-piece kit. All lessons are taught with 5-piece kits, and besides, there's nothing you can't do with a small kit if you just figure it out :3

When you buy the kit, it'll come with factory cymbals and heads. The heads, or skins, are just the surfaces on the toms, snare and bass. The factory heads sound like shit, and no matter how hard you try, you can never tune them to sound good. The heads are responsible for the level of sound quality of your kit, i.e. important. Head brands are simpler than kit brands. The only 2 brands worth mentioning are remo and evans. In my experience, evans have the best tom heads, remo have the best bass and snare. I have a powerstroke 3 remo bass, a remo ambassador snare and 6 evans EC1's on the toms, and they sound wicked. They're not EXTREMELY important but you should also replace the resonant heads, i.e. the heads on the underside of the toms/snare. Remo emperors/admirals are apparently the way to go, but being a cheap nigger, I haven't bothered replacing my resonants ever. At the very least, replace the batters (top heads), they're responsible for the dominant sound you hear. If you're strapped for cash, an alternative to replacing the heads is to buy moongels/o-rings (preferably o-rings, a little more expensive but cheaper in the long run. Moongels lose their adhesiveness after time). They deaden the sound and reduce the horrible aftertones that always accompany factory heads. Even cheaper: put a load of ductape or something similar all over the heads. Your kit will look like a pile of shit but at least it'll sound better.

The cymbals that come with the kit are crap, usually. The cymbals you need are the hats, a crash and a ride. Sabian, paiste and zildjian are the best brands, but expensive. There is a cheap alternative without sacrificing sound quality: meinl. They're a relatively new/unrecognised cymbal brand compared to sabian/zildjian and therefore their prices are lower, regardless of their quality. Definately worth looking into. You'll also need cymbal stands. The ones that come with the kit are fine. If you need another one, I recommend basix hardware, simply because it looks the coolest

If you're playing metal, invest in a cheap double pedal. Basix do great CHEAP double pedals. I got a basix double pedal for 120 euro a year and a half ago. I have pearl eliminators now (450 euro) but I could swear that the basix pedals are as fast as the eliminators.

One way or another you're gonna pay through the ass for drums. It's an expensive hobby man, I don't recommend it unless you're serious about it.
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Nice tips Darren.
    Oh and I say : I wouldn't pay over 2000, not 200.
    As being serious with drums, I'll probably will. I love percussion.
    You also cleared my mind regarding the cymbals.

Second question: electronic drum affordable?
    I heard high's and low regarding an electronic kit.
    Being able to play with headphones etc. Only, someone told me that good electronic
    kits only start at 3000$(is it true?) and that if you have a good amplifier and monitors that comes with it. My friend has a electronic kit and you can't hear the bass drum and the floor tom for shit.

Fanatic Enthusiast Fuddermuffin's Avatar

I say you should only buy an electric kit if your parents/neighbors don't want you banging on an acoustic one or you don't have enough space. If you think you'll be taking drums seriously, then acoustic is the best way to go.
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1221454788.gif[/img] - Click Clack
    Steam ID: Fuddermuffin (Team Fortress 2)

I would suggest a Tama set myself, although I have a Mapex, but I would love a Tama set. Click here to check some out, they have all kinds of categories, such as: Tama Classic sets, Imperialstar sets, and more. http://www.tama.com
    I don't know exact prices, but you can browse around and check them out
    v The Thread v

My advice is get a Pearl Forum kit, I had one (once) and now I am buying one again. They are great value for money, have a great sound, and come with all the bits you need to get started. As for cymbals, Paiste and Meinl do some great metal ones, whereas Ziljian and Sabian are better in my opinion for more old-school rockers.

Quote Originally Posted by James
    My advice is get a Pearl Forum kit, I had one (once) and now I am buying one again. They are great value for money, have a great sound, and come with all the bits you need to get started. As for cymbals, Paiste and Meinl do some great metal ones, whereas Ziljian and Sabian are better in my opinion for more old-school rockers.
    The price is great, and with a sabian pack it will cost about 1000$
    Thanks for your advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast