Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mics

Mics

I know there are a few musicians here and I'm wondering what kind of Microphones people are using / recommend for recording work. Though I have the feeling the majority are using a standard mic jacked to their PC.

I'm currently working on a University game using XNA, and doing some of the sound effects / narrative work. Anyone have any good personal recommendations on Mics on this type?.

I.e something like

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-C606-Dyna ... 2P4YG1MYQY

I've already got one on order however I will require another. Along with that I've ordered an anti pop screen just to ensure I get the clearest possible recording.

Veteran Enthusiast ULTRA1337piv0tz's Avatar

Re: Mics

Go to a near music store, and ask them for a good microphone you can connect to computers.

And yes, I have a real standard mic jacked on my computer.

That was pathetic.lol
    Steam: xendlessnl

Dynamic mics are versatile and cheap but very sensitive. They're designed to pick up on huge volume ranges. I'd recommend a condenser mic, they're much more sensitive and pick up on small nuances.

The direction the sound is picked up in can be an important factor, if you're picky. If you're recording in a noisy environment, look for "shotgun" microphones, they only pick up sound in one direction only, and cancel noise from all other sides. You can't be moving though. The sound source has to be from the same place every time. Not a problem for you though, you're not playing a gig or anything lol.

In your situation I'd go for a shotgun condenser. I'll name a few models and their prices...

Rode NTG1 - 250.
    Rode NTG2 - 270. For an extra 20 there's a huge step-up in the quality. Get this instead of the NTG1, if you're in the 2-300 price range.
    Sony CUE700 - 450.
    Audio-Technica 815ST - 800. The quality is ultimate, but the price is retarded. You'll never need another shotgun condenser mic though :P

I know those prices are all crazy but that's life lol. Of course, you CAN get a shitty omnidirectional mic that picks up cats mewing in scotland for about 5 quid. Depends on how good you want this game to sound.
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Thanks for the suggestions Darren I'll take a gander. Price isn't a absolute major concern as crappy sound won't do.

You know, I did a quick search around for different quotes on those mics I suggested and you can find some pretty awesome deals. The Rode NTG series mics can be bought for around 130 if you shop around. The sony and audio technica ones are consistently an arm and a leg though
    [center:3qmfvtqh][/center:3qmfvtqh]

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

It really depends on what you're looking to use it for. I know you said sound effects and narrative work, but it depends if you're looking for Hollywood-esque sound effects or some basic noises, and if you're hoping your voice is as clear as possible.

Anyways, my only experience with mics is buying SM57's for guitar recording, but I wasn't doing it for anything too serious, so I didn't worry about the downsides of a dynamic mic.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

I just use a logitech, though i got no good results with it and they broke a day after i got them. Good thing the mic is still intact.

^Dont get this crap^

But i guess it depends on what sort of thing your going for. Well, it seems youve got your answer but you should still ask the people at the store your buying it from.
    [img]http://**********.com/img/1255480693.jpg[/img]
    my thread

http://darkdemon.org/viewtopic.php?f=2& ... 8#p1189878

SX
    Fanatic Enthusiast

Not sure for recording, but the shure SM58 is a good live vocal mic

and the SM57 is a great recording mic for instruments

Quote Originally Posted by DarkDemon
    I'll take a gander.
    Fucking YES!

Anyways, I use the mic that came with my computer, but it's actually a really good mic.

what

I must recommend either a Samson C01U, which has a USB connection so that you can connect it straight to your computer, or a Behringer C1-U, which is around about the same price, maybe a little cheaper, but with the same sound quality and connections.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast