Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zombie Land

Zombie Land

Just watched ZombieLand, it was pretty awesome, i like how at the beginning when them two zombies are chasing after him, and one of the name's comes up and the girl runs into the o, and it actualy falls over, and how the rules just pop up.
    but, i just can't believe that there wasn't a single zombie that got run over in that film...

DUNGiful >> Milkshake >> .Dave >> Dyker

Re: Zombie Land

Pretty mediocre zombie film imo.

Veteran Enthusiast

I saw it in the theater a while ago, and I enjoyed it. I've actually seen it two or three times.

Quote Originally Posted by Skype
    Agreed, I actually thought it was pretty bad. As soon as they met the girls it all went downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickid
    Agreed, I actually thought it was pretty bad. As soon as they met the girls it all went downhill.
    by downhill, do you mean that there wasn't enough action in it, or..?

DUNGiful >> Milkshake >> .Dave >> Dyker

Veteran Enthusiast BEER BEER STRONG's Avatar

I thought it was pretty good. I made the mistake of watching it on opening day (unbeknownst to me) so the theater was full of rednecks cheering the whole time, and while that would normally ruin a movie for me I managed to still enjoy it in that environment.

I don't really know what there is to really dislike about it. I think it did what it set out to do pretty damn well.
    [center:16hbm10o]

He lost all his friends
    He didn't need his friends
    He lived with his mother and repeated himself[/center:16hbm10o]

Quote Originally Posted by BEER BEER STRONG
    I don't really know what there is to really dislike about it. I think it did what it set out to do pretty damn well.
    Agreed. When I first saw it I fucking loved it, dunno why. I still like it a lot, but I agree with OP; the girls kind of made the movie less enjoyable, but I still liked it. The opening was fucking awesome but I kind of wanted to see a bit more zombie action throughout the film.

Now that I think about it, a lot of zombie movies could use more awesome zombie shenanigans.
    [center:1o6efzo1]
    forum rules staff team forum search [/center:1o6efzo1]

Veteran Enthusiast

I thought it was pretty funny, lots of quirks and humorous parts in there. Didn't think it was the best film, but I enjoyed it. Great movie to watch with friends.

Second favourite ZomRomCom. Shaun of the Dead is obv first.
    R.I.P Grace - 18 November 1997 - 14 March 2011

|PM Me |My Thread |Request a Move Up |Report a Rulebreaker |The Rules |

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickid
    by downhill, do you mean that there wasn't enough action in it, or..?
    The movie was going in a fantastic direction with really good potential.
    Two opposing characters on the road to survival. One a cautious nerd with a gun and the other a brash zombie hunter with a thirst for death and twinkies. Great potential for a possible zombie-themed buddy comedy/coming of age story.

The scene with the girl coming into his apartment and becoming a zombie in his arms was absolutely fantastic. I also really loved the "Zombie Rules" that started out the movie. The movie just had this really unique feel right from the start.

The guys continue on the road and kick some ass, then they meet the girls who outwit them and take their guns and car. I guess this is supposed to provide a turning point/love interest, allowing for a potentially more climatic ending, but the story really could've done better without them entirely. Suddenly the zombie rules stop, a stupid social hierarchy sets in, and the story becomes a "girls vs guys" road trip.

Like a mediocre family road trip movie, the characters clash together till the girls start to soften up and they strengthen their bond. But really this "bond" appears in a matter of hours and has no real basis or depth whatsoever. It just consists of one character opening up to another, sharing uninteresting stories about the past and their hopes for the future.

The story continues with no realistic goal at all, leading up to one of the most ridiculous endings I've ever seen. But before I talk about that, I want to address the Bill Murray cameo.

The whole "blending in" with zombies is completely idiotic, it goes against everything about zombies. It seems they just needed something that eventually leads to the totally unnecessary and unfunny death of Bill Murray. The cameo itself was fairly surprising and I found myself laughing at tiny little bits. The "Garfield" part had me rolling. But seriously? Getting high and dying from a practical joke gone wrong is fucking stupid. There was no reason for them to kill Bill Murray from the plot other than to make a lame ass joke. Afterward, there's absolutely no reason for them to leave the PROTECTED MANSION in their possession, other the clearly superior idea of a THEME PARK being a safer haven from zombies.

And finally the ending scene. While I felt some actual tension in the aforementioned "apartment" scene, I could not take a single moment of the ending seriously. First off, if these girls are so superior and witty, why would they ever even consider going to an open theme park alone at night, imagining it would be zombie-free? I realize it was just a part of the little girl's hopes, it just seemed like a really stupid reason to put the characters in that sort of setting.

How would they know where the lights, controls, and electricity are for anything in the park? It seems to me that it would take so long in a FUCKING THEME PARK to find the control boxes that the zombies would eat them before they could even find a light switch.

The part where Harry goes into the stuffed-animal booth is so stupid. You clearly see like 6 magazines for his pistols, and he somehow manages to kill several dozens of zombies around his booth. Regardless of his severe lack of ammunition, you see zombies fall through the top opening right on top of him and he somehow doesn't become overwhelmed and eaten alive.

The final ride sequence with the "terror drop" is unclimactic and so ridiculous. Of course they shoot the control box and it somehow stops them perfectly at the top and of course the zombies know how to climb ladders and of course she lets the little girl use the only gun and of course they run out of ammo right at the last second.

The movie was great for the first 10-20 minutes then everything went downhill as soon as they met the girls. A potentially great movie was ruined by the desire to appeal to EVERY SINGLE PERSON by adding totally unnecessary and unfitting plot elements. Also, the movie had almost no reason to be rated R other than zombie tits in the opening scene and the "Bill fucking Murray" part. I think the acting was fine and the direction was ok. I even really liked that everyone was named after their home state. Everything else was pretty decent except for the most important part, the storyline. It lacked realism, humor, originality, and just common sense.

I realize it's just a movie and perhaps I'm taking it too seriously, but I genuinely disliked the movie and I have more than a few reasons why I feel that way.
    If you feel differently, great. Glad you got to see a movie you liked

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast